Is it wise to buy vinyl from auction sites?

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Hi PP

as you should know i'm from Portugal, and in this last 5 month i've bought (lost count) but more than 100 records on Ebay. Not one damage have occur, all have been very well packed, and behound UK i've bought two LP from France and one from Greece ( the most well packed until now)

bidding as I write on ebay...

Some are discribed as Mint and actualy are in Exelent condition, other are in Mint and rated as exelent.

Other then that no problems what so ever!

:cheers:

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
I have mostly had positive purchases off ebay....

Apart from 1, New Order - Subtance the huy said it was mint Ex/Ex, however wheni evenually received it 3 weeks later it was filthy, scratched and covered in mould! He refunded me but I kept it, cleaned it up it had pops & clicks but sounds ok.

I always search for 99p ones from the same seller to get a reduction on postage - got 4 the other day for about £8

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
Why is vinly more expensive than CDs?

Relative scarcity.

Remember you are paying for the fact that someone bothered to look after a good LP for decades in some cases.

A thirty year-old album with no dirt, dust, warps, scratches, groove damage etc. (and a cover in excellent condition too) is pretty rare compared to it's brand new CD version in most cases.

There is also the part that fashion plays in vinyl sales nowadays. It's become quite 'hip' again so that bumps the prices. (More people after increasingly less vinyl.*)

*Tens of thousands of attics and spare rooms and cupboards get cleared every year and only a few of those old vinyl collections make it to somewhere you can buy them. (Tragically most old vinyl still gets binned.)

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
Why is vinly more expensive than CDs? Got my eyes on a couple of albums and vinyl seems OTT.

It's not always, the missus was watching that program on ITV about the Now That's What I Call Music series the other night, the first CD (Now 4) is worth 500 quid, simply because they didn't make very many. Conversely the last of the vinyl issues (Now 35) is worth far more than the early ones, simply because there weren't very many sold (understandably).

chebby said:
plastic penguin said:
Why is vinly more expensive than CDs?

Relative scarcity.

Remember you are paying for the fact that someone bothered to look after a good LP for decades in some cases.

A thirty year-old album with no dirt, dust, warps, scratches, groove damage etc. (and a cover in excellent condition too) is pretty rare compared to it's brand new CD version in most cases.

There is also the part that fashion plays in vinyl sales nowadays. It's become quite 'hip' again so that bumps the prices. (More people after increasingly less vinyl.*)

*Tens of thousands of attics and spare rooms and cupboards get cleared every year and only a few of those old vinyl collections make it to somewhere you can buy them. (Tragically most old vinyl still gets binned.)

If they're kept in attics I certainly wouldn't want it. They warp very quickly. I know this to my cost.

That is one explanation. You could also look at it there's no bloody shops, so every sod is cashing in. Some I've been looking at is 3 x the cost of the same CD. Don't mind paying extra for carriage. That's reasonable. But 2-3 x the price of a CD? Nah. On that basis I have a million pounds worth of vinyl.

chebby said:
plastic penguin said:
You could also look at it there's no bloody shops...

We have a great one 10 minutes walk away. It even has a Keith Monks record cleaning service...

http://www.vinylrecords.co.uk/

That's great if you live in Portsmouth or Havant and surrounding areas, not much cop if you're close on 60 miles away.

Very similar to the shop we had in Epsom, records in boxes with hand-made tabs to separate the different artists.

About 4 years ago I bought from the Epsom shop Led Zeppelin's 'In Thru The Out Door', which came with the normal cover and a printed brown bag (sleeve) and it cost me, unused, £12.00. There's currently exact same one on Fleebay with brown sleeve @ £54.00 (used) + carriage. Scandulous.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
chebby said:
plastic penguin said:

We have a great one 10 minutes walk away. It even has a Keith Monks record cleaning service...

That's great if you live in Portsmouth or Havant and surrounding areas, not much cop if you're close on 60 miles away.

They do online ordering.

chebby said:
plastic penguin said:
chebby said:
plastic penguin said:

They do online ordering.

I know. You'll also know I love the smell of those places, adds to the whole experience: Flicking thru different stock and coming out with something you actually want.

Just add to my previous post about how the lack of shops is playing into the hands of those with no real interest in music (probably). From the same shop at the same time I purchased the Led Zepp LP I also bought 'Out Of The Blue' by ELO on blue vinyl. It cost me around £18.00. I spent in total, including some s/hand stuff around £40.00.

Now look at the price http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Electric-Light-Orchestra-Out-Of-The-Blue-2-x-180-Gram-Vinyl-LP-/230977771959?pt=UK_Records&hash=item35c75919b7

MakkaPakka

May 25, 2013
Visit site
Never had a problem with anything off ebay. Conversely I've had damaged sleeves from HMV (twice with the same album that has a plastic outer) and a German site. Some very minor corner crushing from amazon as well.

Do prefer to get older stuff on vinyl but hard to justify the cost when CDs can often be had for under £2.

A

Anonymous

Christmas is fast approaching. And with Christmas comes that time for massive present shopping. However, I'm here to tell you that how easy it is to shop auctions and not deal with the mall crowds and traffic jams that come with the Christmas season. You can actually stay home and shop for the holidays in your pajamas!storage auctions

eggontoast

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I can't personally understand why anyone would want to buy a vinyl copy of any album (unless it's been deleted of course). They are bulky to store, a faff to use, sound poor, the only redeeming feature I can see is the artwork is nice.

Since the sound quality is comparable to mp3 at best, you'd be better of downloading it from Amazon or iTunes or better still just buying a second hand CD, at least then your getting a Hi-Fi quality recording (if mastered well).

Tear Drop

Apr 23, 2008
Visit site
eggontoast said:
I can't personally understand why anyone would want to buy a vinyl copy of any album (unless it's been deleted of course). They are bulky to store, a faff to use, sound poor, the only redeeming feature I can see is the artwork is nice. Since the sound quality is comparable to mp3 at best, you'd be better of downloading it from Amazon or iTunes or better still just buying a second hand CD, at least then your getting a Hi-Fi quality recording (if mastered well).

Oh dear.

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
eggontoast said:
I can't personally understand why anyone would want to buy a vinyl copy of any album (unless it's been deleted of course). They are bulky to store, a faff to use, sound poor, the only redeeming feature I can see is the artwork is nice. Since the sound quality is comparable to mp3 at best, you'd be better of downloading it from Amazon or iTunes or better still just buying a second hand CD, at least then your getting a Hi-Fi quality recording (if mastered well).

Hey Egg, you clearly haven't heard but everything sounds much better on vinyl. Get on message man.

eggontoast

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
DIB said:
eggontoast said:

Hey Egg, you clearly haven't heard but everything sounds much better on vinyl. Get on message man.

Come on, you're not serious are you, what is it 1985.

There is no comparison between CD and vinyl. A £50 CD player can outperform a vinyl set up of hundreds of pounds, easily.

Tear Drop

Apr 23, 2008
Visit site
eggontoast said:
DIB said:
eggontoast said:

Come on, you're not serious are you, what is it 1985.

There is no comparison between CD and vinyl. A £50 CD player can outperform a vinyl set up of hundreds of pounds, easily.

I'll take that Pepsi Challenge any day of the week. Besides, if LPs suck so much, why are you around this section of the forum? Pretty transparent.

TRENDING THREADS