New Hi Fi

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
chebby said:
I'd suggest bidding £850 maximum (if you liked what you heard at the demo) and see what happens. Anything significantly higher and you may as well buy brand new to get the latest version and full warranty.

[EDIT] Sorry, just noticed someone else linked to the same ebay item. (Although I think £700 might be a bit optimistic in this case given their newness and condition.)

Those might be 9Ts and pre RS. Best to ask the seller before bidding though.

I paid quite a lot less than new RSs for my 9Ts brand new and that wasn't far off what you suggest the OP should consider for these. I'd say £700 and wait until a pair show up again, or ask the guys on the AVI forum if any are coming up for sale. It they are RS models then fair play, £850 might be nearer the mark and a very good deal.

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
altruistic.lemon said:
Not to mention the free lunch. Difficult to beat the hard sell - £20 says he walks away with glazed eyes, and the speakers. Indoctrination into a cult is hard to beat.

It's a deal: you owe me £20 if I don't buy the AVIs.

anderoob

Apr 11, 2013
Visit site
Active speakers are something i hadn't considered, although i won't get a chance to audition them for a while as the there are no stockists near here. And are they really that good?

Going down the second hand route is an option, but anything relatively new doesn't seem significantly cheaper or at least not that i have noticed. Anyway i will watch those ADM's on ebay, i'm intigued to see how much they go for now.

anderoob

Apr 11, 2013
Visit site
Active speakers are something i hadn't considered, although i won't get a chance to audition them for a while as the there are no stockists near here. And are they really that good?

Going down the second hand route is an option, but anything relatively new doesn't seem significantly cheaper or at least not that i have noticed. Anyway i will watch those ADM's on ebay, i'm intigued to see how much they go for now.

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
anderoob said:

All things being equal, yes, active speakers are very good, but there are not many that have a more traditional hifi look at reasonable prices.

A much larger range is available in the pro audio market.

A few notable 'hifi' type of actives are, Dynaudio Focus 110A, Dynaudio Xeo 3 (wireless) and AVI ADM9. Those are standmounts, floorstanders are a bit more expensive.

I would definitely have a look at the 'for sale' section of the AVI forum, as usually there are some good deals on used ADM9s when they appear. Generally the speakers get looked after well.

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
Overdose said:
lindsayt said:
Overdose said:
lindsayt said:
relocated said:
If you are looking at spending that sort of money I would save a little bit longer at the beginning.

For less than £1500, you could get brand new AVI ADM 9RS or RSS stand-mount active speakers. Instantly, with the aid of a phono amp, you will get a very serious system consisting of speakers, power and pre-amp, remote control and necessary cabling. If needs be you can then upgrade your vinyl source.

You won't get better value for money and you won't stay on the constant tweaking and 'upgrade' train. You owe t to your ears and wallet to investigate the AVI and 'active' route.

You most definitely can get better value for money than new AVI ADM 9RS or RSS's.

2nd hand.

Well, if we're going to use second hand prices, lets even the playing field with a £700 limit, the average going rate for a second hand pair of ADM9s. ;)
Does this mean that you agree with me? That you can get better value for money than new AVI ADM 9 RS or RSS's? Even if it's only a 2nd hand AVI ADM 9's?

You have changed the goalposts by setting a £700 limit and not a £1500 limit.

Nevertheless AVI ADM 9RS or RSS's at close to £1500 represent such mediocre value for money that there are quite a few systems for £700 that I'd be happy to put up against the AVI's. Here's a few examples: Asus Xonar Essence soundcard with Urei 6290 amp into scruffy EV Sentry III speakers, Phillips cd 620 into A&R A60 into Quad ESL 57's or 63's, new audiosmile modded Behringer DAC into Sansui AU 9500 into Goodmans Magisters, Beresford DAC into Sony TA F770ES into Royd Misntrels, Marantz CD 6000SE into Yaqin 12 watt amp into Klipsch Cornwalls, new asus xonar essence one dac into Pioneer SA 706 into Heybrook HB3 speakers...

Don't be silly.

You suggested used equipment to be a better value for money buy than the new ADM9s. That's the goalpost right there £1400 on new ADM9RSS's.

Regardless of equipment, second hand will always be better value for money, as the first customer has taken the hit on devaluation.

I think it safe to say that the statement regarding value for money implies new prices, so only like for like in this area is valid, therefore meaning £1400 or so for new equipment. If you want to be pendantic (and frankly, when don't you?) and want to include used equipment, then it is only fair to include used ADM9s in your bizarre excercise. £700 being an arbitrary figure, but seemingly representative of used prices for 9Ts.

I guess that sort of money should indeed buy something more than acceptable, but I would imagine that the OP would not like his front room looking like some sort of bric-a-brac shop in a village that time forgot. :p

I would hardly call a Beresford DAC into Sony 770ES amp into Royd Minstrels as looking like a bric a brac shop in a village that time forgot. I'd call this a high WAF system.

And please, less of the ad hominem: "If you want to be pendantic (and frankly, when don't you?)". Play the ball, not the man.

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
lindsayt said:
And please, less of the ad hominem: "If you want to be pendantic (and frankly, when don't you?)". Play the ball, not the man.

If you read the post the 'ad hominem' part was rather the punctuation mark at the end. Your speaker suggestions look like dated boxes and the use of the term 'scruffy' when making a speaker suggestion was yours. Who on earth wants large scruffy boxes in the front room?

What's WAF mean by the way?

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Overdose said:
I paid quite a lot less than new RSs for my 9Ts brand new and that wasn't far off what you suggest the OP should consider for these. I'd say £700 and wait until a pair show up again...

The bidding has gone from £103 to £519 overnight and there are still 3 days to go. I would say that this particular pair are going to do very well for the seller.

relocated

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
anderoob said:

Strange isn't it that not a lot of people were forthcoming with help until I recommended the AVI ADM 9 series? Then there is a sudden flurry from the anti-AVI brigade, so why is that you might wonder?

Such antagonism is born out of some fear that AVI is trying to take over the world of hifi without any justification in terms of absolute sound quality and then VFM.

I have owned and listened to all sorts of hifi, up to serious money, in the last 40 years and I have never been so taken aback by the sound quality of a hifi item [positively that is]. Peoples recommendation of AVI is normally from people who OWN the speakers and therefor have day to day experience of them over varying amounts of time; not something they listened to briefly at a demo or show.

I will always be grateful to the AVI haters of the recent past, because they convinced me that there had to be something worthy to try out and how right I was. Do your ears and wallet a favour and check out what certain people are so afraid of.

:cheers:

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
chebby said:
Overdose said:
I paid quite a lot less than new RSs for my 9Ts brand new and that wasn't far off what you suggest the OP should consider for these. I'd say £700 and wait until a pair show up again...

The bidding has gone from £103 to £519 overnight and there are still 3 days to go. I would say that this particular pair are going to do very well for the seller.

Lets hope so. eb*y fees are horrendous.

altruistic.lemon

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
relocated said:
anderoob said:

Strange isn't it that not a lot of people were forthcoming with help until I recommended the AVI ADM 9 series? Then there is a sudden flurry from the anti-AVI brigade, so why is that you might wonder?

Such antagonism is born out of some fear that AVI is trying to take over the world of hifi without any justification in terms of absolute sound quality and then VFM.

I have owned and listened to all sorts of hifi, up to serious money, in the last 40 years and I have never been so taken aback by the sound quality of a hifi item [positively that is]. Peoples recommendation of AVI is normally from people who OWN the speakers and therefor have day to day experience of them over varying amounts of time; not something they listened to briefly at a demo or show.

I will always be grateful to the AVI haters of the recent past, because they convinced me that there had to be something worthy to try out and how right I was. Do your ears and wallet a favour and check out what certain people are so afraid of.

:cheers:
Shame you didn't hear Magnepan or Martin Logan, because then you'd have been singing a differentune!

Seriously, AVI are a tiny niche product that won't suit the majority of people in hifi, they're too limited and limiting, plus you'd want a long warranty. Yes, I understand they have problems at the moment, but there's no need to go swamping this forum as you guys deliberately have.

Aslo, respect other forum members: most recommend what they own or know well, it isn't limited to owners of niche products.

By the way, given AVI cram everything into a tiny box, I'd be wanting to buy with a warranty so would think carefully about second hand.

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
altruistic.lemon said:
Shame you didn't hear Magnepan or Martin Logan, because then you'd have been singing a differentune!

Seriously, AVI are a tiny niche product that won't suit the majority of people in hifi, they're too limited and limiting, plus you'd want a long warranty. Yes, I understand they have problems at the moment, but there's no need to go swamping this forum as you guys deliberately have.

Aslo, respect other forum members: most recommend what they own or know well, it isn't limited to owners of niche products.

By the way, given AVI cram everything into a tiny box, I'd be wanting to buy with a warranty so would think carefully about second hand.

If you would only take a deep breath and count slowly to ten before posting, you might come across a little less ranty.

I don't understand what you mean by limited, or limiting for that matter.

They sound great, are not too big, front ported and not fussy about position, plenty loud enough for most home applications and look fine. They are also a complete system, so all that is needed is a source, or sources.

I find your comments rather odd in fact, not to mention wrong.

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
altruistic.lemon said:
Have you listened to many systems, overdose? I'm beginning to think not, or there'd be more perspective in your posts.

How many clean windows do you need to see through to understand transparency?

I have listened to enough to know that my system is perfect for me and that's all that really matters.

I'm happy. I'm not so sure that you are though?

relocated

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
altruistic.lemon said:

Yet again, you come out with unsupported tripe. I have heard both Magnepan and Martin Logan and I wouldn't have them over my AVI ADM 9Ts.

AVI speakers come with a 2 year warranty and are reliable.

I don't know what this effluent is that you speak of - AVI having problems? Yet more tripe spoken from a position of complete ignorance. You are making a fool of yourself, but then that's home ground for you I guess.

:wall:

altruistic.lemon

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
relocated said:
Yet again, you come out with unsupported tripe. I have heard both Magnepan and Martin Logan and I wouldn't have them over my AVI ADM 9Ts.

I don't know what this effluent is that you speak of - AVI having problems? Yet more tripe spoken from a position of complete ignorance. You are making a fool of yourself, but then that's home ground for you I guess.

My, you were lucky hearing all three in a comparison. How did Ash react when you brought them all in?

T

the record spot

Overdose said:
Well, if we're going to use second hand prices, lets even the playing field with a £700 limit, the average going rate for a second hand pair of ADM9s. ;)

Sansui AU-217: £33 delivered or AU-717 (£200)

Mission 752 (original model): £80

Marantz SA7001-KI: £300 or Sansui's WLD-201 network music player for the same money.

£413 all in (or £580 with the 717). Add £20 for some cable and spend the rest on music.

relocated

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
altruistic.lemon said:
relocated said:

[/quote]My, you were lucky hearing all three in a comparison. How did Ash react when you brought them all in?

Could you point me to anywhere in my posts, where I stated that I heard 'all three in a comparison'?

Would you endlessly listen to things you are never going to buy when you are auditioning something new that you might buy?

Just so you are clear, for now and in the inevitable future. The speakers that you are talking about[?], I don't know what you own and use as you have no equipment signature, have their undoubted qualities. But having heard them, they are not for me just like they are not for many other people for various reasons, not least their size. That doesn't diminish their value and importance to you.

There is no need for you to be fearful about AVI recommendation surely? If your choice of speaker is wonderful then it surely stands on it's own merits.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts