Marantz amplifiers compared

Scritch

Oct 17, 2023
Visit site
For purely stereo listening, compared to a baseline of the Marantz SR8500, would you expect the sound on the SR9200 or SR9300 or SR9600 to be any different?

Those higher models include many more features and connections, but just in terms of simple home stereo listening?

Thanks!

Scritch

Oct 17, 2023
Visit site
Referring back to your earlier thread, I posted this link.

The 9600 claims to have all discrete amplifier stages. The other models make no mention. I take that to mean the 9600 is a traditional transistor design, whereas the lower models are using ‘chip amps’ or modules of some type. Ultimately it should therefore sound better.

That's a fantastic resource, thanks for finding and sharing that!

And again for the help, so much appreciated.

It's pretty fun getting into these details, knowing that any choice I make will certainly be the nicest sound I've ever heard.

Fun!

Scritch

Oct 17, 2023
Visit site
Referring back to your earlier thread, I posted this link.

The 9600 claims to have all discrete amplifier stages. The other models make no mention. I take that to mean the 9600 is a traditional transistor design, whereas the lower models are using ‘chip amps’ or modules of some type. Ultimately it should therefore sound better.

One detail, do you think the wattage difference of say 100W/ch or 140W/ch really matters in my use case? For sure I wouldn't be truly using all that power with either unit, but does it matter for something like 'headroom' or buffer etc?

My sub is powered, and the towers seem pretty efficient and are just a few feet from my listening spot.

One detail, do you think the wattage difference of say 100W/ch or 140W/ch really matters in my use case? For sure I wouldn't be truly using all that power with either unit, but does it matter for something like 'headroom' or buffer etc?

My sub is powered, and the towers seem pretty efficient and are just a few feet from my listening spot.
No, the effective difference from the rated wattage is minimal, even though the numbers look impressive. Easiest to think of doubling the output to get a meaningful difference - e.g. 25, 50, 100, 200, 400 etc.

Reactions: Scritch and Symples

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts