Is streaming the future?

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
manicm said:
cheeseboy said:
manicm said:
and when I rip my own CDs from LAME they sound consistently inferior to WAV rips.

bit of a chalk and cheese comparison though. What are your settings for the mp3 compression?

No it's not chalk and cheese, I've tried both variable bit rate and 320kbps. And they both suck in my own rips. I've found WMA rips very good.

You are doing something wrong.

andyjm

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
manicm said:
Thanks for stating the obvious in both cases, the difference with MQA is twofold:

1. Because of its reduced size it is ideal for hires streaming from Tidal - which will be forthcoming.

2. Also because it's about half the size of hires FLAC files - it's also ideal for downloading.

And Meridian is promising sound quality equal to the hires master. I'm not pumping MQA up, but it has attributes that can push it to the mainstream.

I admire Boothroyd Stuart from a technical perspective, but I am not sure that standard setting is the place to be. DVD Audio and 'Meridian Lossless Packaging' (MLP) didn't exactly work out for them.

cheeseboy

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
manicm said:
No it's not chalk and cheese, I've tried both variable bit rate and 320kbps. And they both suck in my own rips. I've found WMA rips very good.

yep, and that's why I asked what your settings were, so can hopefully help.

TRENDING THREADS