Avoiding the Loudness War?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

loneranger

Sep 19, 2015
Visit site
davedotco said:
loneranger said:
Lyndorf has with the tdai 2170 amp a icc chip that restore dynamics. Is this the resolution against the loudness war? Then the loudness war goes ahead tgen cd, it goes also when you are streaming. And lp is nice but also expensive but everybode knows that streaming will be the future.

Not exactly a new idea, I gice you this from about 1975...
but does it work? Can the icc chip restore the bad dynamics on cd's? Or is LP still the best? I read very good reviews about the Lyngdorf. But also that it is on the bright side and bad records sounded very bad on this amp. Also not forgiving.

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
This is a vinyl v CD thread isn't it?

Well CD's sound better - get over it people......

Louder does not equate to worse and that DR site is misleading with regards the info presented ref 'dynamic range'.

Some of you need to adjust and address your fear of the volume knob.

There will always be poor recordings aswell as pristine ones......enjoy your music.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
Thompsonuxb said:
If you are as well-educated as Vlad says then your fundamental inability to grasp what we're talking about is surprising.

Thompson mentioned it. I just happen to remember it.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Thompsonuxb said:
This is a vinyl v CD thread isn't it?
No. But they can't get away with the same dynamic massacre on a record because by and large it wouldn't play. Hence the comparison with records, which as irony would have it, often have better-sounding masters cut to them than CDs and downloads because of their physical limitations.
Thompsonuxb said:
Well CD's sound better - get over it people......
For reasons already given which you don't seem to be able to grasp, it's not that clear cut, especially if the CD is made from a crap master.
Thompsonuxb said:
If you are as well-educated as you say then your fundamental inability to grasp what we're talking about is surprising.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
I see a utube video on which is better cd / vinyl ... And the video said that vinyl was much better then cd but they were also saying that older vinyl was better as it was straight copy from the master tapes which was analog back in the day that's way vinyl sounds better then cd but with modern vinyl it's just a digital copy taken from the master tapes as they record all modern vinyl / cds from a digital source so the dr range will be the same for both cd / vinyl . Is this right or wrong

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Blacksabbath25 said:
I see a utube video on which is better cd / vinyl ... And the video said that vinyl was much better then cd but they were also saying that older vinyl was better as it was straight copy from the master tapes which was analog back in the day that's way vinyl sounds better then cd but with modern vinyl it's just a digital copy taken from the master tapes as they record all modern vinyl / cds from a digital source so the dr range will be the same for both cd / vinyl . Is this right or wrong

I watched different videos on youtube. This one and this one.

MeanandGreen

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
The loudness debate seems to cause confusion with some people about vinyl vs CD. The loudness wars has got nothing to do with digital vs analogue. Poor (in the hi Fi world) mastering or production is deliberate and this doesn't automatically make digital bad or inferior. If anything it highlights the limitations of vinyl because it simply cannot cope with some of the mastering (even if it is bad) done today whereas digital just presents it to us how it is. If that means it's rubbish. it was recorded rubbish and that's high fidelity.

Technically CD outperforms the vinyl record in every measurable way. A really well mastered CD will outperform the equivilant vinyl and there is no getting around that.

The vinyl versions of some albums may be mastered differently due to the limitations of the format. If that means that particular record has a better DR than the CD version so be it. The CD could of been mastered even better but the muppets who produced decided not to.

I wish my Noel Gallagher vinyl was mastered to suit the format because it wasn't. One particular 12" single I have is distorted to hell and totally unplayable as far as I'm concerned. The CD version although still terribly produced is playable at least. It's not all black and white that the vinyl version is better.

The DR scale doesn't necessarily guarantee what you're going to perceive as good or bad either.

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
More sabre rattling Major?

I will say some of the last few CD's I've bought have been really well produced.

One of the more outstanding features being the 'silence' in the background and during those quite periods.

To be honest I do completely understand this argument - touched on it with my post that mentions Gregory Porter's 'Liquid Spirit' but it looks like it was missed.

I can understand what is trying to be achieved by most of these modern producers the way they mix modern pop.

And to be fair a well sorted 'source' should have the ability to resolve some of these mixes.

Using a budget cdplayer and dac to RIP to a hard drive only because some believe digital is digital is not the way.

Pairing a quality amp and speakers with a budget source is a recipe for dissatisfaction.

There is no loudness war. ....oh regards my education.....prrrrft!

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
Thompsonuxb said:
Pairing a quality amp and speakers with a budget source is a recipe for dissatisfaction.

You haven't got a clue.

Sonos Connect > DSPeaker Anti-Mode 2.0 Dual Core > Sanders Magtech > Martin Logan Montis

Absolutely wonderful.

Digital is digital. Get over it.

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
To add....

Back in the day when a man could use tone controls or a graphic equaliser without fear of dirty looks - most would compromise an originals recording with wild abandon.

The Vshape, or the Wshape across an equaliser was the norm.

Raising the level of the instruments between top end and bass above the vocals was standard fair before we all attempted to be audiophiles (Google images of equalisers - you'll see what I mean) ....let's not forget the master volume being pushed beyond good taste.

In fact we did the compression thing ourselves to our own music.

Much a do about nothing - you should all start a petition to bring back equalisers.

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
matt49 said:
Thompsonuxb said:

You haven't got a clue.

Sonos Connect > DSPeaker Anti-Mode 2.0 Dual Core > Sanders Magtech > Martin Logan Montis

Absolutely wonderful.

Another sound bite with no substance Matt49.

C'mon, explain why I have no clue Matt.....

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
This video explains everthing simply and completely so that anyone can understand the detrimental effect of the loudness war . *good*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Gmex_4hreQ

Appologies if it has been already posted .

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
loneranger said:
?

Wrong. The loudness war exist. In my genre, rock and metal, cd's sounded very bad. Lp better for your ears.

Ok loneranger, you got me because I have no metal in my collection.

Still surprised with a little adjustment you can't find a satisfactory solution to your issue.

Maybe for your music you need lower-fi.....

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
Electro said:
This video explains everthing simply and completely so that anyone can understand the detrimental effect of the loudness war . *good*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Gmex_4hreQ

Appologies if it has been already posted .

This is an interesting video.

Try and listen to it ignoring the narrators prompting.

You may notice other instruments. Have a listen.

I also touched on this when I mentioned recording LP's to CD but never touched on the having to resist not pushing the levels too high into the red, +6db and above....

But listen to that video.

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
Thompsonuxb said:
matt49 said:
Thompsonuxb said:

You haven't got a clue.

Sonos Connect > DSPeaker Anti-Mode 2.0 Dual Core > Sanders Magtech > Martin Logan Montis

Absolutely wonderful.

The substance is in my post.

I use a budget digital source with expensive amplification and speakers, which you said was a recipe for dissatisfaction. But I'm satisfied. It sounds wonderful.

You're trapped in an old-fashioned mindset that thinks a source has to be expensive, a throwback to the analog days when expensive engineering could make a real difference. Digital changed all that. All competently designed digital sources playing lossless files sound identical.

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
matt49 said:
Thompsonuxb said:
matt49 said:
Thompsonuxb said:

You haven't got a clue.

Absolutely wonderful.

The substance is in my post.

I use a budget digital source with expensive amplification and speakers, which you said was a recipe for dissatisfaction. But I'm satisfied. It sounds wonderful.

You're trapped in an old-fashioned mindset that thinks a source has to be expensive, a throwback to the analog days when expensive engineering could make a real difference. Digital changed all that. All competently designed digital sources playing lossless files sound identical.

Only if you use the right digital cable Matt.
teeth_smile.gif

Chris

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Thompsonuxb said:
More sabre rattling Major?

No. Just trying to point out why you're wrong. Normally it's absolutely ok to be wrong and people learn from it when the facts are explained to them, and you can almost hear the penny drop and the light-bulb switch on. Conversely, what happens with you is about six of us try to explain something, and in your mind it's it's always us who's wrong. In previous threads you've bemoaned the fact that people don't seem open to ideas and discoveries (think it was the ridiculous speaker-cable directionality thread), while at the same time you switch-off to any and all reasonable attempts to explain things to you that you have a fundamental misunderstanding of.

Other than that you're a good egg and there's lots of evidence on the forum showing where you've been first to jump in and give new members especially the benefit of your advice and experience. Wish we could somehow improve your weaknesses while maintaining your qualities.

iMark

Thompsonuxb said:
loneranger said:
Wrong. The loudness war exist. In my genre, rock and metal, cd's sounded very bad. Lp better for your ears.

Ok loneranger, you got me because I have no metal in my collection.

Still surprised with a little adjustment you can't find a satisfactory solution to your issue.

Maybe for your music you need lower-fi.....

You don't seem to understand that the listener can't undistort badly mastered recordings. There's nothing to adjust.

iMark

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts