Philips 55PFL8008 or something else? Confused.

Page 13 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
gel said:
Ah nice one!
smiley-smile.gif
Looks like a hell of a TV. Looking forward to your review of it. :cheers:

Thanks gel.

Review incoming once I get to grips with it and hunt down some settings to give me a head start with calibration as the miriad of options is baffling at the moment :grin:

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
What will happen to your old Sony 46HX853 (is that the correct model number, now that you've changed your signature?)? Will you do what I do, which is to relegate it to another room, but not sell it?

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
Son_of_SJ said:
What will happen to your old Sony 46HX853 (is that the correct model number, now that you've changed your signature?)? Will you do what I do, which is to relegate it to another room, but not sell it?

I've sold it Son_of_SJ. I had a friend who had his eye on it from the day I bought it so I decided to cash in as it lessened the impact of buying the Samsung. A new bigger bedroom tv is on the cards though at some point to replace my old budget 32 inch Samsung and a 40 inch would be just about right at the foot of my bed, i'm not looking at top of the range in there though and I'm in no hurry to change it.

If I was more patient and saved for longer I could have kept the 46HX853 for the bedroom but to be completely honest I just don't watch tv in the bedroom very often so it's not a major concern for me.

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
I do have one complaint about my new Samsung TV though...the mains lead is way too short! It's shorter than 1 metre in length and is pathetic for such a big top of the range tv. It's also on the opposite side to every other TV I have owned so I can't run it down my trunking to my Tacima mains conditioner.

Fortunately the mains lead is a 2 pin figure of eight job so I think I should be able to buy a much longer lead to replace the stingy effort that Samsung provide out of the box, I presume it's not a problem to replace the mains cable???

Could anyone recommend a good place to buy a new mains cable for the TV please?

mr malarky

Apr 4, 2009
Visit site
Oldboy said:
I do have one complaint about my new Samsung TV though...the mains lead is way too short! It's shorter than 1 metre in length and is pathetic for such a big top of the range tv. It's also on the opposite side to every other TV I have owned so I can't run it down my trunking to my Tacima mains conditioner.

Fortunately the mains lead is a 2 pin figure of eight job so I think I should be able to buy a much longer lead to replace the stingy effort that Samsung provide out of the box, I presume it's not a problem to replace the mains cable???

Could anyone recommend a good place to buy a new mains cable for the TV please?

Replacing a mains cable is not an issue - I had to do the same on a previous Samsung LED set that I had wall mounted in a bedroom (brought a 5 metre cable online and it worked just fine).

Any electronics/cables website should serve you well, though be careful if buying off amazon (you don't want a cheap imported chinese job).

Congrats on the new TV! It's been a long road so glad your happy with the result and looking forward to that review!

:cheers:

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
I would buy this (if 3m is right): http://www.amazon.co.uk/Power-Cord-Plug-Figure-Cable/dp/B003OSTV00/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1373486962&sr=8-4&keywords=figure+8+power+cable

Cost and location of manufacture is not going to make a difference as long as it works and is safe.

mr malarky

Apr 4, 2009
Visit site
BenLaw said:
I would buy this (if 3m is right): http://www.amazon.co.uk/Power-Cord-Plug-Figure-Cable/dp/B003OSTV00/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1373486962&sr=8-4&keywords=figure+8+power+cable

Cost and location of manufacture is not going to make a difference as long as it works and is safe.

Though cost and location of manufacture can have a bearing on whether its safe. I'm not suggesting Oldboy pay lots of money here, just that £10 from an established UK retailer is a better bet than £1.99 from an unknown online reseller trading through amazon or eBay, when its a cable connected to the mains supply when your asleep/out the house etc.

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
mr malarky said:
Though cost and location of manufacture can have a bearing on whether its safe. I'm not suggesting Oldboy pay lots of money here, just that £10 from an established UK retailer is a better bet than £1.99 from an unknown online reseller trading through amazon or eBay, when its a cable connected to the mains supply when your asleep/out the house etc.

Thanks guys for the advice and with that in mind I found these two:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/HDIUK-metre-Figure-mains-fitted/dp/B002K65HUU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1373487017&sr=8-1&keywords=figure+eight+uk+2+pin+power+cable+3+metres

http://www.thatcable.com/product/UK-Figure-of-8-Mains-Power-Lead

I'm after a half decent not imported from China 3 metre lead and don't want to spend a fortune like the £50 upwards on some cable sites and I think £20 max is more than enough to spend on the cable. I'm more cautious because, as you say, it's a mains cable and safety is a very high priority here so any thoughts would be most appreciated.

BenLaw said:

I've got that. Works well.

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
Hello all got an update for you:

There is some bad news with my Samsung UE55F8000...it's developed a fault and is being replaced next week :cry:

Last night whilst finally getting round to watching my bluray of American Beauty the TV started to turn itself off and on again like it was rebooting, the picture would go off then I would get the boot up logos and back to the smart menu. This happens every 2-10 mins completely at random with no pattern to the issue and was limited to just bluray until this morning when it started to affect TV from my Virgin Tivo box, it's very strange indeed and the TV is only 72 hours old...what the fault is I have no idea but no amount of setting changes or factory reset solves it so any ideas would be appreciated.

I called John Lewis this morning who I have to say were simply excellent and offered me a no quibble replacement which will be delivered on Thursday with the current one being picked up at the same time, I was offered the chance to swap it at the store I bought it from but I would have to wait until Tuesday for it to be delivered ready for pick up and to be frank I'm sick of going backwards and forwards with the cost and time involved so I'm getting it delivered to my home.

Got to say I'm surprised that such an expensive TV could suffer from such a serious fault so quickly, please don't say I'm now on the TV merry go round again as I've had enough of that to last me a lifetime. Got everything crossed that the replacement has no such fault and that I get no further issues.

It's also worth mentioning that this current TV also suffers from backlight bleed in 3D and it's quite bad in places and in particular the bottom corners, to get an acceptable image you have to dial down the backlight to 5 (out of 20) and even then on blacks you can still see it but dialling back the backlight anymore ruins the picture. Perhaps this is just a faulty TV in general as no reviews mention this issue, infact quite the opposite as the TV has been praised for it's backlight uniformity and complete lack of bleed :wall:

Not a happy chappy today and after finding out today that i've got to have a wisdom tooth out on wednesday and another repaired it's been a bad day all round :cry:

D

Deleted member 2457

Oldboy said:

There is some bad news with my Samsung UE55F8000...it's developed a fault and is being replaced next week :cry:

Last night whilst finally getting round to watching my bluray of American Beauty the TV started to turn itself off and on again like it was rebooting, the picture would go off then I would get the boot up logos and back to the smart menu. This happens every 2-10 mins completely at random with no pattern to the issue and was limited to just bluray until this morning when it started to affect TV from my Virgin Tivo box, it's very strange indeed and the TV is only 72 hours old...what the fault is I have no idea but no amount of setting changes or factory reset solves it so any ideas would be appreciated.

I called John Lewis this morning who I have to say were simply excellent and offered me a no quibble replacement which will be delivered on Thursday with the current one being picked up at the same time, I was offered the chance to swap it at the store I bought it from but I would have to wait until Tuesday for it to be delivered ready for pick up and to be frank I'm sick of going backwards and forwards with the cost and time involved so I'm getting it delivered to my home.

Got to say I'm surprised that such an expensive TV could suffer from such a serious fault so quickly, please don't say I'm now on the TV merry go round again as I've had enough of that to last me a lifetime. Got everything crossed that the replacement has no such fault and that I get no further issues.

It's also worth mentioning that this current TV also suffers from backlight bleed in 3D and it's quite bad in places and in particular the bottom corners, to get an acceptable image you have to dial down the backlight to 5 (out of 20) and even then on blacks you can still see it but dialling back the backlight anymore ruins the picture. Perhaps this is just a faulty TV in general as no reviews mention this issue, infact quite the opposite as the TV has been praised for it's backlight uniformity and complete lack of bleed :wall:

Not a happy chappy today and after finding out today that i've got to have a wisdom tooth out on wednesday and another repaired it's been a bad day all round :cry:

That is not good mate! At least John Lewis are sorting it out with another one.

D

Deleted member 2457

My Sony once turned itself off and on, but it was down to there being a off and on switch on the bottom of the remote I think. Only happened once and I am pretty I must have pressed it when I put it down.

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
gel said:

Thank god I took your advice gel and went to John Lewis as they were faultless on the phone with no arguments or even a hint of getting it repaired which was very nice indeed as it meant no arguments or hassle like I got from Richer Sounds.

Fingers crossed for the replacement and my review will have to wait until then. What I will say now though is that the detail offered up by this TV is exceptional and I'm really happy with it apart from the fault and iffy backlight in 3D.

Have contacted Samsung today to notify them of the fault and to enquire about the backlight in 3D, don't expect an answer until next week though as sent an email.

D

Deleted member 2457

Oldboy said:
gel said:

Thank god I took your advice gel and went to John Lewis as they were faultless on the phone with no arguments or even a hint of getting it repaired which was very nice indeed as it meant no arguments or hassle like I got from Richer Sounds.

Fingers crossed for the replacement and my review will have to wait until then. What I will say now though is that the detail offered up by this TV is exceptional and I'm really happy with it apart from the fault and iffy backlight in 3D.

Have contacted Samsung today to notify them of the fault and to enquire about the backlight in 3D, don't expect an answer until next week though as sent an email.

Yep, John Lewis are really good like that. Not sure what to say on the backlight issue, hopefully the next one is okay.

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
Thanks gel.

Been here before so I know what to expect if the problem occurs again or any other issues arise, will keep you posted how the replacement fares but if it's not up to scratch then it might be plan B...??

D

Deleted member 2457

Oldboy said:
Thanks gel.

Been here before so I know what to expect if the problem occurs again or any other issues arise, will keep you posted how the replacement fares but if it's not up to scratch then it might be plan B...??

What is plan B?
smiley-smile.gif
Because you sold your Sony TV, didn't you? I don't think we will be able to beat this deal too.

rocketrazor

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
That's not good dude, sorry to hear it. My sisters samsung (es7000 I think) developed this fault. Turned out to be the smart feature board in the tv was faulty or something. Repair agent replaced it at home and fingers crossed its been ok since. Hope your next one is ok.

rocketrazor

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
Oldboy said:
Thanks gel.

plan b isn't the panny is it :O

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
gel said:
Oldboy said:
Thanks gel.

What is plan B?
smiley-smile.gif
Because you sold your Sony TV, didn't you? I don't think we will be able to beat this deal too.

You know what plan B is...Sony W905 or Panasonic VT65. I know I would have to put more towards either but that's plan B and yes I've sold the Sony but got my bedroom TV as back up but hopefully it won't come to that and the replacement isn't faulty.

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
rocketrazor said:
Oldboy said:
Thanks gel.

plan b isn't the panny is it :O

It could be...that or the Sony W905 would be plan B. Thanks for the info about what the fault might be, that makes sense as it takes you to the smart screen when it reboots. Just hope the replacement is OK and that it doesn't come to that as I really like the F8000, it's a clear step up from my old HX853 :)

D

Deleted member 2457

Oldboy said:
gel said:
Oldboy said:
Thanks gel.

What is plan B?
smiley-smile.gif

You know what plan B is...Sony W905 or Panasonic VT65. I know I would have to put more towards either but that's plan B and yes I've sold the Sony but got my bedroom TV as back up but hopefully it won't come to that and the replacement isn't faulty.

Ah okay. Yep, fingers crossed again.

mr malarky

Apr 4, 2009
Visit site
Oldboy said:

Gutted! So sorry mate, hopefully just a Friday afternoon model. I had a panny plasma a few years back that developed a "switch myself off at random" fault, had it replaced and the replacement is still going strong 8 years later at my friends house so hopefully all will work out ok.

At the risk of sounding like a grumpy old man, why can they not just cut out speakers, smart functions, and all the other gubbings, and just make us a very large monitor that gives a fantastic picture and is reliable!?!

mikey2008

Dec 24, 2008
Visit site
Sorry to hear that too. You gave a lot of good advice when I got my 55hx873 and I guess it's a shame that you didn't go for the same size. Hope you get it sorted soon. I always buy from JL as they are superb.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts