KEF LS50 best amp match: Pioneer or Yamaha?

corm

Dec 21, 2013
Visit site
Hello,

i've just bought a demo pair of Kef LS50 loudspeakers. I'm now searching for a good amp to feed them with all sorts of music. I like the looks of the new Yamaha en Pioneers stereo equipment. My question is, what matches perfect/better with the LS50 speakers; Yamaha or Pioneer?

For Pioneer the A70 or A50 (750 and 500 euro's).

For Yamaha the A700 or A500 (600 and 450 euro's).

The Pioneer are class D amps. I don't know how they sounds and the difference in sound between them ( only know that the A70 is european tuned and sounds more neutral).

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
I heard the LS50's with the Yamaha A500, AS1000 and AS2000 amps when I demo'd them before I bought them and swore I'd never do it to myself again.

Thin, bright and cloudy I'd describe the sound of the pairing...

The Yamaha's have good good power behind them but they just didn't suit the LS50's imo

What other amps are you able to demo as your selection is limited and the LS50's deserve good amplification!

Can you demo anything along the lines of: Arcam, NAD, Rega, Rotel, Cyrus?

T

the record spot

Of the ones you have mentioned the Yamaha AS-700 would get my nod. I'd be more inclined to get something better than the rest though. Do you have a good dealer with some secondhand stock?

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
corm said:
Hello,

i've just bought a demo pair of Kef LS50 loudspeakers. I'm now searching for a good amp to feed them with all sorts of music. I like the looks of the new Yamaha en Pioneers stereo equipment. My question is, what matches perfect/better with the LS50 speakers; Yamaha or Pioneer?

The Pioneer are class D amps. I don't know how they sounds and the difference in sound between them ( only know that the A70 is european tuned and sounds more neutral).

You have a pair of speaker that can sound very good when they are set up properly and driven by an appropriate amplifier.

With inadequate amplification, they sound very nearly as bad as d_a_n suggests above.

Revise your amplifier budget upwards by a factor of 2 or 3, depending on what prices are like in your part of the world.

What do you have available starting from around the €1500?

corm said:
Hello,

As long as you don't mind going s/hand, consider Arcam FMJ A32. Has a shed-load of power and will have more than enough control over the tricky Kefs.

Also worth looking at, if available, Creeks new offerings. They produce gutsy, yet fairly neutral amps.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
I would also consider cyrus. They do not sound harsh/bright as often described but add nice texture and substance to music whilst still sounding transparent and fast.

regards

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
drummerman said:
I would also consider cyrus. They do not sound harsh/bright as often described but add nice texture and substance to music whilst still sounding transparent and fast.

regards

This!

I had my LS50's with a Cyrus 8DAC and they sounded fantastic.

Only sold because we moved and needed the cash for 'just in case' reasons...

More than happy with my Cyrus 8XP and KEF R100 partnership now... Stunning sound with no over-the-top brightness or harshness whatsoever!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts