New Hi Fi

anderoob

Apr 11, 2013
Visit site
Hello Audiophiles,

I have an old Linn Classik, a pair of Mission 782 floor standing speakers, and a Technics turntable, and every time i visit my freinds house i feel a dissapointed with my system (he has a primare amp and proac speakers). Anyway i am looking to upgrade/ replace my system, but in stages and was hoping for some advice.

At the moment the main difference i notice is clarity, and that the bass seems out of control. Would this be because the amp is not powerful enough for the speakers? If I listen to something really bassy like D'Angelo's Voodoo, I have to turn the base down to make it listenable. Other albums are not so bad though.

I was thinking of starting with replacing the amp with something like the Roksan Kandy K2, then change the record player, and finally the the speakers (as they are the hardest to get rid of!). I would live to hear some reccomendations

i mostly listen to jazz, soul, clasical.

Thanks!

GMK

Jan 23, 2009
Visit site
Take your system round to his and try swapping out one component at a time to see what sonic difference each one makes. Then you'll know what to upgrade

anderoob

Apr 11, 2013
Visit site
Good idea, i will try swapping the amp next time i'm there.

I don't think it's the room as he has just moved from a smallish loft living room to a big open plan living room - which is what i have.

relocated

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
When you come back, give your budget initially and in total. This will give you a better chance of as wide a response from forumites as possible. :)

relocated

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
If you are looking at spending that sort of money I would save a little bit longer at the beginning.

For less than £1500, you could get brand new AVI ADM 9RS or RSS stand-mount active speakers. Instantly, with the aid of a phono amp, you will get a very serious system consisting of speakers, power and pre-amp, remote control and necessary cabling. If needs be you can then upgrade your vinyl source.

You won't get better value for money and you won't stay on the constant tweaking and 'upgrade' train. You owe t to your ears and wallet to investigate the AVI and 'active' route.

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
anderoob said:
Hello Audiophiles,

I have an old Linn Classik, a pair of Mission 782 floor standing speakers, and a Technics turntable, and every time i visit my freinds house i feel a dissapointed with my system (he has a primare amp and proac speakers). Anyway i am looking to upgrade/ replace my system, but in stages and was hoping for some advice.

At the moment the main difference i notice is clarity, and that the bass seems out of control. Would this be because the amp is not powerful enough for the speakers? If I listen to something really bassy like D'Angelo's Voodoo, I have to turn the base down to make it listenable. Other albums are not so bad though.

I was thinking of starting with replacing the amp with something like the Roksan Kandy K2, then change the record player, and finally the the speakers (as they are the hardest to get rid of!). I would live to hear some reccomendations

i mostly listen to jazz, soul, clasical.

Thanks!

The lack of bass control and clarity is almost certainly related to your amp and speaker combination. There is a possibility that your room acoustics could be an issue, perhaps have a look at this area first, as any system might sound less than optimal if this is causing the problem.

I would certainly echo the sentiments of 'relocated' who suggests the ADM9s. They are very good, but then I do own them and am probably biased.

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
relocated said:
If you are looking at spending that sort of money I would save a little bit longer at the beginning.

For less than £1500, you could get brand new AVI ADM 9RS or RSS stand-mount active speakers. Instantly, with the aid of a phono amp, you will get a very serious system consisting of speakers, power and pre-amp, remote control and necessary cabling. If needs be you can then upgrade your vinyl source.

You won't get better value for money and you won't stay on the constant tweaking and 'upgrade' train. You owe t to your ears and wallet to investigate the AVI and 'active' route.

Goodness! I've read so many posts banging on about bloomin' active speakers -- I've had enough!

:wall:

So I've just e-mailed AVI to arrange a demo at the factory (only 10 mins away from me). Hope you're all happy now!

;)

altruistic.lemon

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
And so the vultures circle over another victim.

Listen, ask for a loan and take them along to a shop where there are other sytems to compare them with. Don't fall for the propaganda - the AVIs may be nice little speakers, but, if you can't compare them with anything, you can't pick up their limitations. And, oddly enough, the factory doesn't offer comparisons. Besides, some nice Neats on the end of your present system would blow the AVIs clean away!

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
relocated said:

You most definitely can get better value for money than new AVI ADM 9RS or RSS's.

2nd hand.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
lindsayt said:
relocated said:

You most definitely can get better value for money than new AVI ADM 9RS or RSS's.

2nd hand.

Can you like what?

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
lindsayt said:
relocated said:

2nd hand.

Well, if we're going to use second hand prices, lets even the playing field with a £700 limit, the average going rate for a second hand pair of ADM9s. ;)

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
altruistic.lemon said:
And so the vultures circle over another victim.

Listen, ask for a loan and take them along to a shop where there are other sytems to compare them with. Don't fall for the propaganda - the AVIs may be nice little speakers, but, if you can't compare them with anything, you can't pick up their limitations. And, oddly enough, the factory doesn't offer comparisons. Besides, some nice Neats on the end of your present system would blow the AVIs clean away!

No need to worry, I'll be going with an open mind but a firmly closed wallet.

altruistic.lemon

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
Not to mention the free lunch. Difficult to beat the hard sell - £20 says he walks away with glazed eyes, and the speakers. Indoctrination into a cult is hard to beat.

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
Overdose said:
lindsayt said:
relocated said:

2nd hand.

Well, if we're going to use second hand prices, lets even the playing field with a £700 limit, the average going rate for a second hand pair of ADM9s. ;)
Does this mean that you agree with me? That you can get better value for money than new AVI ADM 9 RS or RSS's? Even if it's only a 2nd hand AVI ADM 9's?

You have changed the goalposts by setting a £700 limit and not a £1500 limit.

Nevertheless AVI ADM 9RS or RSS's at close to £1500 represent such mediocre value for money that there are quite a few systems for £700 that I'd be happy to put up against the AVI's. Here's a few examples: Asus Xonar Essence soundcard with Urei 6290 amp into scruffy EV Sentry III speakers, Phillips cd 620 into A&R A60 into Quad ESL 57's or 63's, new audiosmile modded Behringer DAC into Sansui AU 9500 into Goodmans Magisters, Beresford DAC into Sony TA F770ES into Royd Misntrels, Marantz CD 6000SE into Yaqin 12 watt amp into Klipsch Cornwalls, new asus xonar essence one dac into Pioneer SA 706 into Heybrook HB3 speakers...

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Try and get your demo in the next 3 days.

If you like them then have a look here before ordering new ones...

clicky

... only 5 months old. Mint condition, original packaging, barely used.

You could save quite a bit and still sell them on - for most of what you paid - if you change your mind at a later date.

I'd suggest bidding £850 maximum (if you liked what you heard at the demo) and see what happens. Anything significantly higher and you may as well buy brand new to get the latest version and full warranty.

[EDIT] Sorry, just noticed someone else linked to the same ebay item. (Although I think £700 might be a bit optimistic in this case given their newness and condition.)

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
lindsayt said:
Overdose said:
lindsayt said:
relocated said:

2nd hand.

Does this mean that you agree with me? That you can get better value for money than new AVI ADM 9 RS or RSS's? Even if it's only a 2nd hand AVI ADM 9's?

You have changed the goalposts by setting a £700 limit and not a £1500 limit.

Nevertheless AVI ADM 9RS or RSS's at close to £1500 represent such mediocre value for money that there are quite a few systems for £700 that I'd be happy to put up against the AVI's. Here's a few examples: Asus Xonar Essence soundcard with Urei 6290 amp into scruffy EV Sentry III speakers, Phillips cd 620 into A&R A60 into Quad ESL 57's or 63's, new audiosmile modded Behringer DAC into Sansui AU 9500 into Goodmans Magisters, Beresford DAC into Sony TA F770ES into Royd Misntrels, Marantz CD 6000SE into Yaqin 12 watt amp into Klipsch Cornwalls, new asus xonar essence one dac into Pioneer SA 706 into Heybrook HB3 speakers...

Don't be silly.

You suggested used equipment to be a better value for money buy than the new ADM9s. That's the goalpost right there £1400 on new ADM9RSS's.

Regardless of equipment, second hand will always be better value for money, as the first customer has taken the hit on devaluation.

I think it safe to say that the statement regarding value for money implies new prices, so only like for like in this area is valid, therefore meaning £1400 or so for new equipment. If you want to be pendantic (and frankly, when don't you?) and want to include used equipment, then it is only fair to include used ADM9s in your bizarre excercise. £700 being an arbitrary figure, but seemingly representative of used prices for 9Ts.

I guess that sort of money should indeed buy something more than acceptable, but I would imagine that the OP would not like his front room looking like some sort of bric-a-brac shop in a village that time forgot. :p

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts