My quest for better sound (751BD)

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

duaplex

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
bigboss said:
surroundman said:
Hi guys,

Should I put to PURE DIRECT MODE CA 751 and also ONKYO 818 during the testing ?

Many thanks

Pure direct mode turns off all AV processing, crossovers, display etc. and is suitable for only stereo sound performance. It's good to test for listening to CDs but not while watching movies.

BigBoss are you referring to the Player option or AV?

When speaking to pioneer they advised me to switch the AV to direct sound mode. Agreed on the bluray side of things for stereo :)

GSB

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
duaplex said:
My thoughts exactly GSB. Now I wonder what difference a more expensive analogue cable would make >)

Glad you are having a good experience.
Probably not as much as one thinks,but 'ya never know ;)

atkins4725

Jul 17, 2007
Visit site
Possible daft question but do you just have to buy multiple sets of analogue cables for use with the analogue outputs or can you buy dedicated 5.1/7.1 sets??? It's just I'm using Chord Chorus and these aren't cheap lol.

GSB

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
surroundman said:
Ok guys,

how much I have to spent to buy decent analog ( 5.1) cables if I go for CA751 to connect Yamaha 2010 ?

What brand is ok ?

Thank you
I have QED analogues,they are reviewed by WHFI aswell so it is worth a read...think they retail at about £40.

GSB

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
atkins4725 said:
Possible daft question but do you just have to buy multiple sets of analogue cables for use with the analogue outputs or can you buy dedicated 5.1/7.1 sets??? It's just I'm using Chord Chorus and these aren't cheap lol.
One set is for front L/R....one set for suround L/R...one set for center&sub...this is how my oppo sets up anyways.(5.1)

sorry didn't read your post correctly...i think you can only buy the leads seperatly.

duaplex

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Not daft at all, we all learn together on these forums. They are normal phonos that you use. One exception is the sub cable, this too is a phono and as long as its sheilded you will be fine.

atkins4725

Jul 17, 2007
Visit site
duaplex said:
Not daft at all, we all learn together on these forums. They are normal phonos that you use. One exception is the sub cable, this too is a phono and as long as its sheilded you will be fine.

So all analogues from the 751 to the multi channel on the AVR and then a digital cable from the AVR to the sub?

I did try connecting the sub directly to the 751 which sounded awesome but the problem arrised when i turned down the AVR with the remote and the sub volume didn't budge lol.

duaplex

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
atkins4725 said:
duaplex said:

So all analogues from the 751 to the multi channel on the AVR and then a digital cable from the AVR to the sub?

I did try connecting the sub directly to the 751 which sounded awesome but the problem arrised when i turned down the AVR with the remote and the sub volume didn't budge lol.

You got it!

Check the av setting for the multi channel setting, the sub may be turned up. Generally the 751 shoud control the sub so using an SPL meter bring it up 75db, or go up to 85db if its undewhelming :) remember these are only guidance numbers here.

gellie

Apr 4, 2013
Visit site
Hello new here.Anybody using a oppo 105 with their Marantx SR7005.? If so please share what is the optimal hook up. I'm trying to use the DAC in the Oppo for CD's,( 2 channel ,2.1) Squeezbox touch(hooked into the oppo also 2.0,2.1), Apple TV ( also hooked into the Oppo, 5.1). I'd like to use the 7005 for processing DVD/3D/Blu Ray for 5.1 audio can this be done? Would I have to input the oppo into the multi channel blue ray via RCA L/R/C, L/R surrounds and sub then using Pure direct for 2.0 audio? What about 2.1 audio? I'm really trying to optimize the best sound quality. Thanks in advance.

GSB

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
I do that have your amp but yes you need to use rca conectors from the oppo to the avr.If your sub,like mine,has its own power it will work fine.Just remember to set your avr so that it knows to use the multichanel analoge conections from the 105:)

For the marantz to do proccesing just use normal conection,hdmi etc.

gellie

Apr 4, 2013
Visit site
Thanks GSB, So would something like this be best?
I was thinking :
1) 105 into the marantz 7.1 analog(5.1)
2) Oppo into marantz (BD input ) HDMI
3) squeezebox touch into Oppo ( coax) so I can use the Oppo DAC.
4) Apple TV into marantz (HDMI) and optical into Oppo. Although I don't know if this is overkill since I use the Apple TV just for movies.
Thanks in advance.

GSB

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
gellie said:
Thanks GSB, So would something like this be best?
I was thinking :
1) 105 into the marantz 7.1 analog(5.1)
2) Oppo into marantz (BD input ) HDMI
3) squeezebox touch into Oppo ( coax) so I can use the Oppo DAC.
4) Apple TV into marantz (HDMI) and optical into Oppo. Although I don't know if this is overkill since I use the Apple TV just for movies.
Thanks in advance.
I cant say about the squeezebox as i have never had one,or the aple tv.

But my set-up is this:105 into avr with 5.1 analogues.(i use the balanced L/R)

105 into avr hdmi lead.

For music i set the avr to recieve sound from the 105 via the multichanel rca leads...then use the avr pure direct mode when playing(sub being used)

For movies i set the avr to recieve sound from the multichanel rca,and visual from the hdmi...this way the 105 does the sound proccesing.

Hope this helps

gellie

Apr 4, 2013
Visit site
Thanks,

Currently when i play a CD on my old Elite dvd player,and use pure direct, sound only come out of the front L/R. No sub.

duaplex

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Gellie - Oppo fortunately have fantastic customer support if you need them. If you read my opening post you will see how I have mine set up.

Michael - Just ordered two QED subwoofer signature cables, one for 751 to amp and one from amp to sub. I wonder how good they really are?

GSB

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
duaplex said:
Michael - Just ordered two QED subwoofer signature cables, one for 751 to amp and one from amp to sub. I wonder how good they really are?
Forgive me but i'm just using an rca from 105 to amp,am i missing something....should i be using a sub cable?:)

michael hoy

GSB said:
duaplex said:
Forgive me but i'm just using an rca from 105 to amp,am i missing something....should i be using a sub cable?:)

The cable you are using will be perfectly fine, if you were using the bog basic red or white leads and have a long run (25') some interference could be picked up.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts