Naim CD5i and Nait 5i amp (both italics) and which speaker?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I am confused. I hope people here can help me.

I have decided to go for the following system:

Naim CD5i and Nait 5i amp (both italics)

What speakers should I go for. So far, I have narrowed down to the following which I tend to prefer and have good offers.
(My music preference is all types of music really, nothing specific)

1) B & W 703 or 704 or 805s

2) Wilson Beneech Square 2

3) ProAc Studio 140

4) Monitor Audio Silver RS6

5) Dali Ikon 6 Floor speakers.

Thanks for help rendered

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="ganeshkualalumpur"]
What speakers should I go for. So far, I have narrowed down to the following which I tend to prefer and have good offers.
(My music preference is all types of music really, nothing specific)

3) ProAc Studio 140

Thanks for help rendered

[/quote]

That is some selection ... a bit eclectic to say the least. On what basis did you list them? Did you actually listen to ANY of them?

A lot of folks here will, I assume, suggest Neat as an additional alternative but what is important to you when you listen?

A

Anonymous

Welcome to the forums ganeshkualalumpur!

Now, with those electronics, I would go for either the Wilson Beneech Square 2s or the ProAC Studio 140s (depending on room size and which looks you prefer). Both of these speakers will get you into the "[bld]HI[/bld]-fi" world quicker (pardon the pun) than the others, although it is always wise to demo. Naim equipement firstly, is superb and is truly the greatest-value equipment you can buy (rule of diminishing ignored). It is best partnered with detailed speakers, but not excessivly bright ones.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="Hughes123"]Naim equipement firstly, is superb and is truly the greatest-value equipment you can buy (rule of diminishing ignored). [/quote]

emotion-2.gif

A

Anonymous

Thank you all for welcoming me. Very nice of all of you. On what basis? Well to be honest, its quite hard to find good speakers in Malaysia. Only very few from the UK are brought down to Malaysia. Sadly, the prices are jacked up to such a level, it would shock you. What I have narrowed down are actually speakers that I have got a good price for.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Thank you all for welcoming me. Very nice of all of you. On what basis? Well to be honest, its quite hard to find good speakers in Malaysia. Only very few from the UK are brought down to Malaysia. Sadly, the prices are jacked up to such a level, it would shock you. What I have narrowed down are actually speakers that I have got a good price for.

[/quote]

Understand but have you got the option to listen to any of them? If not, what is important to you when listening? How big is your room? What volumes do you normally listen to etc.? How can anyone possibly suggest anything without knowing what you personally like?

A

Anonymous

No I have not listended to any of them yet. Will do soon. I am a newbie and starting to learn hifi stuff and wanting/hoping to appreciate better quality music with this new passion. I know nuts about quality music. My room is about 500sq ft. For now, I am hoping to get opinions and help just to decide what to buy. Its like someone not knowing to how to ride a bicycle but wanting to buy a bicycle soon and learning to ride from there. Apologies if I am too much of a newbie

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site

3) ProAc Studio 140

Thanks for help rendered

[/quote]

1) 805s would go nicely

2) Too bright with Naim

3) Bass is a bit bouncy to make the most of Naim's great timing.

4) Too bright with Naim

5) A bit too hard to drive for the Nait and a touch forward up top with Naim

all imo.

all the best

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
No apologies needed. Believe me I've heard some stupid questions/comments on this site from people that should know better. You know who you are
emotion-11.gif

What speakers did they use when you've auditioned your naims, thats assuming you did audition?

A

Anonymous

The guy I auditioned the Naim with only sells ProAc 140 speakers as he only promotes and sells ProAc. But strangely the ProAc and Wilson (from another shop) is more or else same price. So I can't really test the Naim with the Wilson nor the B & W.

Its quite sad. Certain shops just promote 1 or 2 of the products they carry. Unlike in the UK, there are only a few dealers around and that also, they just push what they bring in.

So I have to do guesswork or get opinions from you learned experts in the hifi arena

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="Thaiman"]all imo.[/quote]

disclaimer?
emotion-2.gif

Well, not knowing musical preferences of the subject unlucky enough to find this forum you know what I'd recommend as an all rounder ... if available there. Failing that I'd agree with your choice.

A

Anonymous

Would you say the Naims is a better choice than a Roksan Kandy CD and Amp despite the Naim being ONLY an entree level ? Is there a big difference

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="ganeshkualalumpur"]Would you say the Naims is a better choice than a Roksan Kandy CD and Amp despite the Naim being ONLY an entree level ? Is there a big difference[/quote]

I would definitely say so - and after all, the Kandy CD player and amp are entry-level products in their manufacturer's range, too.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Would you say the Naims is a better choice than a Roksan Kandy CD and Amp despite the Naim being ONLY an entree level ? Is there a big difference

[/quote]

Yes. I was'nt talking about your choice of amplifier/CD player.

A

Anonymous

Hey ganeshkualalumpur, sorry I didn't reply earlier...I went out for a meal!

You have quite a large room...make that a very large room! Floorstanders would be far better suited to your room - and those ProAcs are superb! I believe Naim equipment is the best, because they are the most HIGH-fi product at any price under £2000-ish that you can just go to your local town and buy. And oh, they look so cool!

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="Hughes123"]Hey ganeshkualalumpur, sorry I didn't reply earlier...I went out for a meal!
You have quite a large room...make that a very large room! Floorstanders would be far better suited to your room - and those ProAcs are superb! I believe Naim equipment is the best, because they are the most HIGH-fi product at any price under £2000-ish that you can just go to your local town and buy. And oh, they look so cool!

[/quote]

So why did you buy your Arcam even though it was only 800 quid?
emotion-5.gif

A

Anonymous

[quote user="drummerman"]
[quote user="Hughes123"]Hey ganeshkualalumpur, sorry I didn't reply earlier...I went out for a meal!

[/quote]

So why did you buy your Arcam even though it was only 800 quid?
emotion-5.gif

[/quote]

Because I had a matching CD-player which I felt suited the Arcam sound better. And er...what equipment do you have that I can scrutinize?

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Nothing to scrutinize hughes 123. Humble'ish
emotion-11.gif
system worth less than many a forum members but many many many cd's and records.

... and oh, nearly forgot, a beautiful valve amp arriving soon. The point is more this, because of a mate thats also a well regarded retailer I have access to a lot of new and used equipment. I thought many times that spending large amounts of money would give me a 'better' system but I also have to concede that quite often there's something new (or old) I'd like more than the item i've considered just a short while ago. My system changes fairly slowly considering the options/discounts available to me simply because I'm contempt with what I have and enjoy listening to music without getting to hung up about any particular aspect of the hardware. Has'nt always been like that.

But believe me, I've listened to/heard a lot of HIFI!

A

Anonymous

[quote user="drummerman"]
But believe me, I've listened to/heard a lot of HIFI!
[/quote]

With that I cannot argue...I'm only 15 afterall... : )

A

Anonymous

That is human nature. We always want something better. But its true, when hifi is concerned, from what I have read and talked to people, expensive does not necessarily be the best. Its like an Aston Martin (which according to Top Gear, broke down during their test) and a simple BMW 3 series. We all know the BMW is a more reliable car despite it being 25,000 pounds as opposed to Aston's 150,000 pounds price tag.

Drummerman, like yourself, most things that I buy too last for donkey years so I don't mind spending a bit more initally. Sometimes I keep things for more than 10 years!. I think the hifi is one item that one can even keep for a long long time. Even PC's, which changes rapidly, I tend to keep each PC for about 5 years, yet I find my old system as productive as a newer superfast PC.

I like the hifi industry. Especially the British makers. I see some models like the Roksan Kandy or Naim going for many many years and then only, not a model change, but a mere facelift.

Japanese fellows terrible. They come up with new models every 2 days. Whenever you buy a handycam or a digital camera, it becomes ancient in few months time

A

Anonymous

Heard the Naim Nait 5i and CD5i on a pair of WB Square 2s last weekend. They didn't suit the Nait. At all. The bass was slow, warm and a bit boomy, despite trying a few positions. I suspect you need a bit more power to get the best out of them. Before these I heard the system on the Naim n-sat speakers; superb. Not enough bass to keep me happy but was very good. Didn't realise they're classed as satellite speakers until I got home and Googled them!

My friend runs a Nait 5i and Rega Apollo with some Rega R5 floorstanders - he thinks it works very well indeed. I would be tempted to try the Proac family and also the Dynaudio Focus 110s. If you have a couple of k to spend then look at some Sonus Faber Concertos too as they have stunning midrange and a fast bass. Enjoy :)

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="igglebert"]My friend runs a Nait 5i and Rega Apollo with some Rega R5 floorstanders - he thinks it works very well indeed[/quote]

That would have been my suggestion too. Rega's R5 (if you can get hold of them) are not just a lot cheaper than some of the models mentioned but also very good. I can't claim I've heard every speaker available but there have been a few
emotion-11.gif
and again and again its the Rega's that impress me immensely for the money. They are both aesthetically nice, well made and use proven technology. For me, paper coned speakers seem to come out on top rather often. Imo paper is a close to ideal material if implemented correctly for several reasons, quick response, light weight and (relatively) low colouration compared to other materials. They're also ideal for valve amps. The Rega's fit that criteria. They look nice, have a side facing additional driver that covers bass and are front ported so easier to place than some.

Having said all that, all the suggestions are valid, especially the B&W's

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="Hughes123"]

With that I cannot argue...I'm only 15 afterall... : )

[/quote]

My apologies. If you're really only 15 and dont take the ..... you show great maturity both in your postings and in the choice of your system, whether I agree with it or not. Still got to sort that bedroom of yours out though. Waste of a nice system.

A

Anonymous

You are lucky. When I was 15, only toys I had to play was Badminton and Monopoly.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts