just a few thoughts swimming in my head

smuggs

Feb 19, 2009
Visit site
1st is when people say that it sounded bright or harsh. i think alot is due to the source and losing control or wrongly powered/driven. I have put 4 cdplayers through 3 amps but with 1 pair of MAbr5's and they have gone from being dead lifeless,to bassy,to much treble allsorts you really would of thought that it was a change of speakers each time.

The next test was when i used an amp and cdplayer same cables and used, kef iq50's,mabr5,marx1,b&W685.B&Wcm1's and they all sounded about the same bar the cm1's which leads me to my next part.

people seem to say that wow these speakers are so transparent, revealing etc. but i am finding that the way to way to go is a speaker that yes might not be what goes in comes out. cause if you get a speaker like that you just find that you are only picking music that sounds good on your set up, and i promise you there are just as many bad recordings out there as there are good. Thats my aim in the next 6-12 months to found a good speakers that sounds good when good recordings and does not show up the bad ones. At the moment im staying away from metal tweeters.

T

the record spot

Nothing wrong with metal tweeters smuggs, as long as you partner them with the right equipment. My 752s have a mesh dome metal tweeter but you'd never know it.

A

Anonymous

funnily enough, i noticed more of a change when going from a nad c326bee to a marantz pm6003 played through my rx6's, than i did when changing from my old br5's to the rx6's being powered by the nad..

smuggs

Feb 19, 2009
Visit site
lovstromp, each speaker when play slightly louder than normal with kings of leon (milk) and coldplay (rush of blood to head) just fell apart lost control. and they became noise and you wanted to run over and turn them down. where funny enough the cm1's were still under control and they they seemed ok with everything i throw at them and at all volumes. Granted nothing ever made you get up and dance so to speak but they never annoyed me and on the whole i felt relaxed with a little smile on the old face and i also later that night thought i could easy listen to them for 6 hours with my 700song spotify playlist on shuffle.

smuggs

Feb 19, 2009
Visit site
hi record spot i have not listened them missions but i am using some mission standmounts i think they were only ever £125 when out but the some tweeter is a joy and them not being rear ported i do like. i also like 2 small holes for the bass rather than 1 big hole seems more balanced and spread out and not one blast.

matthewpiano

The ability of the amplifier to control your speakers is central to the quality of sound achieved. That relationship between the amplifier and the speakers is the most crucial bit of synergy of all IMO.

Messiah

matthewpiano:The ability of the amplifier to control your speakers is central to the quality of sound achieved. That relationship between the amplifier and the speakers is the most crucial bit of synergy of all IMO.

I agree and I think this is why I have found Active speakers so impressive as the ideal amps are built in.

SteveR750

Messiah:
matthewpiano:The ability of the amplifier to control your speakers is central to the quality of sound achieved. That relationship between the amplifier and the speakers is the most crucial bit of synergy of all IMO.

I agree and I think this is why I have found Active speakers so impressive as the ideal amps are built in.

with the added benefit that there is no room for the Great Cable Debate!

T

the record spot

smuggs:hi record spot i have not listened them missions but i am using some mission standmounts i think they were only ever £125 when out but the some tweeter is a joy and them not being rear ported i do like. i also like 2 small holes for the bass rather than 1 big hole seems more balanced and spread out and not one blast.

Hi Smuggs, yep, I have a similar arrangement having three smaller ports on the front of the 752. Less boom that way. The older Missions were very decent too - the 707, 717 etc. Not heard many of the very old pairs, but the ones I have I liked.

Messiah

SteveR750:Messiah:

Absolutely!

T

the record spot

SteveR750:Messiah:

Amen to that!

lovstromp

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
smuggs:lovstromp, each speaker when play slightly louder than normal with kings of leon (milk) and coldplay (rush of blood to head) just fell apart lost control. and they became noise and you wanted to run over and turn them down. where funny enough the cm1's were still under control and they they seemed ok with everything i throw at them and at all volumes. Granted nothing ever made you get up and dance so to speak but they never annoyed me and on the whole i felt relaxed with a little smile on the old face and i also later that night thought i could easy listen to them for 6 hours with my 700song spotify playlist on shuffle.

Thanks. Was kinda hoping for such an answer. Don't know whether you saw my switch-to-standmounts thread, but I have included the cm1s to my shortlist since then. They look so damn nice that you want them to sound accordingly :)

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
smuggs:The next test was when i used an amp and cdplayer same cables and used, kef iq50's,mabr5,marx1,b&W685.B&Wcm1's and they all sounded about the same bar the cm1's which leads me to my next part.

I'll pick any of those speakers out blindfolded!
emotion-1.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts