KEF LS50 disappointment :(

Page 54 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
floyd droid62 said:
David@FrankHarvey said:
In fact, I'm surprised more people don't look at amps like Arcam's SR250 for hi-fi use as you will pretty much be able to achieve a far flatter response with a little bit of easy tweaking. Obviously, nulls are a different issue - they can be reduced a little, but not completely removed.
just googled the price ,after cleaning my reading glasses*smile* £2500 " way out of my league" but thanks anyway*smile*
It's a step up from their A39, with the addition of DIRAC room EQ and HDMI and digital inputs. Licences to pay at this level I'm afraid!

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
David@FrankHarvey said:
In fact, I'm surprised more people don't look at amps like Arcam's SR250 for hi-fi use as you will pretty much be able to achieve a far flatter response with a little bit of easy tweaking. Obviously, nulls are a different issue - they can be reduced a little, but not completely removed.
Seems people are afraid of change. After listening to the effect of Dirac on the Arcam AVR 850 I got my eyes fully set on one. Am sure getting one, not a matter of if, just when. Am not very technologically mined, but can the Dirac software be added to any music system, this will make such a big impact as far as acoustics & speakers & the music.

Now the question would be why is Dirac not be incorporated into high-end Hifi or any Hifi. Cause I really think its worth the extra cost. Other wise it may just kill off the need to swap boxes & cables to balance the sound to ones liking.

Now Dirac on the LS50's actives. *biggrin*

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Native_bon said:
David@FrankHarvey said:
Seems people are afraid of change. After listening to the effect of Dirac on the Arcam AVR 850 I got my eyes fully set on one. Am sure getting one, not a matter of if, just when. Am not very technologically mined, but can the Dirac software be added to any music system, this will make such a big impact as far as acoustics & speakers & the music.
That is true, and it is why many people don't want to get involved in streaming - it's too far a jump to make for many people, and they don't want to get involved in the nitty gritty of streaming, and room EQ alike. Streaming is now very simple though, thanks to companies like Innuos. I don't think enough people know how easy it actually is.

Having said that, there are a lot of people out there who don't like a more technically accurate sound. People will generally buy what they like the sound of, whether that is the sound of the speaker, the room, or the combination of both. Room EQ tends to remove both of those aspects, so it isn't a technology everyone wants. I generally tend to prefer music without EQ, as EQ systems tend to remove the natural characteristics of the loudspeaker I have chosen because I like the sound of them. DIRAC though, can be used to remove boominess, but retain the speaker characteristics.

Now the question would be why is Dirac not be incorporated into high-end Hifi or any Hifi. Cause I really think its worth the extra cost. Other wise it may just kill off the need to swap boxes & cables to balance the sound to ones liking.
Firstly, DIRAC would need conversion to digital, so the product would need AD and DA convertors, which is fine if it is already a digital product, but if it isn't, that then adds significant cost. And then, if the product doesn't take full advantage of its onboard DAC with digital inputs, there's moans and groans...

I agree though. A product that can offer it negates a lot of headaches. Quality aside, I find a lot of people tend to listen to tonal balance when auditioning, rather than other, more important aspects. This type of listener would love DIRAC, as it means they can make anything sound exactly how they want.

Now Dirac on the LS50's actives. *biggrin*
:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts