Worried by IR on Panasonic Plasma

AndyWright

Sep 24, 2008
Visit site
Hi guys, I'm considering splashing out on the Panasonic TX-P46GT30, having seen it in action it really looks good to me and just what im lookin for . Me being a plasma virgin so to speak, having always owned LCDs, im worried about image retention. I have been told that IR is a thing of he past with modern plasmas but I am still worried for the following reasons: I have young children and its sad to say that the main daytime viewing will be cbeebies which on sky hd always has the red button icon permanently on screen. Also I'm an avid gamer which has traditionally caused IR problems. So any owners out there who can ease my worries or should I settle for one of the new LCDs I've seen? (and not liked 100%) :? Many thanks All the best

sonycentre

May 30, 2009
Visit site
Hi Andywright,you always have the option of turning off the red button icon off.You just have to press the backup button on your sky remote and it will remove the red button icon.If you are happy with the tv then just go for it,im sure plenty of fellow forum members will give you the right advise when you have made your purchase. :)

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
AndyWright said:
Hi guys, I'm considering splashing out on the Panasonic TX-P46GT30, having seen it in action it really looks good to me and just what im lookin for . Me being a plasma virgin so to speak, having always owned LCDs, im worried about image retention. I have been told that IR is a thing of he past with modern plasmas but I am still worried for the following reasons: I have young children and its sad to say that the main daytime viewing will be cbeebies which on sky hd always has the red button icon permanently on screen. Also I'm an avid gamer which has traditionally caused IR problems. So any owners out there who can ease my worries or should I settle for one of the new LCDs I've seen? (and not liked 100%) :? Many thanks All the best

Andy,

If you got a GT30 you would have very little worries about IR. I had a G20 from last years Panasonic plasma range that did suffer from IR when using a games console and it became such an issue for me that i changed the tv this year and after looking at moving away from plasma because of IR worries i got to audition the GT30 properly from my local Panasonic store.

The GT30 has added two peices of tech that will minimise or even completely remove any IR issues as it has a pixel orbiter option (to constantly move every pixel on the screen) and a scrolling bar option to help wipe away any IR that may have built up. It was the addition of these features plus my love of a plasma image that made me buy the 42GT30 as the G20 had no such features and so far i have had no IR issues atall although as the screen is still in the 1st 200 hours run in period i haven't used my PS3 on it for fear of damaging the screen with some burn as alot of games have a static HUD on them.

I can understand your concerns when it comes to the children and the possible build up of logos from cbbc, for example, but as long as you have the pixel orbiter switched to 'on' constantly and don't leave it on 'auto' you shouldn't have any problems and if you do you can just let the scrolling bar wipe it away. Of course i can't guarantee you won't ever get any IR atall but at least you can rest assured that it will at least be minimised on the GT30 and easily removed IF you do get it.

I would highly recommend the GT30 to you as i've been very happy with it so far but of course your IR fears may still sway you towards an LCD/LED...the choice is yours.

A

Anonymous

+1 on that, I used to own a Sammy 50C6900 and IR was a big issue, my GT30 shows no signs and my son plays a lot of FIFA11 on it.

A

Anonymous

Hey markjaspy

Did you run it in or did you play games from day one on it mate? I just want to know as this is the tv I have my heart set on! You using ps3 or x box? I assume via HDMI?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts