Noteworthy and special Classical Recordings.

JDL

Jun 13, 2023
Visit site
Being a classic music lover, I occasionally hear recordings of famous pieces that grab my attention, because they're recordings of artists that have either had a particular good recording session, and/or they are beyond your classical artists that we're all familiar with.
For Example, when I heard Emil Gilels, playing the Beethoven Five Piano Concertos, with the Cleveland Orchestra, with George Szell conducting, recorded in 1968, I knew more or less immediately that here was something special. Something beyond the 'normal' recordings that we here from today's popular soloists and recording artists.
Another, for me is Earl Wild playing Rachmaninoff's Four Piano Concertos & Rhapsody on a Theme of Paganini, with the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra conducted by Jascha Horenstein. To me this recording by Earl Wild is simply breathtaking.
Another of note is the 1965 and '66 Columbia recordings of Lili Kraus playing the complete Mozart Piano Concertos. Nothing I've heard comes close to this utterly astonishing recording by Kraus. I've listened to numerous renditions of these Concertos by numerous Pianists but have been unable to find anything that comes anywhere near to the verve, the skill the breathtaking intuition of Lili Kraus playing these pieces.
I was chatting with a Pianist on here about this and he said that he preferred the recordings of this by Geza Anda recorded in 1961 or '62 with the Camerata Academics des Salzburger Mozarteums.
I immediately looked for CDs of this particular artist and recording session and found it. There's were not many available and they are expensive, the ones which are available for sale.
The Lili Kraus Columbia recordings have been impossible to find until 2 days ago my twin brother who I live with, found the complete boxed set of this recording session for sale on eBay, brand new, in Romania for £103 after conversion from dollars.
The upshot of this post, is perhaps, if anyone knows of any particular breathtaking recordings of famous classical pieces perhaps you'd be kind enough to let me know.

Rodolfo

Jul 31, 2023
Visit site
I like Brendel's Five Piano Concertos, but I'll look for your favorite.

I'm not particularly knowledgeable, at best, on classical music. Still, FWIW from a new forum member: One of my first CDs was John O'Conors's Telarc (1986) recording of my favorite Beethoven sonatas in <Beethoven Piano Sonatas, Volume 1>. I've enjoyed it since, and always figured "Telarc, probably best" or among them. It wasn't until recently that I explored further and listened to Rudolf Serkin's Great Performances release (also a 1986 CD) of the same sonatas. I think this is "breathtaking". Another different one is EMI release (also 1986) Christopher Parkening <In the Spanish Style>. A lot was released in the first years of CDs. Finally, I have several recordings of Vivaldi's Four Seasons, and I keep coming back to another first purchase, Lorin Maazel's 1984? CBS Masterworks recording.

My first CD, BTW, was Brothers In Arms -speaking of "classic".

Last edited:

JDL

Jun 13, 2023
Visit site

I'm not particularly knowledgeable, at best, on classical music. Still, FWIW from a new forum member: One of my first CDs was John O'Conors's Telarc (1986) recording of my favorite Beethoven sonatas in <Beethoven Piano Sonatas, Volume 1>. I've enjoyed it since, and always figured "Telarc, probably best" or among them. It wasn't until recently that I explored further and listened to Rudolf Serkin's Great Performances release (also a 1986 CD) of the same sonatas. I think this is "breathtaking". Another different one is EMI release (also 1986) Christopher Parkening <In the Spanish Style>. A lot was released in the first years of CDs. Finally, I have several recordings of Vivaldi's Four Seasons, and I keep coming back to another first purchase, Lorin Maazel's 1984? CBS Masterworks recording.

Thanks for the your suggestions and the info. I'm going to go and see what CDs might be easily available right now

Cricketbat70

Feb 2, 2023
Visit site
Rhapsody on a Theme of Paganini
I listened to that for the first time last night on Spotify it's an instant Spotify favourite, obviously not by the artist you mentioned. Just getting into classical. Weirdly I think Rachmaninoff came to my attention because of a TV program about railway architecture and a station he had visited.

JDL

Jun 13, 2023
Visit site
Rhapsody on a Theme of Paganini
I listened to that for the first time last night on Spotify it's an instant Spotify favourite, obviously not by the artist you mentioned. Just getting into classical. Weirdly I think Rachmaninoff came to my attention because of a TV program about railway architecture and a station he had visited.
If you like Rachmaninoff, you must listen to "The Isle of the Dead" Op.29 often partnered with "Symphonic Damnces" Op45.
If you can find the version by the Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra, conducted by Vladimir Ashkenazy, this is utterly brilliant.
It's really great to hear of people getting into classical music. I listen to all sorts of music but where Rock, Pop, and various modern genres can become tiring to listen to, or mood dependant, classical is altogether more satisfying, interesting, soothing, thought provoking and in my opinion illustrates a far greater level of talent. This is of course a very subjective and perhaps a rather contentious thing to say. But it is my unwavering belief.

JDL

Jun 13, 2023
Visit site

Ha ha I have six different recordings of Vivaldi's Four Seasons. I find it fascinating and very enjoyable to listen to all these different interpretations of this famous and timeless classic.

Rodolfo

Jul 31, 2023
Visit site
Ha ha I have six different recordings of Vivaldi's Four Seasons. I find it fascinating and very enjoyable to listen to all these different interpretations of this famous and timeless classic.
I have Four (appropriately enough, and not counting Frankie Valli's variation). The most interesting or different is the Canadian Brass recording.

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
Being a classic music lover, I occasionally hear recordings of famous pieces that grab my attention, because they're recordings of artists that have either had a particular good recording session, and/or they are beyond your classical artists that we're all familiar with.
For Example, when I heard Emil Gilels, playing the Beethoven Five Piano Concertos, with the Cleveland Orchestra, with George Szell conducting, recorded in 1968, I knew more or less immediately that here was something special. Something beyond the 'normal' recordings that we here from today's popular soloists and recording artists.
Another, for me is Earl Wild playing Rachmaninoff's Four Piano Concertos & Rhapsody on a Theme of Paganini, with the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra conducted by Jascha Horenstein. To me this recording by Earl Wild is simply breathtaking.
Another of note is the 1965 and '66 Columbia recordings of Lili Kraus playing the complete Mozart Piano Concertos. Nothing I've heard comes close to this utterly astonishing recording by Kraus. I've listened to numerous renditions of these Concertos by numerous Pianists but have been unable to find anything that comes anywhere near to the verve, the skill the breathtaking intuition of Lili Kraus playing these pieces.
I was chatting with a Pianist on here about this and he said that he preferred the recordings of this by Geza Anda recorded in 1961 or '62 with the Camerata Academics des Salzburger Mozarteums.
I immediately looked for CDs of this particular artist and recording session and found it. There's were not many available and they are expensive, the ones which are available for sale.
The Lili Kraus Columbia recordings have been impossible to find until 2 days ago my twin brother who I live with, found the complete boxed set of this recording session for sale on eBay, brand new, in Romania for £103 after conversion from dollars.
The upshot of this post, is perhaps, if anyone knows of any particular breathtaking recordings of famous classical pieces perhaps you'd be kind enough to let me know.
Wow! There are so many wonderful recordings out there it's difficult to know where to start.

If you are up for an investment and willing to do some searching then the "Mercury Living Presence Collectors Edition" is worth buying. It's a box set of 50 CDs all recorded with meticulous care using a small number of carefully placed microphones. These are old recordings but still very good and the set is a great introduction to a wide variety of classical music. The Tchaikovsky 1812 is still stunning. The box also contains 2 discs of American Civil War music and "sounds of conflict". A Civil War cannon going off through your speakers is quite an experience! (This post made me get the set off the shelf and as I write I am listening to Rodrigo's "Concerto de Aranjuez".)

In 2014 I wrote here about how I auditioned hifi kit and this was my playlist:
  • Bellini – “I Capuleti E I Montecchi” DG 00289047708031
  • Shostakovich Symphony 5 RPO Ashkenazy – Decca 421 120 2
  • Grieg Lieder Von Otter – DG 437 521-2
  • Dowland Lute Music Vol 1 – Naxos 8.557586
  • John Armatrading – Classics – AM 982 3506 – Track – “Love and affection”
  • Shostakovich Piano Concerto 2 – Leonskaja – Apex 8573 89092 2
  • Joan Baez “Joan Baez” – Vanguard 79594 – Track – “John Riley”
  • Jimmy Hendrix – “Experience” – MCD 11692 – Track - “All along the watchtower”
  • Brahms Piano Concerto 1 – Grimauld – DG 479 1058
  • Beethoven Violin Concerto – Faust – HMC 902105
  • Tallis – “Spem in Alium” – CDGIM 006
  • Cream – “Wheels of fire” – Polydor 531 812-2 – Track – “Those were the days”
The classical stuff on this list is still very fine although some of the pieces are maybe not "famous". Easily approachable are the Tallis, the Shostakovich Piano Concerto and the Beethoven Violin Concerto. The Dowland Lute Music is a good test of your hifi as there is little more revealing than single strings being plucked!

If there are particular pieces you like then I would be happy to tell you which recordings I have of them.

JDL

Jun 13, 2023
Visit site
Wow! There are so many wonderful recordings out th
Wow! There are so many wonderful recordings out there it's difficult to know where to start.

If you are up for an investment and willing to do some searching then the "Mercury Living Presence Collectors Edition" is worth buying. It's a box set of 50 CDs all recorded with meticulous care using a small number of carefully placed microphones. These are old recordings but still very good and the set is a great introduction to a wide variety of classical music. The Tchaikovsky 1812 is still stunning. The box also contains 2 discs of American Civil War music and "sounds of conflict". A Civil War cannon going off through your speakers is quite an experience! (This post made me get the set off the shelf and as I write I am listening to Rodrigo's "Concerto de Aranjuez".)

The classical stuff on this list is still very fine although some of the pieces are maybe not "famous". Easily approachable are the Tallis, the Shostakovich Piano Concerto and the Beethoven Violin Concerto. The Dowland Lute Music is a good test of your hifi as there is little more revealing than single strings being plucked!

If there are particular pieces you like then I would be happy to tell you which recordings I have of them.

ere it's difficult to know where to start.

Hey thanks "Covenanter", much appreciated. I'll have a look around for the "Mercury Living Presence Collectors Edition".
I've got the one boxed set I could find of "Brilliant Classics Romantic Piano Concertos" saved in a watch list ready for me to buy (I wish). I heard some of it on YouTube and would love to buy it but it's about £240 and I've just sent the Crossovers from my recently acquired 1989 B&W 802 Matrix Series 2 speakers to Wilmslow Audio to have them refurbished and upgraded with better quality components. And my Meridian 206 CD player is awaiting a rebuild from Russ Phillips aka "Mr Tech Guy Ltd and my car is due to come back to me with an invoice for whatever that's going to cost, so I'm holding back on my urge to buy any boxed sets right now. But I'm an avid Classical music listener and musician and it means the World to me to listen to music, especially since the TV became intolerable to me over ten years ago now. I simply cannot stand it and absolutely will not watch it, look at or listen to anything, any of those people on there have to say. I've turned my back on them all permanently.🤣

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts