is it ok to switch Rega amp on/off via mains socket instead of front switch?

TiredRob

Jul 5, 2023
Visit site
Hi,

I just aquired a Rga Elicit-R amp... it seems great so far, but unlike all my other components, the remote does not operate as an on/off switch.

I have a spare Hive main socket, which I can operate remotely - would it be Ok to use this to switch the Rega amp on & off instead of using the manual push button on the front of the amp?

I imagine it would be safe to do so, but don't want to risk damaging the amp, and I can't find a contact to ask Rega directly.

Thanks for any info!

Rob

npxavar

Nov 30, 2022
Visit site
TL;DR; Yes.

The internal switch on the Rega is placed before the transformer, which provides safety from transients created during on/off. Your mains switch is naturally before the transformer, so it is just as safe.

Reactions: TiredRob
Hi,

I just aquired a Rga Elicit-R amp... it seems great so far, but unlike all my other components, the remote does not operate as an on/off switch.

I have a spare Hive main socket, which I can operate remotely - would it be Ok to use this to switch the Rega amp on & off instead of using the manual push button on the front of the amp?

I imagine it would be safe to do so, but don't want to risk damaging the amp, and I can't find a contact to ask Rega directly.

Thanks for any info!

Rob
Yes of course it's fine. Most amps have 'stand-by' button on the remote control, but it's perfectly fine to unplug from the socket.

Reactions: TiredRob

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts