Pets & Home Cinema - Bad Mix ?

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
Going to be moving in a few months out in the country a bit so thought might get a couple of dogs or cats.

However do pets react well to the HC experience ?

This came to mind watching THE WOLFMAN cranked up the other day, and whether the vicious animal sounds would play havoc with pets.

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
There's no cut and dry, absolute answer to that, unfortunately. It depends on the character of the pet. One of my two dogs is oblivious to all loud noises, even fireworks, whereas the other does get bothered by explosions or thunder in a film, if the amp's turned up loud.

A

Anonymous

My cat Sooty is immune to this. He won't rush out the living room unless he senses someone at the front door and runs off and hides.

He might look-up at the arrays of surrounds that I have in the living room if there is bright like sound effect on the common sidewall surrounds or centre back surround arrays or maybe even the matrix overhead surround?

I did how ever notice him looking at the fronts a few weeks back with Lost Highway and the opening that has this still sound and intercom buzzing on the left and right and then centre. Sooty was looking at pinpoint accuracy as cats hearing is many octaves above our range.

A

Anonymous

bretty:There's no cut and dry, absolute answer to that, unfortunately. It depends on the character of the pet. One of my two dogs is oblivious to all loud noises, even fireworks, whereas the other does get bothered by explosions or thunder in a film, if the amp's turned up loud.

Thunder sound effects is different from real life thunder storm. An dog or cat maybe sensitive to frequency that and remember "the storm is quiet" that is how it should be on film soundtrack only with lower lowers because it doesn't have all this over bright sound that is rubbish its not being faithful enough to the real event.

Listen to Poltergeist the thunder lighting is mostly top end bright.

Last year there was thunder storming brewing over Bournemouth I think it was the same night Michael Jackson passed away. Now odd if, not a little strange it happened only hours after the news was announced.

I even used spectrumlab to record the frequency spectrum and it's a lot different from a film. I have yet to hear a decent thunder storm on film.

Twister no not even that comes near, oh its impressive but I think the sound effects editors need to spend more time listening to real life rather than just rushing out with microphone and recoding onto some DAT just so they can add more top end sparkle to it to bust out ears in, because a thunder storm just doesn't do that!

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
Could be cats then cos at least they can get up and go if they want.

Although in the new house I will have a separate HC room to the lounge so I could just shut them out but seems a bit mean.

A

Anonymous

richardw42:
Could be cats then cos at least they can get up and go if they want.

Although in the new house I will have a separate HC room to the lounge so I could just shut them out but seems a bit mean.

You got that right LOL.

My cat is an oddball over most other cats I know. He's an indoor cat so a bit nervous than most. But then most cats would scoot when they see someone that alarms them.

Anyway why mean? Do you take your cat or dog to the cinema? I've seen a large suitcase on wheels going into Empire 1 at Leicester Square and when I saw The X-Files I want to Believe in THX. Now what's stopping me from taking my cat to the Empire in his cat-box, huh?

How much do you want to bet that my cat will be world's first cat to go to the Empire Leicester Square?

Because if they can let someone in carrying a suit case and there is no telling what is inside it? It could be body inside the suite case or high explosives. Point is, it didn't look like it was checked and they just let him in.

So one day I'm going to take Sooty to the Empire after all he is half THX certified (shhhhh!) might as well let him experience the real thing. LOL

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
emotion-2.gif

Can't wait to read about that in the paper

A

Anonymous

I'm even daring myself to do it. But I don't know how my cat would handle real life long distance travel on coach then the short walking distance from Victoria coach station to subway underground two trains I have to switch from and then walking though Leicester Square with my cat.

Also he's damn heavy and carrying cat around in cat-box will be tiring.

I'll take some water in bottle to pour out for him and two packets of cat food.

Now I'm daring myself but I don't want to see a 3D film I'm not excited about it anymore. That includes Toy Story 3 DOLBY 7.1.

Just a good film that I can sense has good DOLBY film mix in regular 6track, 2D.

Then we can see if real THX cinema sound system will have my cat meowing LOL or bet is he'd be relaxed like he is when watching a film on his side of the sofa, (his side of the sofa).

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts