Is streaming the future?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

slice

Oct 7, 2012
Visit site
I just like turning the pages of a book, more relaxing than scrolling down a screen, easier on the eyes, don't need power.........

I hope that asteroid isn't coming soon.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
bigfish786 said:
of all the music you have listened to via spotify, have you bought it on any other format to keep, after hearing it, or have you stopped buying music altogether?
Oh God yes! Quite a few. It's a fantastic way of listening to new music. And I still love buying CDs.
manicm said:
Major Fubar, no need to be insulting

I wasn't being insulting. People on forums just need to lighten up a bit and stop acting like they've just been physically assaulted the minute someone tells them on a forum quite bluntly that they're talking out their jacksy. It makes me wonder how you hypersensitive lot exist in the real world.

matthewpiano

I've felt a lot just lately that some of the arguments here end up completely missing the point of hi-fi, and that is for the enjoyment of music. How you consume recorded music shouldn't really matter. Some of us are traditional and like to have a physical collection and the whole experience of holding the album or recording with all it's artwork etc. in our hands. Others aren't bothered and are quite happy to stream music as they see fit. Then there are those who combine the two in some way that works for them. What is really important here is that whatever choice is being made, there is enjoyment of the music and that this is accompanied where possible by some trips out to see musicians performing live.

My greatest musical experiences have all been live ones. Just picking out a small handful of highlights brings back a diverse and rich range of memories - Alfred Brendel playing Schubert piano sonatas, Truls Mork playing the Elgar Cello Concerto with the BBC SO, Skrowacewski conducting the Halle Orchestra in Shostakovich, Strawbs playing their seminal 'Hero & Heroine' album in its entirety, Martin Simpson playing a wonderful set at Derby Folk Festival, Jethro Tull in full flow at Blackpool Opera House, and John Lees' BJH giving a fantastic gig at Buxton Opera House. This is a very tiny number of the many wonderful live music experiences I've had, and no matter what the price, make and design of the equipment or the source being used, hi-fi and recorded music isn't going to replicate that (wonderfully enjoyable though it can be).

slice

Oct 7, 2012
Visit site
When I first started to read this forum, one contributor always finished the post with the statement "listen to the music, not the hifi". I think this individual had a good point.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
slice said:
When I first started to read this forum, one contributor always finished the post with the statement "listen to the music, not the hifi". I think this individual had a good point.

I have said, quite often, that I have no problem separating my enjoyment of 'playing' music from my enjoyment of 'playing' hi-fi.

Unlike some, I have no need in deciding and declaring which is more important, to me they are separate hobbies, linked, but separate. I enjoy taking a system apart and resetting it all to make it sound better, its fun. So is listening to music, live or recorded, different experiences enjoyed in different ways.

For me, streaming (Spotify currently) is a music solution, not a hi-fi solution, simple really.

James83

Apr 2, 2015
Visit site
I wasnt expecting such a response. However it seems some of you have failed to spot a simple 'expression'. ie- The day music dies. Obviously music wouldnt die, and obviously in that case I would have to download etc. Its a simple expression to show that I really would not like this to be the case. Call me a dinosaur or whatever, but different people prefer different things, and the world would be a boring place if we all agreed with each other. I've been told i have an old mans taste in music. Hey, thats life.

Now this spotify may well point me in the direction of other music I may like, but hey, thats life (other sources also point me in the direction of different artists, and I thank them for the same). Perhaps to some all this means I dont like music much. Well, thats up to you, but id say 12 concerts in less than a month and a half tells a different story. Travelling across the Atlantic just for concerts as well. Add in the likes of Sweden and Norway. OK, I was able to turn it into a holiday as well but that wasnt the initial reason. But if that means I dont like music much, well, you are all entitled to your own opinion, and I thank you for that.

Ignoring the misunderstanding regarding my term- the day music dies, it does seem quite obvious a few people cannot accept other peoples' points of view. Insulting perhaps not (i'm thick skinned enough to just laugh it all off) but just because I do not wish to use spotify, and all I would rather do is buy a CD. Wow.

Oh, and regarding all the comments about ripping CDs onto other devices etc. Yes, I do that as well. A lot of my music is on an SD card in the car. But if I'm in the house, my prefered method is to plonk a CD on. My apologies for those that may not like this, but I thank you all for the kind words. Just let me know what kind of dinosaur I apparently am.

ta,

The Dinosaur without a nose

Um

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
James83 said:
I wasnt expecting such a response. However it seems some of you have failed to spot a simple 'expression'. ie- The day music dies. Obviously music wouldnt die, and obviously in that case I would have to download etc. Its a simple expression to show that I really would not like this to be the case. Call me a dinosaur or whatever, but different people prefer different things, and the world would be a boring place if we all agreed with each other. I've been told i have an old mans taste in music. Hey, thats life.

Now this spotify may well point me in the direction of other music I may like, but hey, thats life (other sources also point me in the direction of different artists, and I thank them for the same). Perhaps to some all this means I dont like music much. Well, thats up to you, but id say 12 concerts in less than a month and a half tells a different story. Travelling across the Atlantic just for concerts as well. Add in the likes of Sweden and Norway. OK, I was able to turn it into a holiday as well but that wasnt the initial reason. But if that means I dont like music much, well, you are all entitled to your own opinion, and I thank you for that.

Ignoring the misunderstanding regarding my term- the day music dies, it does seem quite obvious a few people cannot accept other peoples' points of view. Insulting perhaps not (i'm thick skinned enough to just laugh it all off) but just because I do not wish to use spotify, and all I would rather do is buy a CD. Wow.

Oh, and regarding all the comments about ripping CDs onto other devices etc. Yes, I do that as well. A lot of my music is on an SD card in the car. But if I'm in the house, my prefered method is to plonk a CD on. My apologies for those that may not like this, but I thank you all for the kind words. Just let me know what kind of dinosaur I apparently am.

ta,

No worries, and thanks for the response.

How about a light hearted read of this http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-32196117

UM

slice

Oct 7, 2012
Visit site
davedotco said:
slice said:

I have said, quite often, that I have no problem separating my enjoyment of 'playing' music from my enjoyment of 'playing' hi-fi.

Unlike some, I have no need in deciding and declaring which is more important, to me they are separate hobbies, linked, but separate. I enjoy taking a system apart and resetting it all to make it sound better, its fun. So is listening to music, live or recorded, different experiences enjoyed in different ways.

For me, streaming (Spotify currently) is a music solution, not a hi-fi solution, simple really.

A very fair reply. And I would think many posters on the forum have improved their system thanks to your interest.

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
James83 said:

ta,

I just saw a large pram surrounded by toys. Any clue?

Spotify and it's ilk are here to stay. It sounds fantastic and avoids the need to waste money on albums that are listened to barely once (I have many).

Long may it live. And in contrast to your rather Luddite world view, I feel streaming services have opened up people's eyes and ears to far more music than physical media sales could ever do.

I listen more now than at anytime in my life. I went through a lull years ago as CDs were expensive, and I bought too many duds. The original Napster opened my eyes and I got the chance to "try before buying". The streaming services came and I was hooked.

Jota180

May 14, 2010
Visit site
That's a very good point. For me I've 'discovered' numerous bands and artists from the likes of Radio Paradise and Pinguin Radio and have gone out and bought their entire back catalogue.

If you have services where you can stream the whole album I guess the need to buy the CD is reduced somewhat but thinking about the transient nature of businesses, are particular streaming services going to be around for years to come?

Another thing about these streaming companies, fairly soon one or two large corporations will own the major players and there'll only be plucky niche providers kicking around the sidelines left.

smbmetal

Sep 8, 2007
Visit site

I ripped all my CD's a few years ago and haven't bought a new one since. I've discovered far more artists since the likes of Spotify came along than I would have the traditional way. I just wish all the artists subscribed to it, as there are still some missing for me. Can't wait for CD quality streaming to be the norm.

I think the future of streaming could be hi-res music. Everything seems to be HD this and hi-res that.

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
smbmetal said:

I ripped all my CD's a few years ago and haven't bought a new one since. I've discovered far more artists since the likes of Spotify came along than I would have the traditional way. I just wish all the artists subscribed to it, as there are still some missing for me. Can't wait for CD quality streaming to be the norm.

I think the future of streaming could be hi-res music. Everything seems to be HD this and hi-res that.

To 99.999% of the human population, 320 Kbps streaming is indistinguishable from CD quality.

HD is utterly pointless as it adds nothing you can hear. They sometimes release better masters in HD formats and I feel this is nothing more than a sneaky trick to make ignorant audiophiles believe the format itself is of higher audible playback quality...it isn't.

andyjm

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
fr0g said:
smbmetal said:

To 99.999% of the human population, 320 Kbps streaming is indistinguishable from CD quality.

HD is utterly pointless as it adds nothing you can hear. They sometimes release better masters in HD formats and I feel this is nothing more than a sneaky trick to make ignorant audiophiles believe the format itself is of higher audible playback quality...it isn't.

Agree your comments about 'true HD' (24/96 and above).

A number of the streaming services are a bit loose with their definition of HD. I recall (but couldn't find the link) that Tidal have been suggesting 16/44.1 (CD quality) is in some way high definition.

"Marketing", I guess.

James83

Apr 2, 2015
Visit site
To Mr or Mrs Frog (my apologies, I do not want to assume either way).

No toys to be found yet. I purely responded quite pleasantly to some responses. Be a bit rude not to respond dont you think? But hey, I am quite happy to add that to my list of qualities. Toy thrower extraordinaire!

I have never once claimed spotify has no benefits. I have never once claimed it doesnt open people up to new music. I do believe I have made it quite obvious I can accept others that have embraced spotify. Well, unless you took my tongue in cheek comment at the end of my first post as being threatening!!

All I have said is that I have not embraced spotify, and have no intention of doing so. I also much prefer to just purchase CDs and will continue doing so. I also claimed that I have had my eyes opened up to other artists in other ways. None of what I said detracted from spotify or the benefits others may get from it.

Now, I may have misunderstood your posts, but it seems quite clear you are unable to accept other peoples opinions on this subject, which I find very much unfortunate. But not to worry. I will continue to read your responses to my posts on here, and have a good chuckle to myself.

Ta again for such thoughtful comments,

Yours,

The pram owning, toy throwing, luddite of a dinosaur with no nose!

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
James83 said:
To Mr or Mrs Frog (my apologies, I do not want to assume either way).

No toys to be found yet. I purely responded quite pleasantly to some responses. Be a bit rude not to respond dont you think? But hey, I am quite happy to add that to my list of qualities. Toy thrower extraordinaire!

I have never once claimed spotify has no benefits. I have never once claimed it doesnt open people up to new music. I do believe I have made it quite obvious I can accept others that have embraced spotify. Well, unless you took my tongue in cheek comment at the end of my first post as being threatening!!

All I have said is that I have not embraced spotify, and have no intention of doing so. I also much prefer to just purchase CDs and will continue doing so. I also claimed that I have had my eyes opened up to other artists in other ways. None of what I said detracted from spotify or the benefits others may get from it.

Now, I may have misunderstood your posts, but it seems quite clear you are unable to accept other peoples opinions on this subject, which I find very much unfortunate. But not to worry. I will continue to read your responses to my posts on here, and have a good chuckle to myself.

Ta again for such thoughtful comments,

Yours,

The pram owning, toy throwing, luddite of a dinosaur with no nose!

Of course I respect other people's opinions on the matter.

What I don't respect is statements like "The death of music". Melodrama at it's most cliched, especially when so many people get so much enjoyment from such services, and far from music's death, it is bringing new life into it.

If you "have no intention of embracing Spotify", fair enough, it's your loss. But to millions of people it has opened up doors to material they would never have been able to appreciate with legacy physical formats.

It's as big a leap in accessiblity as going from serial access tape, to random access CD, only more so. Now if someone suggests music I should listen to, I can, immediately. Utterly fantastic. Previously it would have meant going into town, finding a record store that allowed listening to albums of choice, or simply buying and take the risk...Which I did on many occaisions, which is why more than half of my 1500 CDs or so contain music I would never listen to again. What a waste.

As for "the future". I see a not too distant future where all media is consumed this way, music, film, news etc. And I for one welcome our alien overlords! :)

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
I'm still buying CDs (lots) because streaming services will never have extensive coverage of BBC drama, comedy, history etc.

iTunes does but the quality is dismal (only 64k) and contains no episode index points. (ie 6 x 30 minute episodes will appear as one 180 minute file leaving the user to guess where they start and end.)

I am seriously contemplating getting rid of all the music content I have ripped to iTunes over the years and just relying on Spotify Premium for that.

Right now I am just putting together large playlists of 'latin' music or French music etc. ( I've had a gut-full of British and American rock/pop) and i am thoroughly enjoying not understanding a bl###y word of any of it! Just loving the ambience and the mood :)

James83

Apr 2, 2015
Visit site
As I have already said, my comment 'the death of music' was an expression, and not meant seriously. I assumed that was obvious, but perhaps not. Obviously I know it wouldnt be the death of music. Thats plainly obvious. But to me it would be a massive massive loss, hence the expression 'the death of music'.

I have never claimed spotify hasnt opened plenty of doors to plenty of people. I have always, from my first post, said that it is beneficial to some people, and some will thoroughly like it.

I myself though can stick to Youtube to check out any artists that may or may not be suggested. If i like something, i will buy the CD. If i dont (which is the case most of the time) then i dont. If im sitting on the fence (ouch) then I simply rely on Youtube if I ever get the urge to listen again.

Now, where are my spice girls CDs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That definitely was a joke

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
matthewpiano said:
I've felt a lot just lately that some of the arguments here end up completely missing the point of hi-fi, and that is for the enjoyment of music. How you consume recorded music shouldn't really matter.

Wot! R U havin' a larf? This is a Hifi forum full of blokes...all of whom know best.

In case you need reminding, Hifi is about telling other people what they should think....with music coming a distant second place! *diablo*

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
Thompsonuxb said:
Not a user of any of the soft providers. YouTube being the only service I use to checkout newtracks.

My issue being one of ownership. If these services went belly up what happens to 'your' music.

I also hate the idea of 'premium' services and subscription - that really rubs me the wrong way for some reason.

Also can you record onto CD from them.

I see the convenience angle but I don't like the idea of my music in cyber space.

If it's the future I'm on borrowed time......

I like to own my music too, which is why I use Qobuz to find new things then buy them for a few quid on Ebay.

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
chebby said:
I'm still buying CDs (lots) because streaming services will never have extensive coverage of BBC drama, comedy, history etc.

iTunes does but the quality is dismal (only 64k) and contains no episode index points. (ie 6 x 30 minute episodes will appear as one 180 minute file leaving the user to guess where they start and end.)

I am seriously contemplating getting rid of all the music content I have ripped to iTunes over the years and just relying on Spotify Premium for that.

Right now I am just putting together large playlists of 'latin' music or French music etc. ( I've had a gut-full of British and American rock/pop) and i am thoroughly enjoying not understanding a bl###y word of any of it! Just loving the ambience and the mood :)

iTunes will be releasing its own streaming service in a couple of months.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Infiniteloop said:
chebby said:

iTunes will be releasing its own streaming service in a couple of months.

Most probably, but Apple remain very coy about the details.

Pricing, quality levels and functionality all remain 'in the air' at the present time.

Personally I am looking for a service that emulates Spotify Connect in that it can run on a dedicated streamer (new ATV maybe) using an Apple device as a controller and offers better SQ and user experience.

It will need to have offline functionality on an iPod touch and ideally eq on the 'main' setup, something that Connect lacks. I am expecting a better 'user experience' given all the chat about curation, should lead to better search functionality too.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
James83 said:
I myself though can stick to Youtube to check out any artists that may or may not be suggested. If i like something, i will buy the CD. If i dont (which is the case most of the time) then i dont. If im sitting on the fence (ouch) then I simply rely on Youtube if I ever get the urge to listen again.

You can do the same with Spotify except that has an infinitely bigger library of songs and far better sound quality. I totally respect the fact you prefer to buy CDs. But streaming is the future, and I think the only thing people really reacted to was the silly melodramatic statement about 'the day the music dies'.

The format music is delivered in is irrerlevant really, so long as it's good enough, except for fuddy duddies* hypnotized by the romance of vinyl and all the faff which goes with it.

Honestly this is just history repeating itself. Just substitute 'streaming' for 'CDs' and subtract 32 years.

*self included to a certain extent though I haven't bought a new record for nearly ten years.

pauln

Feb 26, 2008
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
Honestly this is just history repeating itself. Just substitute 'streaming' for 'CDs' and subtract 32 years.

In a sense, yes, but at the same time it is fundamentally different because this time there is no physical media. Personally I want to buy and own music that I like and as some others do, use streaming to check out new stuff. These days most of my listening is done away from home in hotel rooms where the internet connection is either free and rubbish or good but expensive; or in my car, which has no internet. I need CD's so I can rip them to my laptop and put music onto an SD card for the car.

The whole concept of renting anything - house, car, women, let alone music, video or books is not one that appeals to me at all. Of course that doesn't suit everyone and that's fine, get your music in whatever way you fancy but I don't think the end of physical media is upon us just yet.

You've got to give vinyl its dues. It's been fighting it's corner for decades, and is still doing well.

I suppose cd is now the level at which all other formats are judged. It's either better than, equal to, or worse than cd.

A thought just occurred, how do you take your spotify to a gig to get it signed by the band.? Lol.

Im going to watch with interest how the streaming thing pans out. It could be the new Betamax, or the best thing to happen to music- ever.

I suppose there is always the added bonus that if music files get higher and higher in quality, least you won't have to buy the new "player" for it.

TRENDING THREADS