Hi - fi Low- fi Whatever fi

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
BigH said:
Hi-FiOutlaw said:
DocG said:
BigH said:
He is on Spotify but not that album.

Here are some samples: http://www.elusivedisc.com/CHRIS-JONES-ROADHOUSES-AUTOMOBILES-CD/productinfo/SFCD6027/

Its on Amazon for about £13.

Cheers, BigH. The samples do give an impression of the style, and of the quality of the record. I like!

Gonna try Amazon! :cheers:

It is a nice album all through, but my favouritnis "No Sanctuary Here" my god, it really test the bass in your speakers!!!!

Its a bit of an audiophile album, on a good system you can hear crickets on the title track.

yes you can, in "Roadhouses & Automobils" theres crickets in the begining and the end of the music!

For me is a must have album!

:cheers:

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Hi-FiOutlaw said:
yes you can, in "Roadhouses & Automobils" theres crickets in the begining and the end of the music!

Apparently they are all the way through but only some systems will reveal it.

Do you have the album on cd or LP?

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
DocG said:
BigH said:
He is on Spotify but not that album.

Here are some samples: http://www.elusivedisc.com/CHRIS-JONES-ROADHOUSES-AUTOMOBILES-CD/productinfo/SFCD6027/

Its on Amazon for about £13.

Cheers, BigH. The samples do give an impression of the style, and of the quality of the record. I like!

Gonna try Amazon! :cheers:

I found the CD on Hot Shot Records (Germany), for 15 EUR + shipping. Ordered already, together with Nils Lofgren's Acoustic Live CD (still didn't have that one, can you believe it?) for 9.99. Thanks again, guys! Um, and now back to work :shhh:

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
BigH said:
Hi-FiOutlaw said:

Apparently they are all the way through but only some systems will reveal it.

Do you have the album on cd or LP?

now that you mention it, in fact they are all the way through, but in the parts that the music over right it you can ear them.

my copy is on CD, no vinyl edition of this album.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
davedotco said:
Alt country is the 'new' outlaw country but really it doesn't much matter what you call it. It's not difficult to tell good music from bad if you use your own criteria.

For example I consider good bar room rock and roll to be one of mankind's greatest achievements but I know that is a very personal view.

I like artists that bring 'something' to the music, can be anything really so for example I really love Muse, who shamelessly rip off everyone under the sun yet somehow make it all their own. In contrast I have no time for Alison Krause or Mary Chapin Carpenter invariably beautifully played and sung but to me quite pointless.

Then again I rather like Dido, so there is no logic to it at all.

Not sure what you mean by "good bar room rock and roll", do you mean pub rock? Any bands you could name?

I think I know what you mean about Krauss/Carpenter some of their stuff does not move me either but I enjoy some albums of theirs, sure there is more challenging/emotional stuff out there but I don't want to play that all the time. I don't mind a bit of Dido either.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
BigH said:
davedotco said:
Alt country is the 'new' outlaw country but really it doesn't much matter what you call it. It's not difficult to tell good music from bad if you use your own criteria.

For example I consider good bar room rock and roll to be one of mankind's greatest achievements but I know that is a very personal view.

I like artists that bring 'something' to the music, can be anything really so for example I really love Muse, who shamelessly rip off everyone under the sun yet somehow make it all their own. In contrast I have no time for Alison Krause or Mary Chapin Carpenter invariably beautifully played and sung but to me quite pointless.

Then again I rather like Dido, so there is no logic to it at all.

Not sure what you mean by "good bar room rock and roll", do you mean pub rock? Any bands you could name?

I think I know what you mean about Krauss/Carpenter some of their stuff does not move me either but I enjoy some albums of theirs, sure there is more challenging/emotional stuff out there but I don't want to play that all the time. I don't mind a bit of Dido either.

Bar room rock and roll is simply good time music to be enjoyed on your feet with a beer in one hand and a woman in the other.

The size of the venue is irrelevant as is the musical style, well almost. I used to spend a lot of time in the US and they do this brilliantly, live music from an often unknown local band, minimal or zero cover, just a band and an audience determined to have good time.

See this on occasion in the UK but much rarer, audiences are 'cooler' and the bands more serious, different scene altogether.

Pub Rock is a quite specific 'sub set' of this kind of music that was popular in the U K in the mid 70s, it included hard line R & B from the likes of Dr Feelgood, and more unusual styles like Hatfield and the North Kilburn and the High roads and the rest. It was completely blown away by punk in 76-77, which itself in it's original state was probably some of the best 'bar room' music ever seen in the UK.

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
davedotco said:
Bar room rock and roll is simply good time music to be enjoyed on your feet with a beer in one hand and a woman in the other.

Steve van Zandt has described the E-Street Band as a 'glorified bar band'. And at a concert once -- I forget where -- Springsteen described them as 'the best bar band in the world'.

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
BigH said:
Hi-FiOutlaw said:

Not sure about that did see 2 for sale as LPs.

There is no mention in the net about Roudhouses and Automobiles in vinyl, but please if you find any reference of this record being printed in vinyl advise me, and if you find a copy for sale I will buy it!!

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
matt49 said:
davedotco said:

Steve van Zandt has described the E-Street Band as a 'glorified bar band'. And at a concert once -- I forget where -- Springsteen described them as 'the best bar band in the world'.

Exactly, though I might take issue with the word 'glorified' if I was being picky.

Back in 77 I was at the Rainbow concerts (2 nights) that became the highly acclaimed Waiting for Columbus album.

Little Feet were tremendous on both occasions and almost the entire audience were on their feet throughout, another fine example of a bar room band transcending the venue.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
matt49 said:
davedotco said:

Thanks for explaining Davedotco. Yes I agree its something that is lacking in the UK, although there are still pubs that have bands. I guess McCabe's is the sort of place you are referring to, check out Shelby Lynne Live at McCabe's, would love this set up over here. The problem is in the UK most of the fairly well know musicians don't play small venues.

Graham Parker and the Rumour were described as pub rock although I don't think they ever did play pubs, Bruce Springsteen was a fan also, there was a good program on BBC4 a few months ago about GP, did have Bruce on there as well. GP and the Rumour were an excellent live band.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Hi-FiOutlaw said:
BigH said:
Hi-FiOutlaw said:

There is no mention in the net about Roudhouses and Automobiles in vinyl, but please if you find any reference of this record being printed in vinyl advise me, and if you find a copy for sale I will buy it!!

I just did a google search and here is one: http://www.musicstack.com/album/chris+jones/roadhouses+and+automobiles

I did find another yesterday but can't find it now but it was about £31.

Here it is: http://www.vinylsearcher.com/records/35442576/chris-jones-18/roadhouses-automobiles.aspx

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
BigH said:
Hi-FiOutlaw said:
BigH said:
Hi-FiOutlaw said:

I just did a google search and here is one: http://www.musicstack.com/album/chris+jones/roadhouses+and+automobiles

I did find another yesterday but can't find it now but it was about £31.

Here it is: http://www.vinylsearcher.com/records/35442576/chris-jones-18/roadhouses-automobiles.aspx

ok, thanks!

But the first link is a CD item!

The second link it takes to a vinyl item of this record, it's strange because there is no mention of this record being produced in vinyl in the the producer site STOCKFISCH RECORDS.

But thanks just the same!

Um

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
Went for the excellent Monitor Audio WS100 in the end . Not exactly low Fi at all . just bloody good . awesome at you desk and great when used as background music. Good choice . an Active design I believe :)

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Hi-FiOutlaw said:
hi DogG

when I was demoing hi fi, last year, i've demo Epos speakers with Creek amps and the guy that was doing the demo played a CD from Chris Jones Roadhouses & automobiles, he is a country music singer, i'm not to much in country, as it is not my cup of tea, but when i left the demo i went to buy the CD!

Chris Jones is a wonderfull artist and the cd is mastered suberbly!!! It is quite an acoustic performance with a great beeeeeep bass!

I ordered the CD and it arrived this morning. Just gave it a first spin. Holy bowel motion! It's just brilliant! Hours of hifi satisfaction ahead...

Thanks, Outlaw. I owe you one (even though you called me dog ;)) !

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
DocG said:
Hi-FiOutlaw said:
hi DogG

when I was demoing hi fi, last year, i've demo Epos speakers with Creek amps and the guy that was doing the demo played a CD from Chris Jones Roadhouses & automobiles, he is a country music singer, i'm not to much in country, as it is not my cup of tea, but when i left the demo i went to buy the CD!

Chris Jones is a wonderfull artist and the cd is mastered suberbly!!! It is quite an acoustic performance with a great beeeeeep bass!

I ordered the CD and it arrived this morning. Just gave it a first spin. Holy bowel motion! It's just brilliant! Hours of hifi satisfaction ahead...

Thanks, Outlaw. I owe you one (even though you called me dog ;)) !

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

SORRY DocG !!! :oops:

But i'm happy that you liked it! It's a hell of a record, and "No Sanctuary Here" is the corollary...! It's a window shaking song!

TRENDING THREADS