Best amp power

JDL

Jun 13, 2023
Visit site
Hello again everyone. I'd like some advice please guys.
Integrated amplifiers. If I'm going to spend between £900 and £1500 on an am upgrade. I'm wondering what to do. I don't like to listen very loudly most of the time, only occasionally because I have very bad tinnitus sometimes. I still remember the night it started and never went away in the early 90s. It used to come and go but then on this one night, it just started to screech in my head and never stopped since. Sometimes it's not too bad, tolerable but sometimes it drives me insane, so to speak.
Anyway, I'm looking to do an amp upgrade. I'm considering a Simaudio Moon 250i or splashing out more and going for a Marantz Model 30. The Simaudio, is much less powerful than the Marantz. Would this mean that listening at low to medium volume because the lower output amp would be cranked up more, I might expect to get a better sound than the more powerful Marantz, that'll have to be on a lower volume setting for similar decibel levels.
Furthermore, and on a different track could I expect better long term reliability from the all analogue Simaudio, than the Marantz with its digital power section.
Of course I'm very tempted by the Marantz because it's newer and probably more up market.
What do you think guys? Sorry for the long question.

Hello again everyone. I'd like some advice please guys.
Integrated amplifiers. If I'm going to spend between £900 and £1500 on an am upgrade. I'm wondering what to do. I don't like to listen very loudly most of the time, only occasionally because I have very bad tinnitus sometimes. I still remember the night it started and never went away in the early 90s. It used to come and go but then on this one night, it just started to screech in my head and never stopped since. Sometimes it's not too bad, tolerable but sometimes it drives me insane, so to speak.
Anyway, I'm looking to do an amp upgrade. I'm considering a Simaudio Moon 250i or splashing out more and going for a Marantz Model 30. The Simaudio, is much less powerful than the Marantz. Would this mean that listening at low to medium volume because the lower output amp would be cranked up more, I might expect to get a better sound than the more powerful Marantz, that'll have to be on a lower volume setting for similar decibel levels.
Furthermore, and on a different track could I expect better long term reliability from the all analogue Simaudio, than the Marantz with its digital power section.
Of course I'm very tempted by the Marantz because it's newer and probably more up market.
What do you think guys? Sorry for the long question.
Do you have a Simaudio dealer near you?
What speakers is the amp going to be driving?

Gray

The Simaudio, is much less powerful than the Marantz. Would this mean that listening at low to medium volume because the lower output amp would be cranked up more, I might expect to get a better sound than the more powerful Marantz,
No.
The higher power reserves of an amp can benefit even its lower level performance. For that reason, the Marantz might be better.

Also, I'm not sure about the nature of the Simaudio volume control, but the Marantz has a linear volume control.
That gives you plenty of useable adjustment at lower levels (as well as throughout it's rotation) - making it more suitable for your low-level use.
(You wouldn't get the all-or-nothing effect that some (logarithmic) controls have - resulting in less useable adjustment - before the level becomes too loud).

Last edited:

WayneKerr

No.
The higher power reserves of an amp can benefit even its lower level performance. For that reason, the Marantz might be better.

Also, I'm not sure about the nature of the Simaudio volume control, but the Marantz has a linear volume control.
That gives you plenty of useable adjustment at lower levels (as well as throughout it's rotation) - making it more suitable for your low-level use.
(You wouldn't get the all-or-nothing effect that some (logarithmic) controls have - resulting in less useable adjustment - before the level becomes too loud).
Definitely logarithmic on the Marantz 6-8000 series amps, they need passive attenuators to calm them down. I would agree the Model 30 is linear like all the other models above the 8000 series. It's the first thing I noticed when I got mine, a proper volume pot, not an on-off switch :)

JDL

Jun 13, 2023
Visit site
Do you have a Simaudio dealer near you?
What speakers is the amp going to be driving?
No I don't have a Simaudio dealer near me. But there's a dealer on line doing quite a good deal on new ones. Also I've found a Marantz Model 30 online that I could save a bit more money for if it's still there when I've saved up. But I've decided I'd like to upgrade on my present Marantz PM8005. The speakers, possibly KEF LS 50 Meta or my older B&W 602 S3. I could sell the KEFs. I've also got a air of B&W 707 S2 s for sale, which I could try.

JDL

Jun 13, 2023
Visit site
No.

Thanks for that information. There's so much I don't know about. I thought volume control is just the same on all amps, turn the knob and it goes up, and visa versa. It looks like I have a lot to learn.

Reactions: Gray

Revolutions

Aug 6, 2023
Visit site
These NADs are my flavour of the month for the wrong reasons but it is right up your budget.
Also check out the Hegel lower end integrated amps, these are mighty fine 😉
Oh wow, I want one. The only problem is that I’ve just bought a phono preamp. And I’m sure that will lead to a new turntable. But then I’d probably NEED a better amp to keep up…

Reactions: JDL and Jasonovich

twinkletoes

Nov 16, 2021
Visit site
Amps have nothing to do with gain/room-filling sound at low listening levels beyond the obvious.

I use a sugden a21 (23 watts) with klipsch heresy's (99db sensitivity) i can fill the room with a full sound with the volume knob bearly off the 6 o'clock mark.

Watts don't really mean much in the grand scheme of things I've heard 100 watts amps that sound weak and 6 watt amps that would rock your world with the right speakers in toe. So wouldn't pay to much attention to it in general unless the speakers are bit hungry for power (normally a bad sign for low-level listening)

its all about the speaker.

I really think you need to go to a dealer or at least chat to one and tell them you requirements.
Before you spend any money.

Reactions: Jasonovich and JDL

JDL

Jun 13, 2023
Visit site
Amps have nothing to do with gain/room-filling sound at low listening levels beyond the obvious.

I use a sugden a21 (23 watts) with klipsch heresy's (99db sensitivity) i can fill the room with a full sound with the volume knob bearly off the 6 o'clock mark.

Watts don't really mean much in the grand scheme of things I've heard 100 watts amps that sound weak and 6 watt amps that would rock your world with the right speakers in toe. So wouldn't pay to much attention to it in general unless the speakers are bit hungry for power (normally a bad sign for low-level listening)

I really think you need to go to a dealer or at least chat to one and tell them you requirements.
Thanks for the advice. It looks like I'm seriously behind the times. One thing is though, I don't want to spend money on features that I won't use and don't want, like streaming, Bluetooth. I want all the money to go into the quality of a simple amp with line level source for my CD players that's all.

Jasonovich

Jul 28, 2022
Visit site
Oh wow, I want one. The only problem is that I’ve just bought a phono preamp. And I’m sure that will lead to a new turntable. But then I’d probably NEED a better amp to keep up…
I so love the retro look, I woul have to sell the Adam active speakers and replace them with passive ones and reconfigure my near field setup to a conventional repositioning. I am tempted 😊

JDL

Jun 13, 2023
Visit site
The big question is, what speakers do you have?
KEF LS 50 Meta, or my old B&W 602 S3, which are still perfect and also, I have a pair of B&W 707 S2. I was going to sell them but I'm open minded. I could sell everything, keep something or whatever. I bought the KEFs because What Hi-Fi seemed to highly recommend them. I think they do sound pretty good. But then so do the 707s in a different way and even my old 602s sound nice. It's difficult to test anything because I live miles and miles from any dealers and I hate travelling being a bit of a hermit 😂

KEF LS 50 Meta, or my old B&W 602 S3, which are still perfect and also, I have a pair of B&W 707 S2. I was going to sell them but I'm open minded. I could sell everything, keep something or whatever. I bought the KEFs because What Hi-Fi seemed to highly recommend them. I think they do sound pretty good. But then so do the 707s in a different way and even my old 602s sound nice. It's difficult to test anything because I live miles and miles from any dealers and I hate travelling being a bit of a hermit 😂
Can I put the cat among the pigeons?

As you have B&W speakers Rotel work a treat together IMHO.

Otherwise stick with brands you are familiar with, so the upgraded Marantz.

Agreed. But watts are important (or the purity of the current at least) when it comes to controlling the speakers. And I'm not sure about the synergy between any of the amps/speakers he has.

Thanks for the advice. It looks like I'm seriously behind the times. One thing is though, I don't want to spend money on features that I won't use and don't want, like streaming, Bluetooth. I want all the money to go into the quality of a simple amp with line level source for my CD players that's all.
the reason I asked about dealers is I would consider what happens if you get a fault with a Canadian amp with no local dealers.

Reactions: JDL

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts