Looking for advice on DAC & streaming services

Revolutions

Aug 6, 2023
Visit site
Hi all, first post here. I’ve gotten tonnes of useful info from the forums so thank you!

I’m thinking about upgrading my amp, and it makes sense to try and solve streaming at the same time. Would appreciate any thoughts/advice/experience.

Questions:
- which cd quality streaming service has the most intuitive/simple app?
- should I upgrade my amp & go integrated or just buy a separate DAC?
- any recommendations for which Amp/DAC?

Current setup
Rega Planar 2 (90s) /AT VM95ML
NAD cd player
Bose Soundtouch Link (Spotify streaming)
Marantz PM6006 UK
Monitor Audio silver 300

I’ve been using Spotify since it launched, so the UX is second nature. Failed to shift to apple & Amazon as the app experience let me down. For now it hasn’t mattered as I presume the Bose soundtouch isn’t the best DAC going. But come to realise that I could run a 2nd subscription with high quality streaming if I’ve got a decent setup.

I think the amp is the weak link in my setup, as well as the streaming setup. I’ve been looking at integrated setups like the Cambridge Audio CXA81, which would mean I also need a phono preamp. I know the Audiolab 6000A sounds pretty good, and presume the Marantz PM7000N does too, but not sure if they’re much of an improvement over my current setup.

So, integrated or just buy a streamer?

And then recommendations for a music service that does cd quality & the app is simple to use? Preferably links directly to the amp (like my Bose does with Spotify). I guess Apple Music makes sense if I’m happy to just search for albums to play on the stereo.

Thanks 😊

WayneKerr

The 6006 only has optical or audio

ah, so it does…!

In that case, could I just get a small Bluetooth/airplay 2 receiver with optical out?
Wiim mini could be an answer as with optical out you can bypass the internal DAC in favour of the DAC in the 6006. Believe the Wiim is loaded ready to go with whatever streaming service you choose.

Stuart.W.D

Sep 29, 2013
Visit site
Spotify is fine with a Bluetooth device, such as Ifi Zen Blue V2. In order to get CD-quality streams, I recommend using a dedicated network player.

Take a look at this network player. It streams all relevant streaming apps. Cambridge's own app is both reliable and user-friendly. The MXN10 is equipped with a decent Dac chip for CD-quality streams and higher-resolution files. It's hard to find a better deal when you're paying for everything that's included. I can't fault the Cambridge CXN V2 network player that I have. The V2 is connected to a Marantz PM8005 amplifier.

Reactions: Revolutions

Revolutions

Aug 6, 2023
Visit site
Thanks for this- looks like a pretty solid option. Think I’m going to try to wiim mini first of all, the entry price makes it crazy not to for my first foray into higher quality streaming.

What service do you use, out of interest? I’ll likely only be using to search for and play albums, so want an app with a simple UI

Stuart.W.D

Sep 29, 2013
Visit site
My preferred method for using my V2 is via Qobuz, USB for my flac files, and internet radio for my favourite stations. I have no experience with wiim products and can't comment on its app interface etc, but wiim is well-reviewed. Online opinions say; the DAC chip is the weak link in the wiim mini, so make sure to compare the sound with your amplifier DAC.

John Darko conducts a thorough examination of the wiim mini. I'll provide you with the link.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2023-08-06-12-18-37-362_com.android.chrome-edit.jpg
    Screenshot_2023-08-06-12-18-37-362_com.android.chrome-edit.jpg
    214.7 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

Revolutions

Aug 6, 2023
Visit site
Thank you Stewart, will have a good look at all of this. Qobuz does look interesting, will give that a trial.

Already thinking if I’m likely to upgrade the wiim, why not go straight for something like the MXN10.

Reactions: Stuart.W.D
I haven't got into streaming in a big way yet but have used some services and read around quite a bit.
Regards services the general opinion seems to be Qobuz is the best for content and quality although Spotify offers the best and most intuitive user interface.
Me, I would take content and quality over usability any day.

Revolutions

Aug 6, 2023
Visit site
I haven't got into streaming in a big way yet but have used some services and read around quite a bit.
Regards services the general opinion seems to be Qobuz is the best for content and quality although Spotify offers the best and most intuitive user interface.
Me, I would take content and quality over usability any day.
I wish I could agree on quality and content over usability. I want both. The Amazon music app still haunts my dreams, and makes me feel icky just thinking about it…

Revolutions

Aug 6, 2023
Visit site
Getting both is not always a possibility I fear...
Life is a compromise...
I want cake, and I want it in my mouth. Just downloaded Qobuz, seems easy enough to use. A lot of the more niche music I listen to doesn’t seem to be on there, so a 2 streaming service is my solution. Spotify for everyday, Qobuz for hifi listening.

I ordered a WiiM mini from Amazon, excited to a/b the new things against Spotify & Bose soundtouch tomorrow night.

jjbomber

I want cake, and I want it in my mouth. Just downloaded Qobuz, seems easy enough to use. A lot of the more niche music I listen to doesn’t seem to be on there, so a 2 streaming service is my solution. Spotify for everyday, Qobuz for hifi listening.

I ordered a WiiM mini from Amazon, excited to a/b the new things against Spotify & Bose soundtouch tomorrow night.
If you can afford to pay for two streaming services then carry on.

Reactions: Revolutions

Revolutions

Aug 6, 2023
Visit site
Listening to Qobuz today out and about with my AirPods: streaming cd quality over 5g I did some listening vs Spotify. Apart from the volume boost there is a small improvement in clarity through the mix. Not huge. Will try lossless when I get back home to see how they differ in the earphones.

Given me high hopes for a noticeable improvement on my hifi with Qobuz vs Spotify and lossless transfer to Marantz DAC vs the Bose Soundtouch DAC 😃

Revolutions

Aug 6, 2023
Visit site
It's like anything in HiFi you will find improvements, but it won't be a night or day difference.

Spotify is a great option for streaming, particularly if you have a well-balanced system and listen to high-quality recordings. Spotify premium is adequate for the majority of people.
I’m all about chasing those crisp hi-hat sounds. Just turned 41 & spent 10 years as a gigging musician. Don’t think my ears have got much time left to really appreciate that satisfying sharpness.

<Update>
Just did some entirely unscientific a/b/c testing with Blur & Talking Heads albums. Spotify/Bose>audio in, Qobuz/wiim>optical in, cd>coax in.

Spotify fared well but there was a slight improvement with Qobuz. CD sounds the punchiest though. Interesting, and difficult to test as it took time to switch between each & set similar volume.

Either way, for £80 and a free month trial of Qobuz, I’m enjoying playing 😃

Last edited:

Revolutions

Aug 6, 2023
Visit site
Thought I’d share a little update after a few days of intense streaming on my hifi.

With the improvement in sound using the DAC in my amp, the difference between cd quality streaming on Qobuz & 320kbps on Spotify isn’t huge. 80% of my listening I’m doing other things like reading, so not really much need for me to pay for a 2nd subscription for a marginal gain.

Qobuz gets a solid 7/10. It’s definitely one of the better steaming apps I’ve tried, simple and intuitive. The fact that it was super easy to transfer my whole catalogue; saved artists, albums, favourite tracks & playlists, is a huge plus. Listening to Neil Young again has been a pleasure during the trial. A few complaints, like the volume of editorial content that gets in the way of the core use of the app: searching for music. The slow loading was a pain & made using it on the tube a no-go without having to download the albums beforehand. Also, AirPlay 2 is a little slow when you change tracks or pause.

I’ll be sticking with Spotify after the trial. I’m really glad I made this thread- the WiiM Mini was a cheap solution that’s significantly boosted streaming quality. I’ve given a good test to cd quality & lossless streaming and happy there’s no holy grail there. Thank you for all the help, suggestions & advice 😊

TRENDING THREADS