Question How to connect an audio lab 8000a amplifier to an audio lab 8000 cd player.

Petes1956

Mar 14, 2024
Visit site
Hi all.
I have recently retired and got into 70s amps, speakers etc…
I did purchase an Audio lab 8000a amplifier and separately an audio lab 8000 cdplayer (though the cdplayer is a lighter grey colour) I’m also sure that neither are specifically from the 70s.
However my predicament is neither came with an instruction manual.
The amplifier has two analogue connections and the cdplayer has four. I have tried to connect to both of the four connectors without success. Is there something that I require? A special lead? I apologies for my lack of knowledge but I’m trying to build a knowledge here.
Regards
Pete S.
Ps I would be able to supply photos if that would help?

You need a stereo RCA phono cable with two plugs on each end. Left and Right channels are carried on the twin cable.

On the CD player connect the L+R analog out to the Amplifier input. Red is usually Right. White or black usually Left.

Choose the input marked CD. Do NOT use an input labelled Phono or Turntable. Select the CD input you used from the knob on the front of the amp. Insert CD and press play.

They definitely aren’t 1970s as CD wasn’t launched until 1980s! Photos might help. I suppose you have got speakers connected?

Last edited:
Reactions: Al ears and DougK1

Fandango Andy

Hi all.
I have recently retired and got into 70s amps, speakers etc…
I did purchase an Audio lab 8000a amplifier and separately an audio lab 8000 cdplayer (though the cdplayer is a lighter grey colour) I’m also sure that neither are specifically from the 70s.
However my predicament is neither came with an instruction manual.
The amplifier has two analogue connections and the cdplayer has four. I have tried to connect to both of the four connectors without success. Is there something that I require? A special lead? I apologies for my lack of knowledge but I’m trying to build a knowledge here.
Regards
Pete S.
Ps I would be able to supply photos if that would help?
Please provide photos as suggested.

The 800a came out in the 80s (83 o think), and is still a fine amp. They carried on making them well into the 90s until the Tag McLaren takeover.

The early amps had balanced inputs rather than RCAs. If that's the case (and the CD has RCAs) you will need an adapter.

Otherwise it should just a matter of plugging RCA cables in. If the cables are new, they are sometimes a tight fit, need to make sure they are pushed in properly.

Please provide photos as suggested.

The 800a came out in the 80s (83 o think), and is still a fine amp. They carried on making them well into the 90s until the Tag McLaren takeover.

The early amps had balanced inputs rather than RCAs. If that's the case (and the CD has RCAs) you will need an adapter.

Otherwise it should just a matter of plugging RCA cables in. If the cables are new, they are sometimes a tight fit, need to make sure they are pushed in properly.
Cannot say I have ever seen an 8000a with balanced inputs but thats just me.
The CD player should have two sets of outputs labelled 1 and 2, Left and Right.ef
So not sure why OP is struggling, pretty sure manuals are available online.

Last edited:

Fandango Andy

Cannot say I have ever seen an 8000a with balanced inputs but thats just me.
The CD player should have two sets of outputs labelled 1 and 2, Left and Right.ef
So not sure why OP is struggling, pretty sure manuals are available online.
I have only ever seen one once with balanced inputs. I think it was only the very early ones. Although the case and the front panel remained virtually unchanged they were constantly updating throughout the 80s until the 90s version was essentially a different amp to the earlier ones.

I mentioned the balanced input, as that would be the only reason I can think of that it would be complicated.

I have only ever seen one once with balanced inputs. I think it was only the very early ones. Although the case and the front panel remained virtually unchanged they were constantly updating throughout the 80s until the 90s version was essentially a different amp to the earlier ones.

I mentioned the balanced input, as that would be the only reason I can think of that it would be complicated.
Quite possibly if he has one of those rare ones, however think he might have mentioned it rather than the analogue inputs he refers to. When you see how many he mentions they are obviously RCA sockets.
Although having said that the amplifier actually has more connections than he mentions.
I imagine he's referring to connections for marked CD.
In which case he needs cables to go from amplifier CD inputs to the CDPs No.1 Left and Right outputs.

Last edited:

Petes1956

Mar 14, 2024
Visit site
Quite possibly if he has one of those rare ones, however think he might have mentioned it rather than the analogue inputs he refers to. When you see how many he mentions they are obviously RCA sockets.
Although having said that the amplifier actually has more connections than he mentions.
I imagine he's referring to connections for marked CD.
In which case he needs cables to go from amplifier CD inputs to the CDPs No.1 Left and Right outputs.

Petes1956

Mar 14, 2024
Visit site
Fandango Andy & Al Ears.
Thank you for replying. Please see attached photo, which does show I’m using rca connectors #1 to the amp at cd connectors. I have connected a Marantz ki 63 mk2 to the amp which sounds very good. I saw the audio lab cd player (cheap) and took a plunge. Oh well you cannot win them all. Again many thanks for devoting time to reply to me.
Until the next time 😊
Regards
Pete S.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    338.6 KB · Views: 14
Fandango Andy & Al Ears.
Thank you for replying. Please see attached photo, which does show I’m using rca connectors #1 to the amp at cd connectors. I have connected a Marantz ki 63 mk2 to the amp which sounds very good. I saw the audio lab cd player (cheap) and took a plunge. Oh well you cannot win them all. Again many thanks for devoting time to reply to me.
Until the next time 😊
Regards
Pete S.
Are you saying you have connected a Marantz CD player to the amp using the same interconnects?
However you cannot get the Cambridge CD player to work?
Was it sold as a working piece of kit?

Fandango Andy

Fandango Andy & Al Ears.
Until the next time 😊
Regards
Pete S.
Certainly looks like it's all plugged in normally. What's the issue? No sound?

Have you done any checks, for example:

Does it turn in, screen light up, disc spin?

Do you have another amp you can try it with?

If you don't have another amp, do you have an exterior DAC, you could use one of the digital outs to a DAC.

Finally, where did you get it from, if it was sold as working, and it doesn't, you should be entitled to a refund.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts