Hi fi bores (audiophiles)

• Thread starter QuestForThe13thNote
  • Start date
Q

QuestForThe13thNote

I've built up a very decent cyrus signature system and pmc twenty5 speakers, probably worth about £15k.

Ive participated on a number of forums used by audiophile people and I've come to the view, god most of them are boring. They seem to be on a never ending quest for audiophile perfection against just realising a good system is good, leaving it like that, and getting on with the most important part - the music, which most of them seem to have forgotten about. To them rather than just realising their systems are way better than most, and leaving it like that, they want to keep on chatting and debating this and that, and watts and amps and god it's geeky.

Then on their music tastes, many of them live in the dark ages. Nothing new or contemporaary and they tend to be middle aged men or those in 50s who have built up collections in the 70s and 80s and are a bit stuck in their ways on music tastes.

I once did what they call 'bake offs' where you match different kit of different people together. 3 people off the forum came to mine and my speakers were clearly better on subtlety and detail, but their amps a bit more power and scale, and none of them could recognise the big differences of the two systems. I was willing to concede that mine fell down in some areas, but not in others, but they can't concede any shortcomings of their stuff. This is one of the big issues, that their hi fi is brilliant and nobody can self critique their own kit, just because they own it and their buying decisions are perfect.

Then you get the ones who get together (e.g. Scalford) and put weird systems together from the 80s and say their systems are better for a much cheaper price, than the commercially available stuff from the likes of naim and Cyrus etc. This is just utter rubbish when you hear the pricier naim systems and some of their ears are terrible. I think it's just about convincing themselves a person on a relative budget can get the same as someone where money is no object. Unfortunately for these audiophiles rubbish too. What world do they live in not to expect the big commercial players to make stuff much more on par than older hi fi.

then they totally blow all credibility out the water by saying such things as hi fi cables make no difference.

anyway sorry that's my rant over. What does anyone else think of this brigade. I'm really just a music lover who has a great hi fi I think, but realise it's all relative. End of. Where's the next album.

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

It doesn't seem to be, it seems to be just very monotonous and boring David. Get the hi fi, love it and until you want to upgrade then talk about it.

Gray

But being content is the answer.

Speaking as a fellow Cyrus / PMC user (Nothing like your 15 grand's worth) I can see (hear) why you're happy.

As for music taste. I'm stuck in the past, by choice. I'm heavily into jazzfunk and (proper) soul (as opposed to the 'R&B' of today). I can tell you, without fear of (any valid) contradiction that, barring some future miracle, the best of that will always be from the 70's and early 80's - boring or not, there ain't much I can do about that.

insider9

Gray said:
But being content is the answer.

Speaking as a fellow Cyrus / PMC user (Nothing like your 15 grand's worth) I can see (hear) why you're happy.

As for music taste.  I'm stuck in the past, by choice. I'm heavily into jazzfunk and (proper) soul (as opposed to the 'R&B' of today). I can tell you, without fear of (any valid) contradiction that, barring some future miracle, the best of that will always be from the 70's and early 80's - boring or not, there ain't much I can do about that.

Gray, I strongly recommend Esperanza Spalding's last two albums. Especially "Radio Music Society " with your taste in music.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
1) You are an audiophile as well, a boring one. I scrolled through most of your luke warm condescending soapboxing about hifi kit.
2) It's not about the music, it's about the kit.
3) Young people are idiots. I mean properly stupid. At least they have raging hormones going for them.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Vladimir said:
1) You are an audiophile as well, a boring one. I scrolled through most of your luke warm condescending soapboxing about hifi kit.
3) Young people are idiots. I mean properly stupid. At least they have raging hormones going for them.
I read this last night and was going to do a reply but thought better not as id get in trouble from the mods or make someone have another tantrum. But i agree what you say as £15000 just to power up pmc 23 seems like a hell of a waste of money and just a brag then mocks people who like hifi equipment.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:
Vladimir said:
I read this last night and was going to do a reply but thought better not as id get in trouble from the mods or make someone have another tantrum. But i agree what you say as £15000 just to power up pmc 23 seems like a hell of a waste of money and just a brag then mocks people who like hifi equipment.
Well, its early morning and I haven't had my coffee yet, so I may have been a tad direct.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Vladimir said:
Andrewjvt said:
Vladimir said:
Well, its early morning and I haven't had my coffee yet, so I may have been a tad direct.

Nah was spot on

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
That cheered me up!

Pure, old-school, ageist, elitist, hypocritical, slagging off of an entire hi-fi web forum.

Sadly - for the OP - it's been done better in the past with far more wit, infinitely more bile and fewer words.

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

chebby said:
That cheered me up!

Pure, old-school, ageist, elitist, hypocritical, slagging off of an entire hi-fi web forum.

Sadly - for the OP - it's been done better in the past with far more wit, infinitely more bile and fewer words.

i was just giving an opinion on the subject, then you get a load of people spreading personal insults. I'd have expected a bit more reflection of what's going on with 'audiophiles' and intelligent detachment from self, but it seems if you are criticising me back, you are these people. Maybe not. I'm not one of the bores nor an audiophile. I just happened to buy stuff audiophiles buy.

These forums are filled with lots of great people, but god there are some idiots. Someone who wants more bile? This puts me off.

I don't think it's an entire web forum, most of the people come on for advice, are happy, then leave, and get on with the music part. The bores keep going on for weeks and years about stuff. It's draining to say the least. The people who do it on forums with 1000s of posts must sit in armchairs all day, and do nothing but posting.

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

Andrewjvt said:
Vladimir said:
1) You are an audiophile as well, a boring one. I scrolled through most of your luke warm condescending soapboxing about hifi kit. 2) It's not about the music, it's about the kit. 3) Young people are idiots. I mean properly stupid. At least they have raging hormones going for them.

if it's not about the music but the kit, audiophiles are creating a hobby. If one doesn't buy hi fi to listen to music faithfully reproduced but for the kits sake, what is the kit doing then in playing music. Is that incidental. And then the music...... how much Fleetwood Mac, dire straits, pink Floyd can one take. I like these all but for god sake these audiophiles should listen to something new.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
QuestForThe13thNote said:
I'm not one of the bores nor an audiophile. I just happened to buy stuff audiophiles buy.

It's all about the music, right?

brazilian_troll_face_by_braziliantrollplz-d345chu.png

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:
Vladimir said:
1) You are an audiophile as well, a boring one. I scrolled through most of your luke warm condescending soapboxing about hifi kit. 2) It's not about the music, it's about the kit. 3) Young people are idiots. I mean properly stupid. At least they have raging hormones going for them.

if it's not about the music but the kit, audiophiles are creating a hobby. If one doesn't buy hi fi to listen to music faithfully reproduced but for the kits sake, what is the kit doing then in playing music. Is that incidental. And then the music...... how much Fleetwood Mac, dire straits, pink Floyd can one take. I like these all but for god sake these audiophiles should listen to something new.

Music is something you use to see how good your hifi sounds. For this you need well produced recordings that you are familiar with. The ones you listed are called reference for testing gear. Steely Dan and Dire Straits is all I listen to on my hifi. I play Kanye on earbuds.

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

Vladimir said:
I'm not one of the bores nor an audiophile. I just happened to buy stuff audiophiles buy.

It's all about the music, right?

yes because I'd rather hear beethovens symphonies or Mozart and lots of modern stuff besides sound as life like as possible, that's why I spend on it. The hi fi is just an inert carrier and conduit to achieve that great sound. It has no actual value itself but the sound quality does. but I don't need to bang on for ages about fantastic all the technicalities. If it's at a certain standard, there may be better, fine - I don't need to go on a crusade for ages.

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

Vladimir said:
Andrewjvt said:
Vladimir said:

Music is something you use to see how good your hifi sounds. For this you need well produced recordings that you are familiar with. The ones you listed are called reference for testing gear. Steely Dan and Dire Straits is all I listen to on my hifi. I play Kanye on earbuds.

music is a spiritual experience not to just see how a hi fi sounds. Must be boring just listening to that but I sense a sarcasm there but ironically your sentiments are bang on the predicament of the hi fi bores and audiophiles. Oh and have to have vinyl as a right of passage, but often no steaming services.

I'm always looking for something new. Back in the 80s, I knew every album I had inside out, and I could tell you all the track names and the order they were in - nowadays, I have so much music I couldn't tell you what most of the tracks are called, even from my favourite artists.

To evaluate a product or system though, you need something familiar. The moans and groans of hearing Dire Straits and Pink Floyd at hi-fi shows are common place, but at least you're able to create some sort of opinion on what you're hearing, because you're somewhat familiar with the music choice. If they were playing something you've never heard of, you'd have no idea whatsoever what that system sounds like or what it's capable of. On the other hand, if it sounds good, you could argue that that is all that counts, and you might find a new artist to fill your collection with.

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
For me, HiFi is a hobby. If you go on other forums pertaining to other hobbies, such as Photography, Cars, Gardening etc. You'd probably find those equally as boring.

Not everyone simply wants a decent set-up and to call it a day. It's not about achieving audio Nirvana. It's about being interested in the various aspects involved in getting there and once there, exploring other Nirvanas. *biggrin*

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

Infiniteloop said:
For me, HiFi is a hobby. If you go on other forums pertaining to other hobbies, such as Photography, Cars, Gardening etc. You'd probably find those equally as boring.

Not everyone simply wants a decent set-up and to call it a day. It's not about achieving audio Nirvana. It's about being interested in the various aspects involved in getting there and once there, exploring other Nirvanas. *biggrin*

no because those are real hobbies which are constructive. You sort your garden out, fix a car etc.

i think people do want a system and then call it a day until they next upgrade, but largely audiophilia is dominated solely by men (I know of few hobbies where it's almost exclusively men) who just want to ramble on as some kind of willy waving exercise.

If you want to explore other nirvanas that means you are constantly changing the kit. I will do this but once happy I'm satisfied and I don't then need to be worried with does this have this connection, what are the watts. Most of it is way over my head and the understanding of most too.

it would be like buying a car and then deciding it needs a new engine, some skirts, some bigger wheels, then not being satisfied then changing it again. I'm just content with a really good car I can keep for a while, then move on. I don't need to talk about how much horsepower my car develops etc whilst I have it, I just appreciate it for what it is. Full stop.

If it's not about audio nirvana, that's quite messed up given the purpose of hi fi.

tonky

Jan 2, 2008
Visit site
davidf said:

I'm always looking for something new. Back in the 80s, I knew every album I had inside out, and I could tell you all the track names and the order they were in - nowadays, I have so much music I couldn't tell you what most of the tracks are called, even from my favourite artists.

To evaluate a product or system though, you need something familiar. The moans and groans of hearing Dire Straits and Pink Floyd at hi-fi shows are common place, but at least you're able to create some sort of opinion on what you're hearing, because you're somewhat familiar with the music choice. If they were playing something you've never heard of, you'd have no idea whatsoever what that system sounds like or what it's capable of. On the other hand, if it sounds good, you could argue that that is all that counts, and you might find a new artist to fill your collection with.

You me and many others I suspect Davidf - LP Album on laps, band/music details being studiously read and memorised as the music hightens the senses. Its not so easy to do with streaming services/hard drives and or tiny cd plastic which threaten to break every time you touch them (never mind not being able to take out the internal booklet without ripping it to shreds - and even if you do it's virtually unreadable with an electron microscope (magnifying lens anyway!)

+1 to everything Vlad has said too (with or without the morning coffee!)

One last thing - I do think (as well as enjoying the music) we all have a healthy respect for the equipment it's played through) - Obtaining good value for money is high on the list too!. If I had unlimited funds I would spend 15K on a system -v easilys (atm am v happy with exdemo Unitilite and Epos es14 speakers (preowned) total - 1600£

cheers tonky

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Are we gonna entertain the topic for discussion or just kick the troll? What's the consensus?

I went ahead of myself a bit. Blasting out Mingus' Haitian Fighting Song got to me.

chebby said:
That cheered me up!

+1

I sometimes wonder why I bother reading some posts. ;-)

tonky said:
You me and many others I suspect Davidf - LP Album on laps, band/music details being studiously read and memorised as the music hightens the senses. Its not so easy to do with streaming services/hard drives and or tiny cd plastic which threaten to break every time you touch them (never mind not being able to take out the internal booklet without ripping it to shreds - and even if you do it's virtually unreadable with an electron microscope (magnifying lens anyway!)
I have to admit that part of not knowing album info is not only down to the amount of new stuff I've built up, but also down to streaming them - select via tablet or phone, press play, close down tablet/phone.

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Well I'm a 59 year old beardy tw@t (Audiophile) who has spent more that £1500 on a HiFi system.

I've spent well over 40 years fiddling with my equipment and the result is one of pure pleasure, you simply can't beat it *wink* .

Over the last few years I have never been happier, I love my system because it makes live sounding music available to me any time I want it so for the money Iv'e spent it is an absolute bargain.

As to the music I listen to I would say that 60% of what I listen to is less than 5 years old, there is so much fantastic music produced by young people as long as you steer clear of the mainstream dross.

If you've got a couple of spare years have a listen to my spotify playlists.

https://open.spotify.com/user/electrohead58

Of course my system sounds better than all other systems and my wife is the most beautiful woman in the world that goes without saying even though I just said it *scratch_one-s_head* .

I dislike the sound vinyl, it just doen't sound realistic to me and far prefer all things digital.

I have listened to other peoples systems and I liked all of them and I took away ideas from them to improve mine, mainly room acoustic improvement ideas not equipment.

At the end of the day my system is just for me in a very selfish way and I love what it does for ME , I really don't care if others dislike the sound because it is purely for my pleasure only, I did not put it together to please others .

I love music to the extent that I would not want to live on this planet without it, music keeps my soul alive.

So QuestForThe13thNoteQ you are welcome to come and judge me and my system for yourself if you wish, not that I'll take any notice ( no offence intended ) beacause I am totally happy with what I have got. *i-m_so_happy*

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts