If your Hi-Fi was a car...

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
I've been told audiophiles would drive much better cars if they weren't spending so much on their Hi-Fi toys. I personally don't like very fast cars except to look at them and get driven in them. I much prefer big powerfull sedans like mercs, so is it strange I ended up with a B&W + Roksan system? Looks like I enjoy my Hi-Fi just like I love my cars.

If your Hi-Fi system or favorite component was a car what car would it be?

Consider:

1) Price

2) Age

3) Feel

Would you mind owning this car?

Paul.

Hmm, punches way above its price, most of it not new but not old. Not exactly esoteric choices either. Sounds like a MK1 RS to me... I'd love one.

Ford_Focus_RS_front.jpg

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
7086738175_420ecca0e0_n.jpg

Need I say more? Fun and exciting.

... and very small interior... we did try one before last car change as I like Alfa design but could't fit inside.. it must be made for not so tall italians, so we end up with powerfull and big merc.. now my hifi needs big and powerfull twist!

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
i was hoping we reserved Alfa for Steve and Rega but since he moved on to tubes he can spread in steam engine teritory.
grin.gif

Is Naim a sport car? Who is Toyota or BMW?

lpv said:
plastic penguin said:
7086738175_420ecca0e0_n.jpg

Need I say more? Fun and exciting.

... and very small interior... we did try one before last car change as I like Alfa design but could't fit inside.. it must be made for not so tall italians, so we end up with powerfull and big merc.. now my hifi needs big and powerfull twist!

It's a narrow interior but fine for legroom. I'm 6' 1" and have no problem.

Like the Leema the Alfa is a shedload of fun and exciting.

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
I use the Tokyo rail network. I wonder what kind of hi-fi that would be.

My main system is an all-in-one - the cheapest component made by a brand known for its very expensive, high end products - so I guess it might be the equivalent to the new minis made by BMW. Or from another perspective, as Esoteric is TEAC's high end brand, it might be the equivalent of the cheapest Lexus.

Like my hi-fi purchase, if I do buy a car, the car will be chosen to suit my living environment, so it may be a compact city car if I'm in Tokyo. Without giving consideration to where I live, something not too big and with AWD and maybe turbo charged, so maybe a Subaru or Audi.

letsavit2

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
Well I like driving a range rover, going over grass verges and turning right when I want, not because the sign say I gotta go left, 3 point turns and curbs what are those....!

So on the flip side my hifi should be massive power amps and great big speakers that p*ss the neighbours off...!

Vladimir said:
Because he had so much trouble with his Rega kit. Poor chap, reminded me of Alfa Romeo owner.

That's typical of people who know absolutely nothing about Alfas. You genuinely do read too many reviews that means completely nothing when living with a product/car.

I could give you a very fair low-down on Alfas, good, bad and the ugly... you'll be surprised they aren't beelzebub.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
@letsavit

Haha. They are like a church on carthweels, massive. But you have smallish sized hi-fi components. Where are the Krells, the Thresholds and the Classes? Infinity IRS speakers might be adequate size.

@PP

True, true. I am a big Alfa fan as well.
steeringwheel.gif
Cuore sportivo!

176999d1275817650-women-alfas-img_5377.jpg

plastic penguin said:
Al ears said:
If my hifi were a car at least I could drive to work with a warm bum. :grin:

My second car is a Morgan (@Covenanter) :cheers:

This'll suit you to the ground.

Apart from some very questionable use of an adjustable spanner you could well be right. :)

I'm sure 'er indoors would appreciate the four-poster.

Pipes 'n slippers all round what?? :rofl:

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
For the Devialet, I can't think of any other car than a Tesla. Radically new, expensive to buy but cheap to drive, and better than anything built before (says the fanboy :shifty: )!

I guess the 110 must be the Tesla Roadster then...

Tesla1.jpg

I would definitely like to drive a Tesla -- if taxes weren't so high...

cannibal_ox77

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
Never thought about this before but overall my system is nicely balanced, composed, smooth, spacious (soundstage) and certainly not lacking in power - the same words I could use to describe my 5 series (525d). Mines a 2005 model, there's certainly better tech in newer models, but what I have isn't particularly outdated either.

Floor standers aren't going to be as agile as smaller bookshelf/stand mount speakers but the RS6 are excellent in this respect for their size (like comparing the 5 to the 1 or 3 series)

Very well spec,d - a lot of features on the audiolab/marantz, and the car

Can listen/cruise for hours without fatigue.

Well engineered and built to a good finish all round. Good looking kit too (IMHO), the hifi and the car

I'd wouldn't say no to a bit more power (e.g a pair of 8200MBs - a 535/M5) but this comes at a much greater cost, and I'm very satisfied with what I've got (for now...)

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
My Electrocompaniet system would be a Noble M600 Carbon . ( 600 horsepower per ton :O )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MnllC8-8dpw

Basic solid simple engineering taken to the ultimate level with no unnecessary electronic controls or gismos , they both take the driver / listener to the ultimate sensory experience .

Both are probably owned by Thor :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts