New Hi Fi

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Etymotic

Dec 28, 2012
Visit site
altruistic.lemon said:
It's using this forum for marketing I object to.

AVI have their own website,have some huge mass orders from China and the U.S which they have just fulfilled so do you really think they need to use this forum to promote sales.

Recommending speakers or equipment of any make or manufacturer is a form of marketing and as others have said there are never complaints on here about those promoting the virtues of KEF LS50's or such like which are suggested regularly on here because they are no doubt very good.

If a poster on here asks for advice or suggestions on a new system then all who post on here are entitled to have their say and give the enquirer plenty of choice to aid their desition.Isnt that the point of this forum...... An outlet for lovers of Hi Fi who can waffle on about all aspects of Hi fi and music to their hearts content.

It seems to me in the short time I have been posting on here that the mere mention of the words AVI or ADM provokes the most incredible unrealistic and uncalled for aggressive reactions from a smallish group of people who for whatever reason,be it insecurity or just plain ignorance, cannot find it in themselves to accept that ADM's are just another alternative to consider for people who are in the market for a new system.

Dont forget most if not all ADM owners have all had hi end equipment before and know of its virtue. I have owned all Naim and all Linn passive systems in the past,but at this particular moment in time ADM's suit my situation.

I dont expect to be chastized for that desition any more than I will chastize or critisize you for your choice of equipment. We all have the freedom to choose and when someone asks for advice it is only fair that they are given maximum choice as to what is available within their budget...that includes both passive and active systems

Why this appears to cause so much trauma and stress for some individuals I am at a loss to know......and as someone has already said before me..... If the mere mention of AVI products upsets you SO SO much when you see them in a thread...THEN DONT READ THEM!

relocated

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
altruistic.lemon said:
It's using this forum for marketing I object to.

I say yet again. That I do not engage in marketing. No-one pulls my strings and I post at no-ones behest.

I was introduced to AVI products through this Forum. I am forever in the debt of those who fronted up to the hostility to tell of their experience with AVI ADMs. Because of my own revelatory experience in listening to and owning AVI ADMs I feel obliged to pass on my experience because I believe other people could benefit in their ears and their wallet from exposure to AVI ADMs.

Now I know that this boring to many but then I am not addressing those people. I am addressing forumites who ask direct questions about AVI ADMs, those who are new and inexperienced and those whom I believe may benefit from the info/experience of AVI ADMs.

So no conspiracy, no hidden agenda. Just trying to be constructive and helpful and not negative and sniping as some people [not you] seem often to be.

:cheers:

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
anderoob said:
Active speakers are something i hadn't considered, although i won't get a chance to audition them for a while as the there are no stockists near here. And are they really that good?

Going down the second hand route is an option, but anything relatively new doesn't seem significantly cheaper or at least not that i have noticed. Anyway i will watch those ADM's on ebay, i'm intigued to see how much they go for now.

There isn't very much difference in sound between active and passive speakers to be honest but I find that generally I prefer active speakers. They tend to sound a fraction clearer and the bass notes are just a little bit better defined.

The controversial AVI ADM9 speakers are exellent (if you like a tonally neutral and very clear sounding system) and they offer outstanding value for money. For the price I haven't heard anything that I prefer and if I could afford them I'd buy some ADM9RSS speakers without hesitation.

However, there are other very good active speakers available which are also worth considering aswell. In my opinion Genelec, ADAM and Quested speakers are every bit as good as AVI speakers. But they do tend to be a little bit more expensive though so they're not quite as good value for money.

Most other active speakers are a bit ugly too.

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
Phileas said:
lindsayt said:
Phileas said:
lindsayt said:
Goodmans Magisters.... Royd Misntrels... Klipsch Cornwalls...

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Why the rofl smileys?

Have you compared ADM 9's against any of them?

Have you?

Not directly I haven't. Indirectly I have.

I have directly compared a Urei 6290, EV Sentry III combination against AVI ADM 9's - which was one of my suggestions from my previous post.

I strongly prefered the sound of the Urei / EV combination. It was more tonally neutral than the ADM 9's. Had greater bass extension. Didn't filter out the sound of kick drums and the decay of bass guitar notes when the rest of the band were playing. Clarity and bite in the midrange was better from the EV's. And above all the EV's had more bounce, more of a joyful life and zest about them than the ADM 9's. The ADM 9's sounded like they had a somewhat dome shaped frequency response curve, which will sound impressive on some recordings - such as ones with an excessively banana shaped tonal balance. But on many average recordings, such as Blondie's Denise they sound uninvolving.

And to answer another question in this thread: who would want to own something like a scruffy pair of EV Sentry III's over ADM 9's? The answer is someone who wanted to get the best sound quality they could find for £700. A pair of Sentry III's in good cosmetic condition will sell for about £1200 to £1500 - but in the 2nd hand world scruffy cosmetic condition brings the price right down. In terms of value for money - in terms of the sound quality per pound spent as well as the engineering content, as well as the likely longevity and ease of repair over the next 30 years, a Urei 6290 with scruffy EV Sentry III's beats new and 2nd hand AVI ADM 9's hands down. For sure it's self evident that the ADM 9's are smaller and look more fashionable and have higher WAF - Wife Acceptance Factor.

My first post in this thread was in response to the misleading and untrue statement that a new pair of ADM 9 RS's or RSS's represented the best value for money for £1500. Can you understand why I feel that this is untrue when there's other hi-fi kit out there that that sounds better whilst costing less and has a better chance of lasting for the next 30 years? If you or anyone else on this HI-FI forum - that's HIGH FIDELITY as in HIGH FAITHFULNESS - feels that sound quality per pound spent is not highly important in determining value for money in hi-fi equipment then that is something on which we will have to agree to differ.

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
Overdose said:
lindsayt said:
And please, less of the ad hominem: "If you want to be pendantic (and frankly, when don't you?)". Play the ball, not the man.

If you read the post the 'ad hominem' part was rather the punctuation mark at the end. Your speaker suggestions look like dated boxes and the use of the term 'scruffy' when making a speaker suggestion was yours. Who on earth wants large scruffy boxes in the front room?

What's WAF mean by the way?
I don't understand the sentence that I've highlighted in bold. Would you like to make an apology for your use of ad hominem?

You might think that the speakers I suggested look like dated boxes. I think that Royd Merlins look similar to AVI ADM 40's. The Merlins are not large boxes. By moving the discussion onto looks, is this a tacit admission that the AVI ADM 9's don't sound as good as the combinations that I suggested?

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
lindsayt said:
Phileas said:
lindsayt said:
Phileas said:
lindsayt said:
Goodmans Magisters.... Royd Misntrels... Klipsch Cornwalls...

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Why the rofl smileys?

Have you compared ADM 9's against any of them?

Have you?

Not directly I haven't. Indirectly I have.

I have directly compared a Urei 6290, EV Sentry III combination against AVI ADM 9's - which was one of my suggestions from my previous post.

I strongly prefered the sound of the Urei / EV combination. It was more tonally neutral than the ADM 9's. Had greater bass extension. Didn't filter out the sound of kick drums and the decay of bass guitar notes when the rest of the band were playing. Clarity and bite in the midrange was better from the EV's. And above all the EV's had more bounce, more of a joyful life and zest about them than the ADM 9's. The ADM 9's sounded like they had a somewhat dome shaped frequency response curve, which will sound impressive on some recordings - such as ones with an excessively banana shaped tonal balance. But on many average recordings, such as Blondie's Denise they sound uninvolving.

And to answer another question in this thread: who would want to own something like a scruffy pair of EV Sentry III's over ADM 9's? The answer is someone who wanted to get the best sound quality they could find for £700. A pair of Sentry III's in good cosmetic condition will sell for about £1200 to £1500 - but in the 2nd hand world scruffy cosmetic condition brings the price right down. In terms of value for money - in terms of the sound quality per pound spent as well as the engineering content, as well as the likely longevity and ease of repair over the next 30 years, a Urei 6290 with scruffy EV Sentry III's beats new and 2nd hand AVI ADM 9's hands down. For sure it's self evident that the ADM 9's are smaller and look more fashionable and have higher WAF - Wife Acceptance Factor.

My first post in this thread was in response to the misleading and untrue statement that a new pair of ADM 9 RS's or RSS's represented the best value for money for £1500. Can you understand why I feel that this is untrue when there's other hi-fi kit out there that that sounds better whilst costing less and has a better chance of lasting for the next 30 years? If you or anyone else on this HI-FI forum - that's HIGH FIDELITY as in HIGH FAITHFULNESS - feels that sound quality per pound spent is not highly important in determining value for money in hi-fi equipment then that is something on which we will have to agree to differ.

You may want to buy a knackered pair of EV Sentry III's on ebay for £400 but I think I would go for a few month old AVIs. And the Urei 6290 is a power amp? What about the pre-amp and dac?

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
Yeah you might have to wait a while and be patient, but they do come up very occasionally.

There could be various reasons why. Financial, need/wanting to change from standmount to floorstander (or vice versa. Who knows perhaps you get 5 numbers up on the lottery and buy some ADM40s. Or heaven forbid, the owner doesn't get on with them.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts