Naim Nait 5i - Is it a good buy ?

NMANo1

Dec 7, 2015
Visit site
Or rather, would it have good synergy with my Ruark Talisman II speakers or do any of the more experienced folk on the forum have any better suggestions. I've already tried Audiolab - OK, but got a little lost at the low end when the music gets busy. I borrowed my friends cherished Musical Fidelity X-150 over night - I enjoyed the character/presentation of this amp more. Slightly warm, big sound with better imaging but I wondered if adding a dedicated power supply ( X-PSUv3 ) would give better control?

I,ve just read a glowing review or two on the 7or8 year old Naim Nate 5i which would be within my budget, now.

Apparently, unlike Naim, this amp is not fussy over cables & is a great all rounder.

Any help from Tallisman 2 owners past or present ( or anyone ) would be greatly appreciated.

I'm using decent sources. TT/phono stage/CD

My tastes range from John Martyn to Mastodon from Fairport Convention to Frank Zappa

Thanks

jjbomber

NMANo1 said:
I,ve just read a glowing review or two on the 7or8 year old Naim Nate 5i which would be within my budget, now.

My tastes range from John Martyn to Mastodon from Fairport Convention to Frank Zappa

I'd take the older Nac92 and Nap 90 combination over the Nait 5, but it's a personal choice as a lot of people prefer one box to two. Naim's sound tends to split opinion. Some love the pace, rhythm and timing while others prefer something smoother. As always, it's your music, your ears and your choice.

NMANo1 said:
Or rather, would it have good synergy with my Ruark Talisman II speakers or do any of the more experienced folk on the forum have any better suggestions. I've already tried Audiolab - OK, but got a little lost at the low end when the music gets busy. I borrowed my friends cherished Musical Fidelity X-150 over night - I enjoyed the character/presentation of this amp more. Slightly warm, big sound with better imaging but I wondered if adding a dedicated power supply ( X-PSUv3 ) would give better control?

Apparently, unlike Naim, this amp is not fussy over cables & is a great all rounder.

Any help from Tallisman 2 owners past or present ( or anyone ) would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

I'd avoid Naim and Ruark. Loved the Ruark Sabre III, but all their speakers need a smoother presentation. Ruark's treble is very crisp and with an amp like a Naim or Cyrus it could push the treble into harshness.

Look at Arcam, Creek, Roksan or any Class A or valve amps. Or indeed MF.

NMANo1

Dec 7, 2015
Visit site
First of all thank you for the replies. All opinions are treated with respect although ultimately music & for that matter hearing, is subjective. It all comes down to personal taste after all but it's really good to hear other folks opinions. The more the better. 'Information is power'

jjbomber- Great amps. Hate the look of them. Unfortunately my setup is on view in my sitting room & my bossier half thinks they look like " big & ugly & the colour of baby sick". I told her its olive.

Chebby- Thanks for the link but it was for the III's where mine are the II's. I would like to think there were major component/driver changes as the 3s were released 7 or 8 yrs later & had doubled in cost to £1500.

PPenguin- Yourself & Chebby make the point of highs can become harsh or over bright. I honestly can't agree with that..so far...apart from with my near faulty/ ancient amps. The Musical Fidelity X-150 I tried was fine as was the Audiolab. Apparently the Audiolab are known to be very clean & analytical so surely that would show any treble frailties with the speakers. Actually I remember when playing rock/metal at way too loud levels the Audiolab did sound a bit on the bright side but I wouldn't say harsh....Oh dear!

Also, concerning the Naim Nait 5i, I do like the trademark sound of Naim & more attractively, this amp was getting touted as 'a fantastic all rounder'.

Any opinions on adding the Musical Fidelity X-PSUv3 to the Musical Fidelity X-150 amp? Would it make any significant sonic difference? I'm asking this on behalf of a friend who loves this amp & is curious as I have shown him the improvement that an external power supply has on a turntable.

Thanks again

NMANo1 said:

PPenguin- Yourself & Chebby make the point of highs can become harsh or over bright. I honestly can't agree with that..so far...apart from with my near faulty/ ancient amps. The Musical Fidelity X-150 I tried was fine as was the Audiolab. Apparently the Audiolab are known to be very clean & analytical so surely that would show any treble frailties with the speakers. Actually I remember when playing rock/metal at way too loud levels the Audiolab did sound a bit on the bright side but I wouldn't say harsh....Oh dear!

Also, concerning the Naim Nait 5i, I do like the trademark sound of Naim & more attractively, this amp was getting touted as 'a fantastic all rounder'.

The hobby of hi-fi is a curious one: Unlike most things the end sound is dependant on a few variables: Synergy between each component, room size and acoustics...

The natural traits of both Ruark and entry-level Naims are very similar. The general rule of thumb is don't mix lively with lively or warm with warm. You need to mix the two to find the ideal balance. However, you can gerrymander the sound of your system by room acoustics and speaker positioning.

I would suggest you take your Ruarks into a dealer and listen to a Naim and another brand, such as Arcam or Marantz (or other price compatible amps).

NMANo1

Dec 7, 2015
Visit site
Penguin is right to assume that i could not stretch / justify buying the XS.

I think the best option, I agree, is to take the Talismans to my local ( not very ) dealer & hook up a Naim & a couple of different amps for comparison.

NMANo1 said:
Penguin is right to assume that i could not stretch / justify buying the XS.

I think the best option, I agree, is to take the Talismans to my local ( not very ) dealer & hook up a Naim & a couple of different amps for comparison.

Think you'll need to bear in mind how long you listen to music: Is it short bursts or long sessions? If it's the former then the 'instant impact' of a Naim/Ruark could be ideal. If it's the latter a 'seat of your pants' presentation might grate a little. I listen to hi-fi around 4-5 hours a day so I need the latter, so the light and dark principle applies to my set-up.

rainsoothe

Hi. Also try Nait 5si. The 5i might be a bit bright, and require smooth sounding speakers, like Monitor Audio silver 2, q Acoustics Concept 20, sonus faber toy, maybe Dynaudio DM 2/7

Also, love the topic title :). +1 for "Nate"

NMANo1

Dec 7, 2015
Visit site
That's an interesting post.

I was focusing on the 5i ( not italic ) for that very reason. Most reviews, pro & amateur say that the 'italic' is a touch brighter than the 5i.

TBH I wasnt considering the si as it is outside my price range, even used.

NMANo1

Dec 7, 2015
Visit site
That's a fair point you make Penguin. It's easy to be seduced by a dealers listening session only to feel disappointed a month or so at home due to 'the sound of the new'. I only usually have an extended session ( 4-5hrs ) once or twice a week but your point is worth considering.

rainsoothe

NMANo1 said:
That's an interesting post.

I was focusing on the 5i ( not italic ) for that very reason. Most reviews, pro & amateur say that the 'italic' is a touch brighter than the 5i.

TBH I wasnt considering the si as it is outside my price range, even used.

oh, sorry, thought you meant italic.

I've heard the i and italic version (home and shop dems), and although there are subtle differences they are both a little more speaker dependant than some other brands IMO. On that basis alone I would prefer the XS, but as the OP can't stretch his budget I would have a serious listen to the si version. This one I haven't heard unfortunately.

NMANo1

Dec 7, 2015
Visit site
A home trial would be ideal but not really feasible as I intend to buy used. Also, taking my speakers to the dealer wouldn't be ideal as it would be different models of Naim & other brand's models that ultimately I wouldn't be buying. Plus, I wouldn't be buying from him so & I wouldn't want to push it. That's the reason I'm asking other users opinions, the more first hand insights the better. It doesn't scare me if any amp I eventually buy doesn't really work out with my system because I would just resell it & my search would go on till I find MY sound. On saying that I'm always hopeful that I'll find a gem & don't need to feed my upgradeitis for a few years. My current power & pre has served me very well but onwards & upwards!

Thanks for all the info guys. Keep it & suggestions for my Ruark Talisman 2 coming.

NMANo1 said:
A home trial would be ideal but not really feasible as I intend to buy used. Also, taking my speakers to the dealer wouldn't be ideal as it would be different models of Naim & other brand's models that ultimately I wouldn't be buying. Plus, I wouldn't be buying from him so & I wouldn't want to push it. That's the reason I'm asking other users opinions, the more first hand insights the better. It doesn't scare me if any amp I eventually buy doesn't really work out with my system because I would just resell it & my search would go on till I find MY sound. On saying that I'm always hopeful that I'll find a gem & don't need to feed my upgradeitis for a few years. My current power & pre has served me very well but onwards & upwards!

Thanks for all the info guys. Keep it & suggestions for my Ruark Talisman 2 coming.

What's your room acoustics like? Is it reflective: Hard flooring, bare painted walls... or is there carpets, soft furnishings...

I'm a big believer in acoustics. If you have the latter it can smooth out any frequency nasties, whereas a reflective room will tend to exacerbate any harshness.

A couple of weeks ago Itook my curtains down to wash and it made a noticeable difference to the presentation.

Agreed pp.just a pair of curtains up in the room can make a noticeable difference,my Mrs had decided to go just with the vertical blinds for a while and it really was starting to annoy me,how the acoustics in my lounge had changed(for the worse)it's probably what started me on the upgrade path again,along with a want for something new.but I had to say to her in the end that I needed to get those curtains back up.and voila...sorted.

NMANo1

Dec 7, 2015
Visit site
Funny Penguin & Mark mentioned room acoustics. Only last week I had started to consider getting some acoustic tiles for the bare wall behind my listening position & maybe a few for behind the speakers. There are plenty of soft furnishings in my smallish 16ft x 12ft sitting/listening room but I think some extra diffusion would help. Maybe even a few bass traps for the corners.

i'm seriously considering the Nait 5 now !

Just been offered a excellent but unboxed example for £280. I didn't realise that this version can be added to with a power supply like the Flatcap whereas the newer versions cannot.

Any thoughts?

NMANo1

Dec 7, 2015
Visit site
DIN jacks & has to be Naim speaker cable or else the amp will blow up & take out half the house with it ! (Ok, probably a little exaggeration.)

Maybe showing my ignorance here but I've only realised this & to be honest it's putting a doubt in my mind now about going with Naim altogether or rather the extra expense is.

Would my Chord Carnival Silverscreen cable be compatible with the Nait 5 or would it be 'damaging' to the amp? I probably could take my Chord Cobra & Van den Hul Hybrid into a dealers & have them converted to DIN to Phono but again extra cost & then they couldn't be used with another amp if/when I change the amp.

All of a sudden an Exposure 2010 amp is looking good !

Modern naim amps work fine with most cables,just keep away from silver cable(I don't believe your silver screen is a silver cable)copper is the preferred choice.I used some left over qed silver anniversary with my xs at first and it was not a very pleasant experience (sound wise)but the amp didn't throw a wobbly or anything.the earlier nait 1's and 2's maybe even the 3's needed cables with the correct capacitance as the amps didn't have any inductance networks (or something like that)2 x 4 metre lengths of nac a5 was or still is the order of the day according to naim.but don't worry about it,plenty of folks on naims forums are using non naim cable on the more modern amps without any incidents including myself.linn k20(aka nac a4)is a fine cable and can be found relatively cheaply,I'm using mogami 2972 at the moment.oh and the 5i doesn't have a problem accepting regular rca's.you can use either rca or the 5 pin din,both sound fine.

NMANo1

Dec 7, 2015
Visit site
I appreciate the info Mark, I think you've just saved me a lot of hassle & extra expense that could be going towards a better, newer amp.I was on the verge of buying the Nait 5 but i think i will be better off in the long run going for the italic. Praying it will be not too bright with my Ruark Talisman II speakers as I really like them although they are a tad on the bright side. I also have a pair of Monitor Audio BX5's so if the Tali's don't fit the bill I can & will try them.

Thanks again Mark

I'm sure the 5i italic is a more refined amp than the original 5i,I've got the italic cd player and it's great.But as I mentioned in an earlier post,if you could hold on and save a bit more cash,the xs gives you a couple of more options when the upgrade bug strikes (and it will where naim electronics are concerned)sn't a whole lot more money on the auction site.I seen one go for £580 jus the other day (slightly marked on the case work but no big deal).I looked at the 5i myself,but I just knew I would prefer the subtlety and the option to add a flatcap or even a preamp if I ever wanted to start a two box pre/power combo.which I'll probably get into when funds allow,but then again I'm absolutely loving the sound of the xs on it's lonesome.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts