No panasonics!

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I am really annoyed not only does panasonic have no more plasmas intended to be shipped in of the old range, the new range will be much more expensive as a result of what i can only assume is the low pound policy of the government. Things are bad and this isn't even the start of it yet!, how do the LG's compare? i am thinking about that as an alternate.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
hi fi newbie:the low pound policy of the government.

I don't think it's actually a policy...
emotion-18.gif

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
hi fi newbie: I am really annoyed not only does panasonic have no more plasmas intended to be shipped in of the old range, the new range will be much more expensive as a result of what i can only assume is the low pound policy of the government.

I don't think it's the government's idea to have the pound as weak as it is, I'm sure they'd love to see it recover! You could equally blame the strength of the Yen, all the Japanese manufacturers are banging their prices up.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
Andrew Everard:
hi fi newbie:the low pound policy of the government.

I don't think it's actually a policy...ÿ
emotion-18.gif

But it would be good if we manufactured and exported goods Andrew.

But we don't

Hmmm

Need a new policy Darling. How about a strong pound and some of the bankers' bonuses put back into the economy. Perhaps a high tax on bonus payments over £5,000.

ÿ

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
the_lhc:You could equally blame the strength of the Yen, all the Japanese manufacturers are banging their prices up.

And that's definitely not Japanese government policy.
emotion-40.gif

A

Anonymous

Governments do pursue a currency devaluation sometimes as it raises inflation and thus helps them to repay government debt. However if that is not their intention, well the 2 trillion of government borrowing has led to the same effect.

Anyways....back to the LG's

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Andrew Everard:
the_lhc:You could equally blame the strength of the Yen, all the Japanese manufacturers are banging their prices up.

And that's definitely not Japanese government policy.
emotion-40.gif

Indeed, listening to the radio last night it seems the Japanese government is all out of policies, interest rates are down to 0.1%, the government doesn't have the money to try kick starting their economy a la Brown and Obama any further, and they've just had their biggest quarterly shrink since the oil crisis in the 70s. Trouble is their entire economy is based on exports, so until the rest of the world picks up, they're stuffed.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
hi fi newbie:

I am really annoyed not only does panasonic have no more plasmas intended to be shipped in of the old range, the new range will be much more expensive as a result of what i can only assume is the low pound policy of the government. Things are bad and this isn't even the start of it yet!, how do the LG's compare? i am thinking about that as an alternate.

The LG's are definitely improving - we're starting to see some LG sets (plamsa and LCD) that can compete on performance as well as value.

However, i wouldn't write off the new Panasonics as out of your price range just yet. When new ranges come in, they tend to hold up on price for a whlie, then the market gets ultracompetitive and the prices get trimmed.

Mind you, that's in a normal year. Nothing too normal re pricing in 2009 so far
emotion-7.gif

A

Anonymous

Well one thing is for sure, it's definitely shaping up to be an interesting year. However it sounds like I should at the very least take a look at LG not least because the guy in richer sounds birmingham suggested that as far as tv's are concerned. the LG had very good sound quality.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Clare, any advanced word on specs for the new Panasonic TVs? Somebody mentioned something about wireless HDMI the other day, which would be interesting, but I'm wondering if they're geting mixed up with wireless DNLA?

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
Um...i might be missing something but, according to panasonic, some of their tvs are actually meant to be cheaper than the last lot were whn they first emerged arent they? im thinking specifically of the "37 plasma to start with.

A

Anonymous

I read an interesting article yesterday that Panasonic's bosses are telling their employees to buy something, anything in the Panasonic range to boost sales. Speaks volumes about the dire situation we are all in. So, wouldn't you think that when they produced a winner like the BD55, they would make enough to supply the demand?

emotion-53.gif

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Cameraman:
I read an interesting article yesterday that Panasonic's bosses are telling their employees to buy something, anything in the Panasonic range to boost sales. Speaks volumes about the dire situation we are all in. So, wouldn't you think that when they produced a winner like the BD55, they would make enough to supply the demand?

They're gearing up for the replacement at the moment, should be out in a month or so.

A

Anonymous

the_lhc:Clare, any advanced word on specs for the new Panasonic TVs? Somebody mentioned something about wireless HDMI the other day, which would be interesting, but I'm wondering if they're geting mixed up with wireless DNLA?
The top of the range Z series is wireless. From the USA announcements "The flagship VIERA plasma in 2009 is the Z1 series, with a revolutionary one inch thin panel design and Wireless HD connectivity to deliver the ultimate sleek, uncluttered HDTV viewing experience" Comes with a box which can be postioned upto 10m away.

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
the_lhc:Clare, any advanced word on specs for the new Panasonic TVs? Somebody mentioned something about wireless HDMI the other day, which would be interesting, but I'm wondering if they're geting mixed up with wireless DNLA?

Details here, here and here.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Andy Clough:

Details here, here and here.

KEWL!!! Any ideas when we might see the much vaunted Viera Z1 over here?

I liked this bit: One of the smartest things about the system, as we saw demonstrated
yesterday on the Panasonic stand, is that the technology allows the
wireless beam between screen and source component to 'steer' around
obstructions in the room, such as people walking about, without the
signal breaking up.

At 60Ghz I think you might find it's not so much "steering around" people walking about, as going straight through them! Still 10m range is easily near enough for what I want to do.

Let's hope the picture is up to scratch...

Dazmb

Aug 26, 2007
Visit site
Clare Newsome:hi fi newbie:

The LG's are definitely improving - we're starting to see some LG sets (plamsa and LCD) that can compete on performance as well as value.

However, i wouldn't write off the new Panasonics as out of your price range just yet. When new ranges come in, they tend to hold up on price for a whlie, then the market gets ultracompetitive and the prices get trimmed.

Mind you, that's in a normal year. Nothing too normal re pricing in 2009 so far
emotion-7.gif

I noted that Richer Sounds are warning on their website of price rises due to the currency shinanigans. As to the original question the chap could still pick up a 08 model range plasma. I have! The 37" PX80 based on WHF fanfare for it - and it's brill. Especially as I have had to say goodbye to my Sony D3000 LCD after nearly a year due to white clouding on screen and then a week ago I got a Panny LDZ80, and guess what? Same problem. Totally fed-up with LCD I got the plasma after much searching as they are nearly out of supply most places. Glad I did ;)

I checked out the LG plasma's at a Tesco, including the novel 32" set. Pretty good I must say. And very good value too. The thing that put me off getting one is trivial, but an essential for me in that they don't have RCA audio output jacks! How silly an ommission is that in this day and age?

D.J.KRIME

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
Personally when I was upgrading my old Panasonic I looked at a lot of screens LG included and can't say I was too impressed with what LG had to offer at the time and went for a Samsung as not only was it a 5 star What-Hifi product but it was far better VFM over the Panasonic's and Pioneer's.
emotion-21.gif

A

Anonymous

Regarding rising prices due to the exchange rate, if things don't pick-up in six months or so, I would not be surprised if we see some currencies being specifically devalued if companies cannot sell their products. Or, is that being too pessimistic?

emotion-53.gif

TRENDING THREADS