Hi fi bores (audiophiles)

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
QuestForThe13thNote said:
Infiniteloop said:
For me, HiFi is a hobby. If you go on other forums pertaining to other hobbies, such as Photography, Cars, Gardening etc. You'd probably find those equally as boring.

Not everyone simply wants a decent set-up and to call it a day. It's not about achieving audio Nirvana. It's about being interested in the various aspects involved in getting there and once there, exploring other Nirvanas. *biggrin*

no because those are real hobbies which are constructive. You sort your garden out, fix a car etc.

i think people do want a system and then call it a day until they next upgrade, but largely audiophilia is dominated solely by men (I know of few hobbies where it's almost exclusively men) who just want to ramble on as some kind of willy waving exercise.

If you want to explore other nirvanas that means you are constantly changing the kit. I will do this but once happy I'm satisfied and I don't then need to be worried with does this have this connection, what are the watts. Most of it is way over my head and the understanding of most too.

it would be like buying a car and then deciding it needs a new engine, some skirts, some bigger wheels, then not being satisfied then changing it again. I'm just content with a really good car I can keep for a while, then move on. I don't need to talk about how much horsepower my car develops etc whilst I have it, I just appreciate it for what it is. Full stop.

If it's not about audio nirvana, that's quite messed up given the purpose of hi fi.

Perhaps you missed the bit at the beginning where I said "For me".

Are you saying that it's wrong to tinker, to have more than one system, to swap components around?

I'm under no illusion that it's possible to achieve perfection. The best we can hope to do is achieve a sound we like. I've found I can achieve different sounding systems which I like for different reasons using the bits of kit I've got in different combinations. Are you saying I'm wrong to do this?

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
If hifi is that boring then why have you come on here or any other hifi forum then if it's that boring ???

just to p...... off people who actually care about there hobby it might be sad for you but not for me are you excising your ego just a little here ? .Hay look at me I have £15000 of shoe boxes for a hifi good for you now sod off .

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Don't get triggered over nonsense.

Anyways.

Technically the audiophile hobby isn't primarily about gear, since that would be hoarding really. It's about the sound.

D

Deleted member 2457

chebby said:
Native_bon said:
Can see the point of the Original post, but could be more tactile in presenting his case.

I really hope you meant tactful *shok*
regular_smile.png

D

Deleted member 2457

Do you guys use Bluetooth for you Hifi systems? I currently miss not having an amp with it.

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

Andrewjvt said:
Vladimir said:
1) You are an audiophile as well, a boring one. I scrolled through most of your luke warm condescending soapboxing about hifi kit. 2) It's not about the music, it's about the kit. 3) Young people are idiots. I mean properly stupid. At least they have raging hormones going for them.
I read this last night and was going to do a reply but thought better not as id get in trouble from the mods or make someone have another tantrum. But i agree what you say as £15000 just to power up pmc 23 seems like a hell of a waste of money and just a brag then mocks people who like hifi equipment.

i realise why you say that but pmcs are one of the best speakers you can get at the price points, and you can throw loads of electronics at them and they get better and better.

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

Electro said:
Well I'm a 59 year old beardy tw@t (Audiophile) who has spent more that £1500 on a HiFi system.

I've spent well over 40 years fiddling with my equipment and the result is one of pure pleasure, you simply can't beat it *wink* .

Over the last few years I have never been happier, I love my system because it makes live sounding music available to me any time I want it so for the money Iv'e spent it is an absolute bargain.

As to the music I listen to I would say that 60% of what I listen to is less than 5 years old, there is so much fantastic music produced by young people as long as you steer clear of the mainstream dross.

If you've got a couple of spare years have a listen to my spotify playlists.

https://open.spotify.com/user/electrohead58

Of course my system sounds better than all other systems and my wife is the most beautiful woman in the world that goes without saying even though I just said it *scratch_one-s_head* .

I dislike the sound vinyl, it just doen't sound realistic to me and far prefer all things digital.

I have listened to other peoples systems and I liked all of them and I took away ideas from them to improve mine, mainly room acoustic improvement ideas not equipment.

At the end of the day my system is just for me in a very selfish way and I love what it does for ME , I really don't care if others dislike the sound because it is purely for my pleasure only, I did not put it together to please others .

I love music to the extent that I would not want to live on this planet without it, music keeps my soul alive.

So QuestForThe13thNoteQ you are welcome to come and judge me and my system for yourself if you wish, not that I'll take any notice ( no offence intended ) beacause I am totally happy with what I have got. *i-m_so_happy*

ill gladly pop to yours sometime, I've just come to conclusion I hate all these tinkering audiophile bores. That's all, if anyone takes offence, they probably are one. But I recognise your system from another forum and I think we've chatted before, can you pm.

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
Electro said:
Well I'm a 59 year old beardy tw@t (Audiophile) who has spent more that £1500 on a HiFi system.

I've spent well over 40 years fiddling with my equipment and the result is one of pure pleasure, you simply can't beat it *wink* .

Over the last few years I have never been happier, I love my system because it makes live sounding music available to me any time I want it so for the money Iv'e spent it is an absolute bargain.

As to the music I listen to I would say that 60% of what I listen to is less than 5 years old, there is so much fantastic music produced by young people as long as you steer clear of the mainstream dross.

Of course my system sounds better than all other systems and my wife is the most beautiful woman in the world that goes without saying even though I just said it *scratch_one-s_head* .

I dislike the sound vinyl, it just doen't sound realistic to me and far prefer all things digital.

I have listened to other peoples systems and I liked all of them and I took away ideas from them to improve mine, mainly room acoustic improvement ideas not equipment.

At the end of the day my system is just for me in a very selfish way and I love what it does for ME , I really don't care if others dislike the sound because it is purely for my pleasure only, I did not put it together to please others .

I love music to the extent that I would not want to live on this planet without it, music keeps my soul alive.

So QuestForThe13thNoteQ you are welcome to come and judge me and my system for yourself if you wish, not that I'll take any notice ( no offence intended ) beacause I am totally happy with what I have got. *i-m_so_happy*

ill gladly pop to yours sometime, I've just come to conclusion I hate all these tinkering audiophile bores. That's all, if anyone takes offence, they probably are one. But I recognise your system from another forum and I think we've chatted before, can you pm.

Hate is a strong emotion towards a group of people you have never met or probably never spoken to or encountered other than on an internet forum. If you find it offensive, perhaps another interest might suit you better?

tonky

Jan 2, 2008
Visit site
Infiniteloop said:
Electro said:

Hate is a strong emotion towards a group of people you have never met or probably never spoken to or encountered other than on an internet forum. If you find it offensive, perhaps another interest might suit you better?

+1 for sure Infiniteloop - and to think he wants someone to pm him!

cheers tonky

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
I've built up a very decent cyrus signature system and pmc twenty5 speakers, probably worth about £15k.

anyway sorry that's my rant over. What does anyone else think of this brigade. I'm really just a music lover who has a great hi fi I think, but realise it's all relative. End of. Where's the next album.

I guess you were bored - why would you suddenly after 2 years rock up and post the above?

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

Infiniteloop said:
Electro said:

no I'd use hate, as many are

- not flexible to realise the shortfalls of hi fi and their stuff.

- come across as quite aggressive and forceful on forums

- idiots on forums who don't have the capacity to realise a point being made, they must take offence. Then it's not very pleasant. They don't understand when it becomes personal or not. People of low intelligence.

- people who don't see or accept others opinions, I think we've seen that by many responses on this one thread already.

I'm interested in hearing others stuff, but not the boring stuff that goes with it, and I don't feel I have to post hundreds a times a week or month like some of these bores, to achieve an interest in it. There are better ways of doing it than forums.

id like to hear a few peoples hi fis and I might go to some more visits to do that, but it's only to hear the sound and get interested in the sound quality, not bang on about vinyl cartridges for which vinyl stuff I have absolutely no interests like electro too.

What's a better way to meet people into hi fi, not bores, than the unpleasantness of forums? I think people can't really say what they think without being shouted, but nobody has any right to get offended on forums unless offence is really given. Goes back to thick people really

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

jonathanRD said:
I've built up a very decent cyrus signature system and pmc twenty5 speakers, probably worth about £15k.

anyway sorry that's my rant over. What does anyone else think of this brigade. I'm really just a music lover who has a great hi fi I think, but realise it's all relative. End of. Where's the next album.

I guess you were bored - why would you suddenly after 2 years rock up and post the above?

you see this is one of the people I'm talking about

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

tonky said:
Infiniteloop said:
Electro said:

cheers tonky

and another idiot

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
jonathanRD said:

you still did not answer my question *smile*

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

jonathanRD said:
jonathanRD said:

What does that matter. Maybe just a rant.

D

Deleted member 2457

tonky said:
Infiniteloop said:
Electro said:

cheers tonky

and another idiot
Dont say that - no need!

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
jonathanRD said:
jonathanRD said:

What does that matter. Maybe just a rant.

Something or someone must have prompted your rant? and you just decided to send it to a forum that you had not contributed to for 2 years?

But you are right to ask why it matters.

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

gel said:
tonky said:
Infiniteloop said:
Electro said:

cheers tonky

and another idiot
Dont say that - no need!

yes there is, one put down equals another . Just another purile and vacuous post of forum idiots.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts