Philips 55PFL8008 or something else? Confused.

Page 16 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
andrew_cawood said:
Just wanted to say thanks to all for the advice on this thread. Just got my ue55 f8000 from John Lewis with the price match at around £1850, I paid the full amount but got the money back a day after I received the tv. Also just applied for the £200 cash back - just over £1600 it's an incredible deal. It's a considerable step up from my 4 year old Sony Bravia tv but still trying to work out how to use it properly and get everything to play nice together!

Just used the money back for a marantz ud7007 which arrives next week. Exciting times!

+1 nice one :cheers:

At that price it represents one hell of a deal and I'm over the moon with mine now the initial problem has been ironed out.

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
Update:

Last night whilst watching a bluray movie the F8000 done exactly the same thing again as detailed in my YouTube video and rebooted itself 44mins into the movie (The Talented Mr Ripley)...nooooo :wall:

This time I turned the movie off and went to the Panasonics menu and switched off the Viera Link option (HDMI control) and it didn't happen again during the remaining 90mins of the movie so I'm hopeful it's just an issue between Panasonics Viera Link and Samsungs Anytime Net+ systems but only continued movie viewing can say if that's solved it or not. I think I may end up turning off the Anytime Net+ on the tv too just to be sure as all it means is I have to switch sources over manually as I get no other advantages from leaving it on but I'm going to try one thing at a time first.

Got to admit I'm very annoyed with this issue now as it's starting to ruin my experience with this tv as you simply can't watch a movie on it and it's the first time I've come across an issue like this with no answers for what is causing it, even Samsung were as helpful as a kick in the nether regions so it seem I'm just left to try and work it out for myself which is just frustrating to say the least |(

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
Hello Oldboy,

Gee, you're having a frustrating run! I wonder if the problem is somewhere in your Panasonic DMP-BDT500 Blu-Ray player? If you go to the "Blu-Ray players" section of this Forum you will see that psurguhart has just started a thread called something like "Panasonic DMP-BDT Got Issues" and although the symptoms that he describes differ from yours, one thing that you have in common is the Blu-Ray player, which until now had been one of my favourites and which I would certainly have bought if I had a spare £270. I'm not sure, but I don't think that you get this rebooting problem when just watching (Freeview) TV, so that maybe points to the Blu-Ray player (rather than your luscious Samsung 55F8000) as being the culprit?

rocketrazor

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
:doh:

I feel for you buddy, this can't be a pleasant time at all.

Out of interest have you tried watching a film through your PS3, or does you PS3 when gaming cause the TV to turn off? If you can game for hours without any issue that would also indicate that your Blu-Ray may be the issue. You could even try swapping the HDMI ports round if its plugged into the TV (not sure if you plug all into your amp).

Fingers crossed you get that sorted soon

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
rocketrazor said:

Out of interest have you tried watching a film through your PS3, or does you PS3 when gaming cause the TV to turn off? If you can game for hours without any issue that would also indicate that your Blu-Ray may be the issue. You could even try swapping the HDMI ports round if its plugged into the TV (not sure if you plug all into your amp).

Thanks rocket but must admit I'm quickly becoming very annoyed with this continued issue. If I could isolate it then it wouldn't be so bad as I could at least find a way round it or be able to report what's going on better to Samsung who have been useless up to now, I've now put my issue in writing via email to them in a strongly worded letter and have stated that if the issue isn't resolved within 7 days I will be rejecting the tv as not fit for purpose although that will be through my retailer.

The PS3 is fine and I can game for as long as I like without issue so I would presume that watching a movie would be the same on it, I do have a different HDMI cable running to that though which is an old QED one as opposed to the Wireworld Chroma 7 HDMIs I have connected to my bluray player and from receiver to the tv but I can't see how cables that new and good that have performed brilliantly until this tv could be the issue? Especially when they are of a higher spec than the QED one connected to my PS3 and besides which it's still the same Wireworld Chroma 7 HDMI that goes to the tv regardless of the device.

All my sources are plugged into my receiver first and that acts as a HDMI switcher with one Wireworld Chroma 7 HDMI going to the tv and plugged into HDMI 3 which is the only ARC equipped port on the tv, I use this to give me sound from Freeview TV when on occasion it's used and is a feature I want to keep. My next step after turning off all the HDMI control options on both my devices and the TV will be to swap over HDMI ports but I won't be happy losing ARC and that would seem like a fundamental design flaw to me no?

I just want an end to this issue as apart from this I'm really happy with the tv, going to call Panasonic and see if it's an issue with Viera Link I think.

Wish me luck :wall:

D

Deleted member 2457

Good luck.
smiley-smile.gif

mr malarky

Apr 4, 2009
Visit site
rocketrazor said:

Think rocket has a good point here, try watching blurays on your ps3 and see if the fault reoccurs - if you could isolate the issue to a single source that would be good, as it definitely sounds like an HDMI signal issue of some sort (given that its not happening while watching freeview etc).

You must be tearing your hair out at this point!

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
mr malarky said:
rocketrazor said:

Think rocket has a good point here, try watching blurays on your ps3 and see if the fault reoccurs - if you could isolate the issue to a single source that would be good, as it definitely sounds like an HDMI signal issue of some sort (given that its not happening while watching freeview etc).

You must be tearing your hair out at this point!

Thanks for the advice guys.

Yesterday I got yet another example of Samsungs abysmal level of customer service when they replied to my email. They asked me to update the firmware on the tv yet the link they sent me within the email goes nowhere with just an oops message from the Samsung website when you click on it....seriously can they not even provide a correct link??

Completely inept has been my experience of their supposed customer service, it needs renaming to couldn't care less or perhaps haven't got a clue and is by far the worst customer service experience I have had from any AV company and is completely laughable at best. When you buy a £2500 tv you should expect better service than this no?

Anyway rant over and a little light at the end of the tunnel happened last night. Went to watch a few movies last night and try to work out what the issue is and after a bit of experimenting it would seem it's simply the Viera Link on the bluray player causing the issue as I managed to watch the bluray of Flight all the way through without issue last night along with all the extras and before that I had AVS HD 709 on all afternoon as I was using an i1 display pro meter with HCFR calibration software to calibrate the tv again with no issue. Still getting to grips with the meter and software but enjoyed the experience.

With Viera Link turned off on the player I've not had an issue with any device since but it's still early days and I've been here before with other things I've tried so I won't say it's cured yet but it's looking good and it's the first time I've got through a movie without the tv rebooting itself at least once which marks some progress at last no thanks to Samsung.

One last thing...I got a completely different experience when I phoned Panasonic on Friday as they were excellent. They went through a few possible solutions on the phone with me and got me to open up some hidden menus but couldn't solve it over the phone so have referred the issue to the engineers who will contact me next week for more information that they may use in a future firmware update. Now I have a strong feeling it's the Viera Link causing the issue I can relate this to them and hopefully a work around can be found by Panasonic but I have to say they were excellent to deal with.

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
rocketrazor said:
Sounds promising, fingers crossed and keep us posted

Thanks rocket and the good news continued last night as I got through Potter Deadly Hallows Part 1 in 3D and Millers Crossing blurays without an issue so it really does look like somehow the Virea Link on my Panasonic DMP-BDT500 bluray player is the culprit here but how on earth it causes the TV to reboot itself like that I have no idea.

It's even stopped my Tivo box from doing it too as that has had no issues since I turned off Viera Link but again how on earth it would affect the Tivo box is beyond me...very strange indeed :?

mr malarky

Apr 4, 2009
Visit site
Oldboy said:
rocketrazor said:
Sounds promising, fingers crossed and keep us posted

Thanks rocket and the good news continued last night as I got through Potter Deadly Hallows Part 1 in 3D and Millers Crossing blurays without an issue so it really does look like somehow the Virea Link on my Panasonic DMP-BDT500 bluray player is the culprit here but how on earth it causes the TV to reboot itself like that I have no idea.

It's even stopped my Tivo box from doing it too as that has had no issues since I turned off Viera Link but again how on earth it would affect the Tivo box is beyond me...very strange indeed :?

I'm tempted to say don't question it too much, just sit back and enjoy that lovely new telly! :)

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
Hello all,

Just a quick update to say that I received my £200 cashback cheque from Samsung this morning so the final price for my 55F8000 was £1686, just thought it was worth sharing as it means the TV was indeed a real bargain. Many thanks to gel in particular and to everyone else who helped in advising me as I've ended up with a cracking TV at an unbeatable price from a very good retailer leaving me feeling very happy with my purchase :dance:

D

Deleted member 2457

Oldboy said:
Hello all,

Just a quick update to say that I received my £200 cashback cheque from Samsung this morning so the final price for my 55F8000 was £1686, just thought it was worth sharing as it means the TV was indeed a real bargain. Many thanks to gel in particular and to everyone else who helped in advising me as I've ended up with a cracking TV at an unbeatable price from a very good retailer leaving me feeling very happy with my purchase :dance:

No probs mate - glad you are happy, it certainly was a great deal! :cheers:

rocketrazor

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
Now you have had the tv a while oldboy I wondered what you thought of the gaming on it?

i also tried to look for your review but couldn't find it. Any idea where abouts it is? I probably missed it looking through this thread!

cheers

rocketrazor said:
Now you have had the tv a while oldboy I wondered what you thought of the gaming on it?

i also tried to look for your review but couldn't find it. Any idea where abouts it is? I probably missed it looking through this thread!

cheers

http://www.whathifi.com/forum/tvs-and-projectors/my-samsung-ue55f8000-review

rocketrazor

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
bigboss said:
rocketrazor said:

cheers

http://www.whathifi.com/forum/tvs-and-projectors/my-samsung-ue55f8000-review

cheers bigboss, I had indeed completely missed it :)

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
rocketrazor said:

cheers

I have found gaming on it the same as on my previous Sony HX853 as long as Game Mode is used, on the rare occasion I've forgot to turn that on you can notice the lag but with it on it performs well and I've noticed no problems when playing COD online and it remains the case that it's my own ageing reactions that remain the issue and not the TV.

What I have noticed is that motion is far smoother on the F8000 that on my previous Sony when gaming, I can't say I really noticed it that much at the time but the Sony is alot more jerky in comparison to the F8000. Got to say I'm loving the extra screen size for gaming and the TV is performing really well but I couldn't work out where one article was saying you could rename the Game Mode setting to PC to get even better responce times as I can't find anything within the TV menus that allows that, indeed I can't even find a PC setting...very odd.

Still a happy chappy with the TV and for my needs it really was the best purchase I could have made as it is a great compromise between movies and gaming. Glad you found the review and thanks to bigboss for posting the link, hope you enjoyed it despite it being epic in length :oops:

TRENDING THREADS