"as the artist intended"? LOL

My2Cents

Nov 10, 2023
Visit site
who came up with this tag line?
It should read "as the record company/producer intended"
Most artists (especially if it's their first album) have absolutely no control over how the final recording sounds.
Sometimes, when they get to hear the finished result, they are appalled at what the record company has done to their songs and their 'sound'.
Producers even bring in session musicians after the artists have left and re-record much of the performance.
Also, the budget for recording 'popular' music is very low compared to classical and jazz recordings.
Of course, with most classical music, no one knows what the artist intended 'cos most of them are now deceased! LOL
But the money spent and the immense skill of the musicians and technicians involved usually results in an impeccable recording and final product (whether on Vinyl or CD).

Reactions: DougK1

Vincent Kars

who came up with this tag line?
Neil Young. Initially he teamed up with Meridian. At that time he was talking about a revolutionary new audio format that would allow us to hear the music as intended by the artist. He probably was referring to what later become know as MQA.

with most classical music, no one knows what the artist intended 'cos most of them are now deceased
Might it be there is a difference between a composer and a performer?

My2Cents

Nov 10, 2023
Visit site
Neil Young. Initially he teamed up with Meridian. At that time he was talking about a revolutionary new audio format that would allow us to hear the music as intended by the artist. He probably was referring to what later become know as MQA.

Might it be there is a difference between a composer and a performer?
That was kind of a joke... the interpretation of deceased composers music is, of course, left to the conductor. I guess they are essentially doing 'cover versions'. Obviously, when the original composers were alive, they did get to conduct their own music if they chose/were able to do so.
Who knows if Beethoven would have approved of Karajan's versions of his symphonies?
Of course, we do know that Shostakovitch seemed to approve of Bernstein's conducting of his 5th in Moscow in '59.

Fandango Andy

That was kind of a joke... the interpretation of deceased composers music is, of course, left to the conductor. I guess they are essentially doing 'cover versions'. Obviously, when the original composers were alive, they did get to conduct their own music if they chose/were able to do so.
Who knows if Beethoven would have approved of Karajan's versions of his symphonies?
Of course, we do know that Shostakovitch seemed to approve of Bernstein's conducting of his 5th in Moscow in '59.
Not sure how much Beethoven would have heard. 😉

manicm

For 5th, 6th, 7th I love Klemperer. For Eroica and 9th I actually love Karajan's 60s recordings.

To deny what Karajan did great is foolish. There's room for everyone.

My2Cents

Nov 10, 2023
Visit site
The only speakers you will ever need if you want to hear the music as the mixing engineer heard it?
(That is, really badly, with very little bass, a ton of mid range and ear fatiguing treble)!
But hey... most of your favorite 'classic' albums from the 70's and 80's were mixed (or at least 'checked') with these at some point during their production and some are still today.
So much so that replacement drivers are still available.

Attachments

• NS 10m.jpg
    NS 10m.jpg
    184.2 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
The only speakers you will ever need if you want to hear the music as the mixing engineer heard it?
(That is, really badly, with very little bass, a ton of mid range and ear fatiguing treble)!
But hey... most of your favorite 'classic' albums from the 70's and 80's were mixed (or at least 'checked') with these at some point during their production and some are still today.
So much so that replacement drivers are still available.
They're ghastly, aren’t they? When I was very fortunate to have a day at Abbey Road as a guest of conductor and harpsichordist Christopher Hogwood in 1993, they were using those big B&Ws to replay the takes. I was disappointed that even Decca’s state of the art digital tape recorders didn’t sound as good as the live feed, but I still treasure the CD. (Mozart Horn Concertos with Anthony Halstead)

Kenneth Fernandes

Mar 2, 2024
Visit site
This is a great post! What's the amount to be paid for reading this post?

Nowadays the audio recordings, in the Studio, takes place with a Digital audio workstation DAW. So, it has immensely simplified all the analogue(recording/equalizer) devices and wires.
It's what the software application and plugins really have to offer and the producer's final result then :LOL:. Obviously, the main part is the Artist's contribution in the first place.

Last edited:

My2Cents

Nov 10, 2023
Visit site
This is a great post! What's the amount to be paid for reading this post?

Nowadays the audio recordings, in the Studio, takes place with a Digital audio workstation DAW. So, it has immensely simplified all the analogue(recording/equalizer) devices and wires.
It's what the software application and plugins really have to offer and the producer's final result then. :LOL: Obviously, the main part is the Artist's contribution in the first place.
It's .004 cents per view!

Reactions: Kenneth Fernandes

record_spot

I'd guess he was maybe referring more to his Pono Player that he financed about a decade ago. MQA was Bob Stuart's idea and a separate notion altogether.

Vincent Kars

His Pono (as developed by Ayre) played plain PCM, nothing revolutionary about that.
My assumption is that initially Merdian should developed this player including that new revolutionary audio format. When it took to long (if I remember correctly the Pono webshop was shut down even before the launch of MQA) he turned to Ayre

Reactions: Kenneth Fernandes

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts