Philips 55PFL8008 or something else? Confused.

Page 15 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
D

Deleted member 2457

Oldboy said:
bigboss said:
:doh:

Looks like a faulty batch. Ask for a replacement from a different batch.

Is it worth contacting Samsung first bigboss? I'm just wondering if it's a simple conflict...perhaps with my receiver as all my sources go through it? It seems like too much of a coincidence that 2 TVs would suffer exactly the same issue :wall:

It does sound like a bit of a coincidence. Definitely worth exploring all options now. What sources does it happen with?

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
It happens with my Virgin TiVo box and my bluray player gel...there must be something causing this although I did stumble on reports of the same fault on last years ES8000 models but no idea what caused it or potential solutions. I also can't find how to update the firmware, there is an option in the TV menu for a software update but I'm not sure this is the same thing?

It's difficult for me to do much searching as I'm out and relying on my phone to search, better wait until I get home to do more in depth research.

Oldboy said:
bigboss said:
Also update the firmware. There has been an update (1004) since launch.

Mine is showing Current version 1103 and when I search the TV says no updates are available... :?

According to their support page, the latest firmware is 1102.2, which sounds like previous version ot yours. Very strange. :?

You can only update the firmware via USB, so not sure if it will show any outstanding updates (it probably should!).

rocketrazor

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
Have you tried bypassing your amp and plugging directly into the tv to see if it still does it? If you go through your amp as well what about trying a different hdmi port. You'd have to be really unlucky to have two doing the same thing

D

Deleted member 2457

rocketrazor said:
Have you tried bypassing your amp and plugging directly into the tv to see if it still does it? If you go through your amp as well what about trying a different hdmi port. You'd have to be really unlucky to have two doing the same thing

Different HDMI ports is a good idea.

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
gel said:
rocketrazor said:

Only problem with that idea is ARC...as far as I'm aware the TV has only one ARC compliant HDMI port unless I'm mistaken? I'm out visiting friends now but will give all your suggestions a go when I get home so keep the ideas coming please.

Seems strange a firmware update can only be done via USB...does that mean the software update option on the TV is a different option to firmware??

D

Deleted member 2457

Oldboy said:
gel said:
rocketrazor said:

Only problem with that idea is ARC...as far as I'm aware the TV has only one ARC compliant HDMI port unless I'm mistaken? I'm out visiting friends now but will give all your suggestions a go when I get home so keep the ideas coming please.

Seems strange a firmware update can only be done via USB...does that mean the software update option on the TV is a different option to firmware??

Can you try it without it? Did you also say you changed the mains? Go back to the old one and try? Try different HDMI cables?

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
bigboss said:
gel said:
Did you also say you changed the mains?

Oops.....that may well be the issue if you did change your mains! :doh:

Mains not the issue as the last TV was doing it with the original mains lead, only changed it when this arrived yet its the exact same issue I had before so I think its safe to say the mains cable isn't the problem but I will check it anyway.

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
gel said:
Oldboy said:
gel said:
rocketrazor said:

Can you try it without it? Did you also say you changed the mains? Go back to the old one and try? Try different HDMI cables?

Sure HDMI cables are not the issue as never had this with my old Sony HX853, the only new component is the TV and the cables are all decent ones. Will check for new firmware for the 2020 as well just in case that's an issue.

Will have to take the TV off the wall tomorrow and experiment with other ports etc and see how it goes, thanks for all your help.

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
The only thing that I can think of just now is to try the antenna, the Freeview HD input to the television. Have you a roof Freeview aerial? Perhaps the TV will not switch itself off if you select TV rather than HDMI from the Source input? Bad luck, indeed, Sir.

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
Son_of_SJ said:
The only thing that I can think of just now is to try the antenna, the Freeview HD input to the television. Have you a roof Freeview aerial? Perhaps the TV will not switch itself off if you select TV rather than HDMI from the Source input? Bad luck, indeed, Sir.

Another thing to try their so many thanks Son_of_SJ. I'm starting with HDMI control or Anynet+ as Samsung (for reasons known only to themselves) like to call it, I've turned it off on all devices and will see how I get on with that then I will try all the other suggestions but I will be contacting Samsung tomorrow to discuss the problem.

Not that I've watched much Freeview tv as I've got Virgin Tivo but it's never happened on either tv when viewing free to air tv or indeed when using the Playstation 3, it's been limited to just Tivo and the bluray player which suggests to me that it may be a HDMI issue of some sort so some trial and error over the weekend may reap rewards. Of course I will keep you all updated with my progress.

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
Update:

Phoned Samsung this morning and they are of the opinion that a HDMI conflict exists with my devices which would be the Tivo box and my bluray player but one problem with that theory is that when I checked I couldn't find a HDMI control option on the Tivo box, is that correct?

Anyway when I got home last night I checked the 2020 receiver firmware version and it was 1.41 and after looking on the Yamaha support page found that version 1.60 was the latest version so I carried out the update via USB and then reset the HDMI link on all my devices by turning it off then turning the devices off and powering them back up and turning the HDMI control back on. Although I've only had the tv showing my Virgin Tivo service this morning so far no instance of the issue but of course I will keep an eye on it and if it happens again I will turn off the Anytime+ HDMI control on the tv and see how I get on.

One last thing before I go...during my conversation with Samsung they said the latest software version for my tv was 1102.2 as bigboss pointed to and they had no idea how my tv was showing 1103, I'm of the opinion that's the latest version it ships with but surely they should know what version tvs are shipping with now no?

Oh and 2000 posts from me now which is a bit of a milestone although way behind alot of you on here.

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
Quick update...no further instances yesterday of the issue and I had the tv on all day as I continue to recover from having my wisdom tooth out and the other repaired. Going to get through a few movies today and see how the bluray player fares so fingers crossed i've seen the end of the issue as I'm eager to post a review of the tv without being influenced by the issues I've encountered so far.

D

Deleted member 2457

Oldboy said:
Quick update...no further instances yesterday of the issue and I had the tv on all day as I continue to recover from having my wisdom tooth out and the other repaired. Going to get through a few movies today and see how the bluray player fares so fingers crossed i've seen the end of the issue as I'm eager to post a review of the tv without being influenced by the issues I've encountered so far.

How is things going mate?

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
gel said:

Fine thanks gel :rockout:

It would seem that either the receiver update and/or the resetting of the HDMI link has solved the issue as it's not happened since and got to say I'm really enjoying the TV, it's amazing how much of an issue the DSE on my HX853 actually was because the F8000 is crystal clear with no sign of it and I have to say it makes a real difference to picture quality as panning shots are super smooth and detailed.

Going to post a full review soon with all the pros and cons I've picked up on so far so won't ramble on any further but in short I'm very happy with my purchase and posted off my claim to Samsung for my £200 cashback a few days ago :grin:

mr malarky

Apr 4, 2009
Visit site
Oldboy said:
gel said:

It would seem that either the receiver update and/or the resetting of the HDMI link has solved the issue as it's not happened since and got to say I'm really enjoying the TV, it's amazing how much of an issue the DSE on my HX853 actually was because the F8000 is crystal clear with no sign of it and I have to say it makes a real difference to picture quality as panning shots are super smooth and detailed.

Going to post a full review soon with all the pros and cons I've picked up on so far so won't ramble on any further but in short I'm very happy with my purchase and posted off my claim to Samsung for my £200 cashback a few days ago :grin:

Happy days!

Glad to hear things have worked out Oldboy. :)

D

Deleted member 2457

Oldboy said:
gel said:

Nice one.
smiley-smile.gif

rocketrazor

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
Oldboy said:
gel said:

:bounce: glad it's looking good oldboy, look forward to the review

andrew_cawood

Nov 13, 2011
Visit site
Just wanted to say thanks to all for the advice on this thread. Just got my ue55 f8000 from John Lewis with the price match at around £1850, I paid the full amount but got the money back a day after I received the tv. Also just applied for the £200 cash back - just over £1600 it's an incredible deal. It's a considerable step up from my 4 year old Sony Bravia tv but still trying to work out how to use it properly and get everything to play nice together!

Just used the money back for a marantz ud7007 which arrives next week. Exciting times!

D

Deleted member 2457

andrew_cawood said:
Just wanted to say thanks to all for the advice on this thread. Just got my ue55 f8000 from John Lewis with the price match at around £1850, I paid the full amount but got the money back a day after I received the tv. Also just applied for the £200 cash back - just over £1600 it's an incredible deal. It's a considerable step up from my 4 year old Sony Bravia tv but still trying to work out how to use it properly and get everything to play nice together!

Just used the money back for a marantz ud7007 which arrives next week. Exciting times!

Nice one! :cheers:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts