LG prices are crazy

flashgordon1952

Dec 16, 2019
Visit site
Just looked at the latest prices of there top of the range and middle range models They was eye watering indeed. Even compared with Sonys latest models |( well over priced in my view ) I could not believe the prices they wanted . Sorry to say there is no way ,any TV is worth this sort of money. £2100 and £2600 for the G3 another price hike again. What is in these TVs "Gold" maybe? This compares with Hisense very top of the range at £1400 for a 55 inch 2022 model and middle range a QLED £700 2020 model .
Okay yes the LG might have a longer warranty , but after 2 years it be out of date anyway. Laser technology and mini LED. One strange thing was the 2020 model was QLED and the 2022 model is OLED. Get the impression companies are moving away from QLED , or is it just a really fancy name . Just to get people to buy them ( note Samsung ) ,daft in my view.
But all of this is moving away from that technology , next it is Laser technology. Hisense are putting out several models of this tech this year This would not stop me as a buyer and being someone who watches up to 18 hours watching my TV and vids ( this is well above the average watching is it not ??? ( note one of my TVs i am using the 3D Plasma is 12 years old and in my opinion nothing i seen matches them ,in the real world of watching TV ) , from paying these crazy prices on something that will be replaced and up graded ( again) in 2 years time . Ultra thin TVs will be here in say 5 years time now ,but will they be any better in real world TV. At the moment there are still not enough 4 k transmissions ,are there any ?? yes there is BT ultra sport is the only 4k transmission in the UK . So what is the point of 4 k anyway ? Video films are , So no wonder why i have not notice any difference in the TV transmission ,here in the UK. Why bother with 4k technology anyway ,when it is not available on main stream TV. Note i think the BBC transmitted 4k or was it 3D for the last Olympics .
The only reason why they moved to LCD/LED technology ,was because it was a lot cheaper to produce ,not because it was better than PLASMA. t he latest 2012 models had 4k 3D and 400/600 hz tech. If only they continued with it, instead in going backwards with it. Progress does not mean better , it simply means the manufacturers can make more profits and easier to produce and sell. Not saying anything against certain countries or that we here in the Uk ( cheap means also cheap labour does it not ) fell asleep ,in the production of TVs being it CRT or PLASMA or even LED. Did we ever produce LED TVs at any time or LCD for that mater??

The Beeb streams some sporting events in 4k, as well as a chunk of its natural history output. It looks great - give it a try. There's also an increasing rate of issue of 4k discs - the vast majority of which are worthwhile steps up from the blu ray versions.

Why do you capitalise plasma, by the way? It isn't an acronym - it's the fourth state of matter.

Reactions: doifeellucky
Sorry to say there is no way ,any TV is worth this sort of money.
Have to disagree - mine is worth every penny in terms of viewing pleasure. And in strict linguistic terms, progress does mean better. In TV terms, it definitely does - I had three plasmas before the OLED, and none held a candle to it.

Also fail to see why you single out LG - the Richer Sounds pricing for current models varies little between brands, and the three most expensive 60-65" sets are all non-LG - a situation repeated in 55-58", and at 77" again the most expensive is not an LG.

The only reason why they moved to LCD/LED technology ,was because it was a lot cheaper to produce ,not because it was better than PLASMA. t he latest 2012 models had 4k 3D and 400/600 hz tech. If only they continued with it, instead in going backwards with it.
1) There was never a production model 4K plasma TV ever sold.

2) Not just production costs, plasma TVs wouldn't have been able to pass the tough energy regulations.

flashgordon1952

Dec 16, 2019
Visit site
1) There was never a production model 4K plasma TV ever

2) Not just production costs, plasma TVs wouldn't have been able to pass the tough energy regulations.
yes there was as i saw one 103 inch plus model with 4 k capable TH152UX 1 Panasonic but there was also a company unknown make 103 inch inch that was for sale on ebay . It is thought another 6 years of development many problems would have been sorted out weight andf power consumption. note the 152 inch model used 3700 watts per hour consumption . According to a number of experts ? 4k and better models for movement would have been out in 6 years even 8 k maybe. What killed the plasma is well known EU rules on so-called safety did not help one little bit and those nasty cheaper , not better LCD/LED models . It is a question of what might have been ? now guys are buying CRT models what ??>? So keep an eye on 20 inch CRT TVs that are working ie the Trinitron . Look found one at a jumble sale working £10 if only Note there is a B and O 28 inch for sal;e on Ebay with built in vhs recorder bid starts £40 only 480 max resolution still ideal for those old games By the way can still buy new s-vhs machines . Just wonder this is the next "thing" to have after 12 inch records vinyl ??

Last edited:
yes there was as i saw one 103 inch plus model with 4 k capable TH152UX 1 Panasonic but there was also a company unknown make 103 inch inch that was for sale on ebay . It is thought another 6 years of development many problems would have been sorted out weight andf power consumption. note the 152 inch model used 3700 watts per hour consumption . According to a number of experts ? 4k and better models for movement would have been out in 6 years even 8 k maybe. What killed the plasma is well known EU rules on so-called safety did not help one little bit and those nasty cheaper , not better LCD/LED models . It is a question of what might have been ? now guys are buying CRT models what ??>? So keep an eye on 20 inch CRT TVs that are working ie the Trinitron . Look found one at a jumble sale working £10 if only Note there is a B and O 28 inch for sal;e on Ebay with built in vhs recorder bid starts £40 only 480 max resolution still ideal for those old games By the way can still buy new s-vhs machines . Just wonder this is the next "thing" to have after 12 inch records vinyl ??
I wouldn't really call a $500000 TV a production model. Energy rules in the US (especially California) and Europe combined with the economic downturn forced several TV manufacturers to exit, most notably Pioneer and Fujitsu, meant plasma had no future.

Last edited:
Reactions: WayneKerr

busb

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
Just looked at the latest prices of there top of the range and middle range models They was eye watering indeed. Even compared with Sonys latest models |( well over priced in my view ) I could not believe the prices they wanted . Sorry to say there is no way ,any TV is worth this sort of money. £2100 and £2600 for the G3 another price hike again. What is in these TVs "Gold" maybe? This compares with Hisense very top of the range at £1400 for a 55 inch 2022 model and middle range a QLED £700 2020 model .
Okay yes the LG might have a longer warranty , but after 2 years it be out of date anyway. Laser technology and mini LED. One strange thing was the 2020 model was QLED and the 2022 model is OLED. Get the impression companies are moving away from QLED , or is it just a really fancy name . Just to get people to buy them ( note Samsung ) ,daft in my view.
But all of this is moving away from that technology , next it is Laser technology. Hisense are putting out several models of this tech this year This would not stop me as a buyer and being someone who watches up to 18 hours watching my TV and vids ( this is well above the average watching is it not ??? ( note one of my TVs i am using the 3D Plasma is 12 years old and in my opinion nothing i seen matches them ,in the real world of watching TV ) , from paying these crazy prices on something that will be replaced and up graded ( again) in 2 years time . Ultra thin TVs will be here in say 5 years time now ,but will they be any better in real world TV. At the moment there are still not enough 4 k transmissions ,are there any ?? yes there is BT ultra sport is the only 4k transmission in the UK . So what is the point of 4 k anyway ? Video films are , So no wonder why i have not notice any difference in the TV transmission ,here in the UK. Why bother with 4k technology anyway ,when it is not available on main stream TV. Note i think the BBC transmitted 4k or was it 3D for the last Olympics .
The only reason why they moved to LCD/LED technology ,was because it was a lot cheaper to produce ,not because it was better than PLASMA. t he latest 2012 models had 4k 3D and 400/600 hz tech. If only they continued with it, instead in going backwards with it. Progress does not mean better , it simply means the manufacturers can make more profits and easier to produce and sell. Not saying anything against certain countries or that we here in the Uk ( cheap means also cheap labour does it not ) fell asleep ,in the production of TVs being it CRT or PLASMA or even LED. Did we ever produce LED TVs at any time or LCD for that mater??
There are cheaper LG models than the G series. MOST TVs drop twice in price & sometimes further. LG are traditionally cheaper than Sony who seem to have the edge with IQ, particularly motion control that’s the elephant in the room because the video codecs prioritise compression over quality which is why most TV demo footage never includes anything but very languid movement. It’s more obvious with OLED but is bad enough with LCD sets.
I sold my 42” Panasonic plasma after roughly 10yrs, having bumped up the contrast considerably - although better than LCDs of that time, the IQ available from modern OLEDs is an order of magnitude better than plasma.
what’s really surprised me about our LG OLED55C2 is a big step up in SQ from its own speakers - I'd prefer to run off a proper system but that’s not possible at the moment.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts