How important is how your hi-fi looks?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
Speakers stand out more that any thing else, so yes looks do matter to some extent but sound always comes first. Love the sound of my speakers & the looks so its a win win situation. *dirol*

knaithrover

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
If it is in my living room it must look good and as white gloss is de rigour for my Mrs it had to be Roksan Oxygene with white gloss angular AE floorstanders. It's not so important in my listening room..

jmjones

Mar 8, 2009
Visit site
Another friend moved house, and his Mrs made the whole place black & white. He had a set of Oak-veneered speakers that had to go. He obtained a set of metal Linns (forget the model), which he bought blind. Black metal jobbies that sounded awful - even the lady of the house thought so.

Cue the re-appearance of Quads. He ended up foil-wrapping them , a sort of vinyl finish normally used on cars. First class job, and domestic bliss maintained.

There's often more than one way of skinning the cat.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
My speakers were carefully hand built in Denmark from chipboard and vinyl wrap effect veneer. The Vifa bass/mid drivers have foam surrounds and are made from paper.

The only thing that distinguishes them from the - almost identical - Sanyo boxes nailed to the walls in a local pub (refugees from a long deceased music-centre) is their incredible sound!

Also they don't demand to stand at least 1 metre into the room and 1.5 metres from any corner like some space grabbing prima donnas! They know their place and are optimised to perfom near walls and corners. (A major reason for trying them in the first place.)

This leaves the living room uncluttered by big, shiny, mal-proportioned intruders facing down the actual owner of the space they have taken squatting rights over!

So I forgive them their retro chipboard/vinyl/paper/foam appearance on sonic and territorial grounds.

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
If our present speakers don't go with the interiors our better half is keen on, instead of repolishing them, maybe we can consider a car vinyl wrap. Won't cost much to begin with, and will not damage the original finish if we decided to pass them on. But they come more in robotic shades I understand. In my case, my speakers would be placed away from a back wall of mirrors ..so I plan to wrap them in chrome. Should make them vanish completely and just leave the music behind. Just my 2 cents :)

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
Native_bon said:
Speakers stand out more that any thing else, so yes looks do matter to some extent but sound always comes first. Love the sound of my speakers & the looks so its a win win situation. *dirol*

I've started doing some background searching/researching into upgrading my floorstanders and it's true to say that I'm often simply put off by the looks alone, and with 2nd hand stuff - their condition. I think my cherry Rega RS5's look very nice and their condition is excellent, so it's going to be a stretch (and risk) to go 2nd hand - despite the savings to be had.

The S2TLK's are on my list of options, maybe not the very best lookers (IMO) but if they sound as good as the reviews, I can listen in the dark! *smile*

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
steve_1979 said:
newlash09 said:
...my speakers would be placed away from a back wall of mirrors ..so I plan to wrap them in chrome. Should make them vanish completely and just leave the music behind...

I'd love to see a photo of that when you're done.

That will be a very lively room for mids and highs.

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
My back wall will be complete mirror to add visual depth to the room. And I'll have my speaker placed about 50 cm away from it..can't do anything better..I'll have my lounger 8ft from the speakers..this is the best I could do..

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
I'm going to sound like your wife now, newlash. Put most of the $4100 you would have spent on PMC speakers into real estate. At a price of $75 per square metre https://www.globalpropertyguide.com/Asia/India/Price-History depending on what region you live in, that would give you a house 45 metres squared bigger than your current one. If most of that came in the form of a bigger listening room you'd be able to sit more than 2.5 metres from your speakers.

By contrast, someone living in London would be able to buy a house 1 square metre bigger by not buying PMC's.

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
Angle I've never thought about. How about I say..ive stopped alcohol and smoking as well. In the single aim that I a get a good system to listen to. I used to blow money in the club's before. But now I save 600 USD a month, that goes to my hifi kitty. So I don't think IAM too wrong to aim for a good setup...am I..

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
We should stop now..this wisdom of spending wisely won't bore well with anyone here.. everyone here is going out of his way and out of his budget, and hiding the expense from his better half..and all in the pursuit of better sound . Thats what makes me a part of the forum...IAM a part of that common pursuit too.

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
jonathanRD said:
Native_bon said:

I've started doing some background searching/researching into upgrading my floorstanders and it's true to say that I'm often simply put off by the looks alone, and with 2nd hand stuff - their condition. I think my cherry Rega RS5's look very nice and their condition is excellent, so it's going to be a stretch (and risk) to go 2nd hand - despite the savings to be had.

The S2TLK's are on my list of options, maybe not the very best lookers (IMO) but if they sound as good as the reviews, I can listen in the dark! *smile*
The sound is a no brainer. As per the looks, can be made to order, colour & finish. The bass on theses babies are deep & clean. First time I listened to them I thought it cannot sound so good at that price. Actually gone up in price due to Brexit. IMHO these out perform speakers costing up to 3k. They are easily in place of speakers costing 4k & above. Very balanced speakers yet they don't sound dull. *i-m_so_happy*

Still saving up for the Arcam 850. Hopefully should have the 850 driving these babies by xmas. *biggrin*

Pedro

May 31, 2016
Visit site
newlash09 said:
My back wall will be complete mirror to add visual depth to the room. And I'll have my speaker placed about 50 cm away from it..can't do anything better..I'll have my lounger 8ft from the speakers..this is the best I could do..

Glass is one of the worst things you can have in a listening room...

TomC

Jan 10, 2017
Visit site
As with the watches for which the primary role is to show the time, but I still buy them for appearance as well as in HIFI equipment, according to the primary function is in the first place but the visual experience is very important to me. It seems to me that the aesthetic awareness of the product is very pronounced today. Sometimes B & O was synonymous with design in the world of audio/video equipment. Today, it seems to me that all or almost all manufacturers are aware of the importance of the visual recognition of their own products, and many have also some kind of design series.

I believe that it is not far away when industrial designers will have special contracts with some of the equipment manufacturers. For example Gorenje (home aplilance), has several series made with top designers. The last example is Ora Ito or Starck (http://www.gorenje.co.uk/products/lines ).

As HiFi is the most common place in the living room, I think it deserves to be paid attention not only to the sonic but also of the visual aspect.

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
Pedro said:
newlash09 said:

Unless it's Philip Glass...

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Pedro said:

kings-college-choir3.jpg

"Oh b#gger! Now he tells us."

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts