Philips 55PFL8008 or something else? Confused.

Page 14 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

mikey2008

Dec 24, 2008
Visit site
mikey2008 said:
Sorry to hear that too. You gave a lot of good advice when I got my 55hx873 and I guess it's a shame that you didn't go for the same size. Hope you get it sorted soon. I always buy from JL as they are superb.

Sorry, typo: 55hx853

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
mr malarky said:
At the risk of sounding like a grumpy old man, why can they not just cut out speakers, smart functions, and all the other gubbings, and just make us a very large monitor that gives a fantastic picture and is reliable!?!

Because, apparently, smart functions appeal to the masses, to the average casual punter (who probably won't even notice common faults like uneven backlighting) when really the smart functions could be done quicker on an iphone or something similar, which I do not possess.

Not sure whether I agree about the speakers though, I quite like having speakers on my televisions.

mr malarky

Apr 4, 2009
Visit site
Son_of_SJ said:
mr malarky said:
At the risk of sounding like a grumpy old man, why can they not just cut out speakers, smart functions, and all the other gubbings, and just make us a very large monitor that gives a fantastic picture and is reliable!?!

Not sure whether I agree about the speakers though, I quite like having speakers on my televisions.

On small and medium TV's, yes, but how often do you watch one of your large screens without running the audio through a receiver and speaker set-up?

Not saying they shouldn't give the option of having speakers included, just think it would be nice if they offered a 'purist' option of monitor only (a bit like denon did when they offered their BluRay player that was a transport only with just a single HDMI out, no dacs, no analogue video out, just stripped down to the bare minimum).

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
mr malarky said:
On small and medium TV's, yes, but how often do you watch one of your large screens without running the audio through a receiver and speaker set-up?

Er, okay. I usually listen with the TV sound through amplifier and external speakers, yes.
smiley-embarassed.gif

D

Deleted member 2457

Oldboy said:
Hello all got an update for you:

There is some bad news with my Samsung UE55F8000...it's developed a fault and is being replaced next week :cry:

Last night whilst finally getting round to watching my bluray of American Beauty the TV started to turn itself off and on again like it was rebooting, the picture would go off then I would get the boot up logos and back to the smart menu. This happens every 2-10 mins completely at random with no pattern to the issue and was limited to just bluray until this morning when it started to affect TV from my Virgin Tivo box, it's very strange indeed and the TV is only 72 hours old...what the fault is I have no idea but no amount of setting changes or factory reset solves it so any ideas would be appreciated.

I called John Lewis this morning who I have to say were simply excellent and offered me a no quibble replacement which will be delivered on Thursday with the current one being picked up at the same time, I was offered the chance to swap it at the store I bought it from but I would have to wait until Tuesday for it to be delivered ready for pick up and to be frank I'm sick of going backwards and forwards with the cost and time involved so I'm getting it delivered to my home.

Got to say I'm surprised that such an expensive TV could suffer from such a serious fault so quickly, please don't say I'm now on the TV merry go round again as I've had enough of that to last me a lifetime. Got everything crossed that the replacement has no such fault and that I get no further issues.

It's also worth mentioning that this current TV also suffers from backlight bleed in 3D and it's quite bad in places and in particular the bottom corners, to get an acceptable image you have to dial down the backlight to 5 (out of 20) and even then on blacks you can still see it but dialling back the backlight anymore ruins the picture. Perhaps this is just a faulty TV in general as no reviews mention this issue, infact quite the opposite as the TV has been praised for it's backlight uniformity and complete lack of bleed :wall:

Not a happy chappy today and after finding out today that i've got to have a wisdom tooth out on wednesday and another repaired it's been a bad day all round :cry:

This review does talk about a crease being an issue:

http://reviews.cnet.co.uk/tvs/samsung-ue55f8000-review-50011654/

Have you seen that?

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
gel said:

Have you seen that?

Funny that as I noticed it last night. What I will say is that it's not a huge issue and not really a "crease"...it looks more like an LED issue with a slightly brighter half to one centimtere line that on my set seems to only affect the bottom of the screen. It is very hard to spot most of the time and is never a distraction and it's only visible with certain colours but it's not an issue that concerns me I have to say, right now I'm watching the athletic trials on BBC2 HD and you can see it against the track colour but to be completely honest unless you stare at the bottom of the screen you don't even notice it and it's certainly not a deal breaker.

It's not as if you spend your time looking just at the bottom of the screen so when just watching the action you never notice it and when you do it's not a glaring issue, strange, but not a problem when watching the TV. Will be interesting to see if the replacement is any different in this regard though or if it can't be dialled out with some calibration or by engaging any of the features on the TV...might have a go shortly and see if you can get rid of it.

D

Deleted member 2457

Oldboy said:
gel said:

Have you seen that?

Funny that as I noticed it last night. What I will say is that it's not a huge issue and not really a "crease"...it looks more like an LED issue with a slightly brighter half to one centimtere line that on my set seems to only affect the bottom of the screen. It is very hard to spot most of the time and is never a distraction and it's only visible with certain colours but it's not an issue that concerns me I have to say, right now I'm watching the athletic trials on BBC2 HD and you can see it against the track colour but to be completely honest unless you stare at the bottom of the screen you don't even notice it and it's certainly not a deal breaker.

It's not as if you spend your time looking just at the bottom of the screen so when just watching the action you never notice it and when you do it's not a glaring issue, strange, but not a problem when watching the TV. Will be interesting to see if the replacement is any different in this regard though or if it can't be dialled out with some calibration or by engaging any of the features on the TV...might have a go shortly and see if you can get rid of it.

I wasn't sure whether it was what you were talking about in the first place, that is why I thought I would point it out. That does not sound too bad then - phew!

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
gel said:
I wasn't sure whether it was what you were talking about in the first place, that is why I thought I would point it out. That does not sound too bad then - phew!

No it wasn't what I was talking about first of all. I'm loading up a video of the original issue to YouTube right now so you can all see the issue of the TV rebooting itself when watching a blu ray and I will add a link when it's done, it happens first time 3 mins into the vid then again at about 8mins and I think I captured 3-4 instances of it happening in 15 minutes. It's started to do it with my Tivo box now too but strangely only when a radio station is selected which is just weird :?

As for the "crease" it's not an issue to be concerened about and you simply don't notice it unless you look for it and even then it's not always visible, would still like to know what is causing it though as I'm now wondering why it didn't get picked up in other reviews??

Any news on the VT65 front gel? Have you gone for it or still mulling it over?

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
Watch a video of my Samsung 55F8000 issue on YouTube here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VpgI71jZ6Vk

Skip to 3mins in to see the first example then to 9.34 for the second and 14.23 for the third and 19.25 for the last example...really annoying as you can't watch a movie, very strange indeed :?

At first I was convinced it was a HDMI handshake issue but even with HDMI control turned off on both the tv and blu ray player it still happens so I'm at a loss, fingers crossed the replacement is ok. What makes it even stranger is that I had 2 days of trouble free viewing and had watched a few movies prior to this happening which is why I'm of the opinion it's a fault.

D

Deleted member 2457

Oldboy said:
gel said:

No it wasn't what I was talking about first of all. I'm loading up a video of the original issue to YouTube right now so you can all see the issue of the TV rebooting itself when watching a blu ray and I will add a link when it's done, it happens first time 3 mins into the vid then again at about 8mins and I think I captured 3-4 instances of it happening in 15 minutes. It's started to do it with my Tivo box now too but strangely only when a radio station is selected which is just weird :?

As for the "crease" it's not an issue to be concerened about and you simply don't notice it unless you look for it and even then it's not always visible, would still like to know what is causing it though as I'm now wondering why it didn't get picked up in other reviews??

Any news on the VT65 front gel? Have you gone for it or still mulling it over?

I have bought the 3D HDMI cable I want for it. Next I am buying a new 3D Blu ray player and then the TV. Blu ray player hopefully soon, in a week or so. TV probably a couple of months away.

D

Deleted member 2457

Oldboy said:

Skip to 3mins in to see the first example then to 9.34 for the second and 14.23 for the third and 19.25 for the last example...really annoying as you can't watch a movie, very strange indeed :?

At first I was convinced it was a HDMI handshake issue but even with HDMI control turned off on both the tv and blu ray player it still happens so I'm at a loss, fingers crossed the replacement is ok. What makes it even stranger is that I had 2 days of trouble free viewing and had watched a few movies prior to this happening which is why I'm of the opinion it's a fault.

The YouTube clip does not seem to be working mate.

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
gel said:
Oldboy said:

Ooops forgot to set it to public viewing, should be fine now so have a look :)

D

Deleted member 2457

Oldboy said:
gel said:
Oldboy said:

Ooops forgot to set it to public viewing, should be fine now so have a look :)

Yep, a fault for sure, not good.

D

Deleted member 2457

I thought the picture in general was really good though.

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
Thanks gel.

You can't always be sure when it's just your opinion so it's great to know I'm not the only one who thinks it's a faulty TV.

Yeah I'm really happy with the picture quality and when the replacement comes my mate has an eye1 calibration camera and software so it will get a proper screen calibration, if it works out then I won't need to pay for a calibration which is great news...of course I will give him a few quid for the trouble but at least it won't be £200-300.

As I've spent more time with the tv the happier I've become and I'm sure a fault free one would suit me perfectly, very happy with it indeed :grin:

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
rocketrazor said:
You got your new tv yet mate?

Yep arrived yesterday evening :bounce:

Still testing it at the moment but no problems so far so fingers crossed that continues, will report back over the weekend with how it's performing. With Finding Nemo in 3D earlier it was superb though so it's looking good and it never turned itself off once which was good.

EDIT:

Just uploaded this reply and it switched itself off and on again whilst watching my Tivo box!!! What is going on?? Do I have some sort of conflict in my system? Can't be two identically faulty TVs surely!?

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
bigboss said:
:doh:

Looks like a faulty batch. Ask for a replacement from a different batch.

Is it worth contacting Samsung first bigboss? I'm just wondering if it's a simple conflict...perhaps with my receiver as all my sources go through it? It seems like too much of a coincidence that 2 TVs would suffer exactly the same issue :wall:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts