How to prevent IR on the SAMSUNG PS50B530S

jk1988

Oct 3, 2008
Visit site
Hello can anyone help me on how to prevent Image retention on the SAMSUNG PS50B530S. I am using an Onkyo 606 amp, Sony bdp350 blu ray player and a standard virgin samsung box with a basic scart but I am using decent Monster Hdmi cables for the blu ray. Any advice would be greatful

P.s first time using Plasma as my old t.v was an LCD

jk1988

D.J.KRIME

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
Are you having any issues regarding tempoary image retention? or are you just wanting to take procautionary mesures to help avoid any issues?

jk1988

Oct 3, 2008
Visit site
A bit of both as I has left the sky movies pin reminder on the t.v for a bout 5 min and when I turned it of it was still there. But I also want to prevent.

jk1988

Cofnchtr

Oct 4, 2007
Visit site
Hi,

First obvious one - don't leave the SKY infobar onscreen or the Virgin equivalent!!

Second - don't use 'dynamic' brightness - asking for image retention.

Third - keep brightness down for first 200 or so hours of use. After this see second rule.

Fourth - image retention is harmless but screen burn is deadly.

Enjoy.

Cheers,

Cofnchtr.

Cofnchtr

Oct 4, 2007
Visit site
Hi,

Dynamic is for showing off the brightness in a retail outlet where they sell white goods. Only kidding. It just turns the brightness etc up full whack - probably if you were in a really really brightly lit room you may be able to use it to good effect.

Screen burn is image retention that doesn't go away unless you chuck the screen out.

Cheers,

Cofnchtr.

D.J.KRIME

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
jk1988:

Thankyou very much will there be anytime that I can use 'Dynamic'

And how do you get Screen Burn and How do you prevent that if possible.

Personally I would never use the dynamic settings as not only does it look awfull but makes your eyes ache after a few moments. I use either the standard or movie settings on my Samsung which after correct calibration can look quite stunning. Just make sure you don't have yourbrightness and contrast set too high, I think your Tv also has a option to adjust the cell light, if so make sure this is not set too high.

Your samsung will also have built-in screen burn protection so make sure you are using it, there is the very good pixel shift which I have set to shift 2 pixels every 4mins.

If you have any issues with temporay retention, a few mins of normal TV viewing should clear it, other wose there are a few paterns under the screen burn options on your TV which will clear any minor retention quite quickly.

D.J.KRIME

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
Yes a good starting point is basic adjustment to contrast,brightness and colour with something like the THX optimiser, but just how far you go is entirely up to you. I personally calibrated mine using a sensor and colourHCFR software which does give farbetter results as you can then adjust theTVs greyscale.

jk1988

Oct 3, 2008
Visit site
The two items you mentioned how much are they and where can I get hold of them. I have dvd's and even the indiana jones blu ray with THX optimizers on them.

jk1988

D.J.KRIME

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
A great starting point is to have a read throuh this advice HERE first to see if the sensor route is for you. Something like the Spyder3 will cost about £100 with the eye-one being slightly more expensive.

The software I mentioned is avalible for FREE HERE but you will also needsomething like the DVE Blu-Ray to give you all the test paterns you will need to corectly adjust not only the basics but the greyscale which luckly as a Samsung owner the settings for white ballance (greysacle) are both easy to find and easy to use.
emotion-15.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts