Wharfedale Lintons 85th Edition

njprrogers

Aug 12, 2015
Visit site
I am going to audition the Lintons next week and compare them to some Kef R3.

I like the styling and think they would work well in my living room 40+m2. I was considering paying for a subwoofer to augment my LS50's in this room but I have faffed around for most of the year looking for good quality second hand in Ireland. I think I'd prefer to get closer to a more full range sound by spending my money on speakers with better bass and more suited to a large space.

Has anybody tried the Lintons and had good / bad experiences they'd like to report?

It will be interesting to hear what you think of them after you have auditioned.
If you do get them I would strongly recommend buying their dedicated stands also.
The only recommendations I remember was well away from back wall, plenty of toe in, and keep grilles on.

Reactions: AJM1981

njprrogers

Aug 12, 2015
Visit site
@Al ears good advice, and yes i fully intend to go for the stands. i do like the look of them combined.

@plastic penguin, budget is ruling out the metas but they have a pair of demo R3's for a 1000 euros which come into my price range.
i _possibly_ could tell the difference between the metas and the original R3's but i suspect it would not justify the extra outlay.

@Al ears good advice, and yes i fully intend to go for the stands. i do like the look of them combined.

@plastic penguin, budget is ruling out the metas but they have a pair of demo R3's for a 1000 euros which come into my price range.
i _possibly_ could tell the difference between the metas and the original R3's but i suspect it would not justify the extra outlay.
The metas are supposed to be better but, as you say, for the extra outlay you had better be very sure you can hear a difference , in your own room and with your amp and not in a showroom.

Reactions: plastic penguin

In isolation the standard R3s should be more than sufficient. Personally think these upgraded models of the originals are (generalising) subtle at best.

njprrogers

Aug 12, 2015
Visit site
Yeah, I think it might be too subtle for my ears. I read this about the LS50's and I thought it was pretty interesting https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/ls50-vs-ls50-meta-comparison.38497/. Basically EQ'ing the original LS50's to get them to sound very close to the metas.
The reviews of the R3 that I’ve seen, particularly in Hifi News imply the revisions are actually quite significant and well worthwhile. But of course the attendant price rise, plus discounted old models means they’re effectively about double the price.

matthewpianist

I am going to audition the Lintons next week and compare them to some Kef R3.

I like the styling and think they would work well in my living room 40+m2. I was considering paying for a subwoofer to augment my LS50's in this room but I have faffed around for most of the year looking for good quality second hand in Ireland. I think I'd prefer to get closer to a more full range sound by spending my money on speakers with better bass and more suited to a large space.

Has anybody tried the Lintons and had good / bad experiences they'd like to report?

I owned the Lintons with their dedicated stands. They're talented in some respects, but unusually for large speakers they need to be playing quite loud to open up, and they still sit on the safe side of things. Their strength is more in the midrange than at the frequency extremes.

I've also heard the Mission 770, and would choose those every time for their more dynamic and balanced sound.

Kutusov

Sep 13, 2021
Visit site
. They're talented in some respects, but unusually for large speakers they need to be playing quite loud to open up, and they still sit on the safe side of things. Their strength is more in the midrange than at the frequency extremes.

I've also heard the Mission 770, and would choose those every time for their more dynamic and balanced sound.
That's nice to know, I'm looking at the Lintons but low level listening is pretty important to me. What speakers did you replace the Lintons with?

clanking

Feb 6, 2023
Visit site
I owned the Lintons with their dedicated stands. They're talented in some respects, but unusually for large speakers they need to be playing quite loud to open up, and they still sit on the safe side of things. Their strength is more in the midrange than at the frequency extremes.

But the Missions are 3x the price. What would you prefer in the same price band as the Linton's?

Kutusov

Sep 13, 2021
Visit site
But the Missions are 3x the price. What would you prefer in the same price band as the Linton's?
A bit my dilema also, I could go with the Missions if they were a clear better investment "For life" (right...). Waiting for the xmas sales etc so still looking but I keep looking at the Elipsons XLS 15. Probably too big but everything else is sort of a rationalization of that point.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts