Open letter to Editor...

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
idc:chebby:

....(2) Televison/home cinema users make better decisions about their equipment and are happier so we don't hear as much from them......

I'm with al...
emotion-7.gif

Another great mind.

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
professorhat:

Seems no one likes the TVs. I read the TV super tests every month and I'm not even contemplating a new TV at the moment, I just like to keep my knowledge up to date.

Am I odd?

Yes. But it is, by that definition, the odd ones who are responsible for much of what is good about the site.

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
Pete Shields:
What I'm tending to notice lately though is that there is definately a bias towards the AV side of the market in the mag. There are still revolutionary new products coming out for av and hifi, but the av side makes all of the news. The new Panasonic Bluray recorder is something that we are all interested in. Two pages was ok, but more editorial would have nice. A new product was also released and reviewed on the Hifi side in this issue. The Cyrus 8 XPD is also out this month. Again revolutionary with the built in DAC. It only gets half a page - 250ish words. People who go as far to read this review and possibly lay out £1500 are enthusiasts. More information is needed. Some comparisions with other systems built up with a seperate DAC would have been nice. I read more on the web & forum about it. More editorial is definately needed

I suppose part of the problem is that everybody on this forum likes to give advice, which is a great thing, but waters down the magazine's content somewhat. The magazine will never really be able to answer my specific questions (whilst keeping the rest of the readership happy) like the forum's knowledgeable members. My only worry is that every month I take less time to read the magazine, because I have already read about the content in here. At this rate in a few months, I could see myself reading the articles of interest at the magazine aisle at Tesco whilst the wife goes on the trolly dash...

emotion-21.gif

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
I concur with much that has been written. Buy a TV and forget about it for a few years. And whilst you're at it eat a bag of low quality, yet expensive grated cheddar in a sandwich.

Next month back to Asian Babes and Loaded.

ÿ

idc

Why is it that all of the TVs on the front cover feature a picture of a pretty lady?

(Actually, I think I might know why TVs feature on the front cover of What Hifi. Last month the TV showed the babe from Lost, this month its another hotty, next month I bet you its another lady. Its like all the adverts for hifi that feature reclining beauties reading books with a whimsical look on their face. What Hifi must think that we are all really shallow and go on looks alone. I like Kate Winslet, any chance of featuring a TV with her on it for a future issue?)

simonlewis

Apr 15, 2008
Visit site
The tv's in the mag is the best bit, it's the first thing i read, in fact the pany PZ81 what i know have made it onto the front cover last year.

kena

May 28, 2008
Visit site
chebby:

JoelSim:They do Chebby. But remember most of this country eat bleached, sliced white bread.

Bleached white bread eaters probably like to cart their kids around everywhere in planet munching 4x4's so their kids get no exercise.

But the wholemeal eating, bobble hatted, planet friendly eco bicyclists cart their toddlers around in these on their way to the local Whole Earth bakery....

41FMJE5H53L._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Guaranteeing maximum possible doses of inhaled diesel fumes for their under 5's. (Not to mention the sheer terror of staring up at juggernaut wheels about to crush them!)

I love White Bread , don't drive a 4 x 4 , hate brown bead with bits in it...Walk sprog to school unless it's raining bad..Not as interested in tv's now since I bought mine (WHFSV reviews helped) Think balance is pretty good , would like more on integrating digital into older systems.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
It's not a snobby thing, it's about understanding quality ie giving Asda and Tesco the swerve. Yet in real terms TV is where it's at. As long as you can see Cheryl Cole in HD as a family...

ÿ

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
I am not a small chap, so i assure im not givin' it the big mckeith. But i simply must point out that not all healthy (- er?) bread has bits and tastes like cardboard.

Anyway, everyone knows im far more/less of a(n) (inverted?) snob than anyone! Yes i am yes i am yes i am.

See, and no flakey referencesto items of food or transport or property or shoes or...gramur, punktu8shun, sin-tacs...

Um, freedom for tooting...
emotion-18.gif

kena

May 28, 2008
Visit site
JoelSim:

It's not a snobby thing, it's about understanding quality ie giving Asda and Tesco the swerve. Yet in real terms TV is where it's at. As long as you can see Cheryl Cole in HD as a family...

So ASDA & Tesco don't deliver any quality ?

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
idc:

I like Kate Winslet, any chance of featuring a TV with her on it for a future issue?)

Not without putting the mag in a black bag, no. See, she would insist on being nude - at least topless - and, probably, crying pathetically about being so grateful to be given yet another chance to disrobe.

Whetehr i share your view on her appearance is quite beside the point.

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
kena:JoelSim:

Oh, i shouldnt think its that so much as, well, yoy really feel youve got quality when youve had to buy your veggies from farmer giles who has whined on relentlessly about his giant European subsidy.

Think i best stop soon.

kena

May 28, 2008
Visit site
al7478:kena:JoelSim:

Oh, i shouldnt think its that so much as, well, yoy really feel youve got quality when youve had to buy your veggies from farmer giles who has whined on relentlessly about his giant European subsidy.

Think i best stop soon.

Only farmer I know is John - (Neil Young )

idc

Kate Winslet served between two nice slices of Bergen bread, on blue ray, in widescreen and with surround sound, hold the mayo ................... which of the many What Hifi editors is this letter to anyway?

John Duncan

al7478:professorhat:

Seems no one likes the TVs. I read the TV super tests every month and I'm not even contemplating a new TV at the moment, I just like to keep my knowledge up to date.

Am I odd?

Yes. But it is, by that definition, the odd ones who are responsible for much of what is good about the site.

Wibble.

A

Anonymous

Andrew Everard:
Kevin Stephens:I'd be interested to see the comparative figures for magazines on buying/downloading music rather than gear, ie Gramaphone, BBC Music, Classic FM Mag and the equivalent pop/rock mags.

They're all available on the ABC website.

The interesting thing about the ABC is that the number of subscribers has actually increased in both percentage and absolute terms. WHFS&V has typically had a small subscriber base, indicating its position as a dip-in, dip-out publication used as a buyers guide. This was certainly the case when the ABC was at its height. The subscriber base was around half of what it is now and under 10% of the purchase. Now it's up near 20% and has approximately doubled in quantity.

This would indicate to me, at least, that the readership is becoming more loyal in terms of regular purchase.

Simon Lucas

Jun 5, 2007
Visit site
idc:Kate Winslet served between two nice slices of Bergen bread, on blue ray, in widescreen and with surround sound, hold the mayo ................... which of the many What Hifi editors is this letter to anyway?

The Tasty Bird Editor, naturally. But I think he's in Germany for the boxing.

idc

Simon Lucas:

The Tasty Bird Editor, naturally. But I think he's in Germany for the boxing.

Bill Oddie is now a boxer in Germany? Actually I like Kate Humble as well as all of the other ones I like.

PS - Simon do you know anything about about the FiiO review?

Simon Lucas

Jun 5, 2007
Visit site
I'm hoping to find space for it in September's First Tests. But as I'm out of the office, I can't pretend I've made too much progress on it today.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts