Hi fi bores (audiophiles)

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
Q

QuestForThe13thNote

jonathanRD said:
QuestForThe13thNote said:
jonathanRD said:
jonathanRD said:
I've built up a very decent cyrus signature system and pmc twenty5 speakers, probably worth about £15k.

anyway sorry that's my rant over. What does anyone else think of this brigade. I'm really just a music lover who has a great hi fi I think, but realise it's all relative. End of. Where's the next album.

I guess you were bored - why would you suddenly after 2 years rock up and post the above?

you see this is one of the people I'm talking about

you still did not answer my question *smile*

What does that matter. Maybe just a rant.

Something or someone must have prompted your rant? and you just decided to send it to a forum that you had not contributed to for 2 years?

But you are right to ask why it matters.

yes a lot of it is pretty mind numbing.

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

I think bad people and idiots on forums really. You throw them a possible bone and the idiots come a running. They then stick together in clubs and put people down because they are internet mates.

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

I think bad people and idiots on forums really. You throw them a possible bone and the idiots come a running. They then stick together in clubs and put people down because they are internet mates.

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
QuestForThe13thNote, I'd still like to come and visit you with some of my hi-fi bits the next time I'm down south without all the family in tow.

Would you still be up for this?

If so what's the best way for us to contact each other?

I agree with the theme of your opening post in this thread. The psychology behind hi-fi is more interesting than the hi-fi itself.

Hi-fi is the type of activity that attracts a relatively high proportion of men that would score highly on Asperger's tests.

And I do think that a big test of whether someone on the Internet is worth listening to, when it comes to hi-fi, is whether they ever actually criticise the sound of their own components. Every item that I've ever bought has had at least one easily detected sonic flaw.

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Electro said:
Well I'm a 59 year old beardy tw@t (Audiophile) who has spent more that £1500 on a HiFi system.

I've spent well over 40 years fiddling with my equipment and the result is one of pure pleasure, you simply can't beat it *wink* .

Over the last few years I have never been happier, I love my system because it makes live sounding music available to me any time I want it so for the money Iv'e spent it is an absolute bargain.

As to the music I listen to I would say that 60% of what I listen to is less than 5 years old, there is so much fantastic music produced by young people as long as you steer clear of the mainstream dross.

If you've got a couple of spare years have a listen to my spotify playlists.

https://open.spotify.com/user/electrohead58

Of course my system sounds better than all other systems and my wife is the most beautiful woman in the world that goes without saying even though I just said it *scratch_one-s_head* .

I dislike the sound vinyl, it just doen't sound realistic to me and far prefer all things digital.

I have listened to other peoples systems and I liked all of them and I took away ideas from them to improve mine, mainly room acoustic improvement ideas not equipment.

At the end of the day my system is just for me in a very selfish way and I love what it does for ME , I really don't care if others dislike the sound because it is purely for my pleasure only, I did not put it together to please others .

I love music to the extent that I would not want to live on this planet without it, music keeps my soul alive.

So QuestForThe13thNoteQ you are welcome to come and judge me and my system for yourself if you wish, not that I'll take any notice ( no offence intended ) beacause I am totally happy with what I have got. *i-m_so_happy*

ill gladly pop to yours sometime, I've just come to conclusion I hate all these tinkering audiophile bores. That's all, if anyone takes offence, they probably are one. But I recognise your system from another forum and I think we've chatted before, can you pm.

Which forum, Do you use the same user name?

There is no PM funtion here but you can contact me on another forum if you wish to .

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:
Vladimir said:
1) You are an audiophile as well, a boring one. I scrolled through most of your luke warm condescending soapboxing about hifi kit. 2) It's not about the music, it's about the kit. 3) Young people are idiots. I mean properly stupid. At least they have raging hormones going for them.
I read this last night and was going to do a reply but thought better not as id get in trouble from the mods or make someone have another tantrum. But i agree what you say as £15000 just to power up pmc 23 seems like a hell of a waste of money and just a brag then mocks people who like hifi equipment.

i realise why you say that but pmcs are one of the best speakers you can get at the price points, and you can throw loads of electronics at them and they get better and better.
Is that your opinion, snake oil placebo or fact?
A little hypocritical considering all youve said about tinkering and upgrades.

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
Electro said:
Which forum, Do you use the same user name?
There is no PM funtion here but you can contact me on another forum if you wish to .
Yes, the lack of a pm function is a tiny bit "awkward". Any time any of the members of this forum want to arrange a get together, they have to contact each other via PM's on other forums.

grimharry

Aug 2, 2015
Visit site
Seems to me, as a personal opinion,that any one who visits a site such as this making the comments you have done implies that you have some deep seated issues. Or are you someone who for some reason has a smug suppiority complex who wishes to belittle others who only wish to give helpful advice.

Richard Allen

Jan 9, 2010
Visit site
In my experience, no point in giving advice because nobody listens due to having pre-conceived ideas. They only ask for advice to 'rubber stamp' their preconceptions. Anything other than that is classed an attack. I've followed this forum for over a year now just reading and it hasn't got any better really. Shame. I really had hoped this situation had improved but sadly not so it seems.

Samd

Richard Allen said:
In my experience, no point in giving advice because nobody listens due to having pre-conceived ideas. They only ask for advice to 'rubber stamp' their preconceptions. Anything other than that is classed an attack. I've followed this forum for over a year now just reading and it hasn't got any better really. Shame. I really had hoped this situation had improved but sadly not so it seems.

but it's not always the case. One of the problems I have on here is knowing who to trust and I don't mean that rudely. There have been a couple of occasions where I have seen an authoritative post by someone and then later it became clear that they had no first-hand experience of the issueitem under discussion. Received wisdom is not always the truth as witnessed by certain mags which promulgate 'less than accurate' reviews!

Gaz37

Sep 23, 2014
Visit site
Richard Allen said:

In fairness doesn't that work both ways?
Nobody is allowed to question "conventional wisdom" or popular opinion without being ridiculed and/or insulted?

Richard Allen

Jan 9, 2010
Visit site
It does indeed work both ways. I now feel that if people need advice on a particular product they have bought or are thinking of buying then a trip to their local dealer is the order of the day.

Richard Allen

Jan 9, 2010
Visit site
Gaz37. Your kit list is a case in point. Less than £250.00. Well done. As it does what you want it to do, job jolly. This is such a subjective hobby.

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

Gaz37 said:
Richard Allen said:

In fairness doesn't that work both ways? Nobody is allowed to question "conventional wisdom" or popular opinion without being ridiculed and/or insulted?

i agree with that, they are stuck in their ways to the extent they can't see things from another's perspective. One guy was saying the difference between the pmc twenty range and 25 range is similar on paper, so why bother changing. But the difference is quite profound. But all this stuff of using graphs to work out what we can hear (like some of these audiophile people do) and then even more complicated, what we prefer, is just a bit futile etc.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Richard Allen said:
They only ask for advice to 'rubber stamp' their preconceptions.

That is certainly all too common....but occasionally you get to help someone who is genuinely open minded, follows the advice and are thrilled with the result. That almost makes up for all the tripe. *unknw*

Gaz37

Sep 23, 2014
Visit site
Richard Allen said:
Gaz37. Your kit list is a case in point. Less than £250.00. Well done. As it does what you want it to do, job jolly. This is such a subjective hobby.

Actually that's a bit out of date, I reckon it's now probably as much as £350.
Big spender me lol

Richard Allen

Jan 9, 2010
Visit site
Cno, you well know that the number of people on here with sound and sensible knowledge can be counted on one hand so the odds of encountering them are pretty long. Far better to go see the local dealer IMO. I certainly shan't be giving advice on here anymore. Just not worth it.

Gaz37

Sep 23, 2014
Visit site
Richard Allen said:
Cno, you well know that the number of people on here with sound and sensible knowledge can be counted on one hand so the odds of encountering them are pretty long. Far better to go see the local dealer IMO. I certainly shan't be giving advice on here anymore. Just not worth it.

But what is sound and sensible knowledge?

Virtually everything in this hobby is based on personal perception or opinion.

Yes there is factual knowledge, take the graphs posted by Vlad in another thread, but anybody disagreeing with what they represent will argue that facts & figures aren't everything, and they may well be right

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

Gaz37 said:
Richard Allen said:

But what is sound and sensible knowledge?

Virtually everything in this hobby is based on personal perception or opinion.

Yes there is factual knowledge, take the graphs posted by Vlad in another thread, but anybody disagreeing with what they represent will argue that facts & figures aren't everything, and they may well be right

what is sound and sensible knowledge is basically on the matter of sq when it comes to hi fi. As features can be assessed easily. To assess sq you have to be able to make judgements realising that your own kit always has downfalls, that some people may be put off, but not others. Conversely that some kit may perform better at a lower and higher price. If you can divorce yourself of this 'mine is always the best' mentality you can look at stuff for what it is. If you can't then you can't give advice. But enough people doing this, and you will see patterns e.g. Some brands being smooth on bass, others not. But aside from basic advice much is listening yourself anyway.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Richard Allen said:
It does indeed work both ways. I now feel that if people need advice on a particular product they have bought or are thinking of buying then a trip to their local dealer is the order of the day.

Getting advice from the person that sells you the product has to be the most unintelligent and naive thing to do. In addition employees of HT centers are completely ignorant on all matters of electronics and psychoacoustics. Most don't even know their own product performance specs. You can have them sell carpeting the next day and it wouldn't make any difference to them whatsoever. They are just cattle herders, pushing the carousel for milking and slaughter, keeping it going.

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

Vladimir said:
Richard Allen said:

Getting advice from the person that sells you the product has to be the most unintelligent and naive thing to do. In addition employees of HT centers are completely ignorant on all matters of electronics and psychoacoustics. Most don't even know their own product performance specs. You can have them sell carpeting the next day and it wouldn't make any difference to them whatsoever. They are just cattle herders, pushing the carousel for milking and slaughter, keeping it going.

if you are smart, you take advice from the dealer, but balance it with what the manufacturer, other customers (non owners and owners) and reviews say. Then reach your own view after listening and comparing and own preferences into mix too. So to ignore a dealer who can tell you lots about a product as store staff often visit manufacturers etc, is to ignore one source of information for me. Also they can tell you what's selling.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts