Hi - fi Low- fi Whatever fi

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Pete68

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
didn't we all have more fun in our first car than our latest top of the range, SE spec'd whatever? hmmm....

(I spend all day listening to tunes on a pair of tiny logitech speakers plugged straight into the macbook)

DylanFan

Jun 18, 2013
Visit site
Following on from a comment earlier I do have a theory that once you have heard a piece of music on a decent system a few times, then playing it later in the car/van/whatever your brain fills the missing bits in, though eventually you do need a refresh - I have no proof of this but I do believe it.

Another problem is I know huge swathes of detail that I can remember are missing from tracks I listened to on my fathers decent system 40 years ago due to working in a very noisy environment for some time, by the time you can get a couple of half decent systems you are too deaf to hear them at their best.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
BigH

Just played the Shelly Manne Blackhawk Dates Vol 1 while pottering around. Initial impressions are that it is a little 'lounge' for my current tastes.

I am pretty new to 'classic' jazz and I am currently listening mostly to be-bop and 'hard-bop', so you can probably see why. Won't be forgotten though, will be revisited as my taste broadens ( hopefully) .

Any takers for the 'live at Billy Bob's Texas' recommendation I made earlier, or is country music verboten on here?

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
davedotco said:
BigH

Just played the Shelly Manne Blackhawk Dates Vol 1 while pottering around. Initial impressions are that it is a little 'lounge' for my current tastes.

I am pretty new to 'classic' jazz and I am currently listening mostly to be-bop and 'hard-bop', so you can probably see why. Won't be forgotten though, will be revisited as my taste broadens ( hopefully) .

Any takers for the 'live at Billy Bob's Texas' recommendation I made earlier, or is country music verboten on here?

Certainly not lounge, more bebop than hard bop.

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
davedotco said:

Any particular artist you could recommend, Dave? There's some 45 of them on Spotify...

EDIT: I just started with Billy Joe Shaver. Never heard of him, but nice! I'll take them one at a time. Thanks for the tip! :cheers:

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
DocG said:
davedotco said:

Any particular artist you could recommend, Dave? There's some 45 of them on Spotify...

EDIT: I just started with Billy Joe Shaver. Never heard of him, but nice! I'll take them one at a time. Thanks for the tip! :cheers:

Despite the recommendations I am really not a country music fan, mainstream 'country and western' makes me want to vomit but I have spend enough time in American bar rooms to really enjoy a bit of southern rock and roll.

Try No Justice and for a bit of fun Cross Canadian Ragweed, play loud if you can and have a long necked bottle of beer to hand.

I rather like the old 'outlaw' artists like Willie Nelson and Merle Haggard too, but that is a more 'acquired' taste.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
BigH said:
davedotco said:
BigH

Whatever you call it, it is a little 'laid back', for my taste at this time, then that is not exactly a surprise given my general preferences in rock and now jazz.

tThanks for the recommendation though, will certainly give it more of a go.

Pete68

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
davedotco said:
BigH said:
davedotco said:
BigH

Whatever you call it, it is a little 'laid back', for my taste at this time, then that is not exactly a surprise given my general preferences in rock and now jazz.

Have a go at these albums.....

Soul Station by Hank Mobely

Straight, No Chaser by Thelonious Monk

The Sidewinder by Lee Morgan

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Pete68 said:
davedotco said:
BigH said:
davedotco said:
BigH

Have a go at these albums.....

Soul Station by Hank Mobely

Straight, No Chaser by Thelonious Monk

The Sidewinder by Lee Morgan

Thanks, I have Soul Station its very good. I have heard the other 2 but not really my cup of tea.

Try Cannonbal Adderley - Somethin' Else

Wynton MArsalis - Black Codes.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Pete68 said:
Love Marsallis! His album 'Hot House Flowers' is one of my favourite albums of all time. Will check these out.

NIce album but Black Codes is a lot different. If you like 'Hot House Flowers' you may like Joshua Redman's - Walking Shadows?

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
DocG said:
davedotco said:

hi DogG

when I was demoing hi fi, last year, i've demo Epos speakers with Creek amps and the guy that was doing the demo played a CD from Chris Jones Roadhouses & automobiles, he is a country music singer, i'm not to much in country, as it is not my cup of tea, but when i left the demo i went to buy the CD!

Chris Jones is a wonderfull artist and the cd is mastered suberbly!!! It is quite an acoustic performance with a great beeeeeep bass!

:cheers:

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
davedotco said:
BigH said:
davedotco said:
BigH

Yes its a bit laid-back, good for late night listening, but maybe Joe Lovano "Quartets: Live at the Village Vanguard" would be more your thing.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Country music is like any other musical genre and obeys the 80-20 rule, ie only 20% of it is going to be worth your attention.

Just as blues is black American folk music, country is white American folk music and can be traced from it's roots via bluegrass and 'cowboy' music to the rubbish purveyed by mainstream Nashville, don't let that put you off.

Like blues, country is important in the way that it fuses with popular music, truly great bands like The Band and Grateful Dead would not have existed without country music, but then we would not have had the Eagles either so it is not all good!

Back on topic, the Live at Billy Bobs' series covers a fair range of country music, from the straight on bar room rock and roll of No Justice, the good time nonsense of Cross Canadian Ragweed to vintage 'outlaw' artists like Willie Nelson and Marty Robbins. It even includes some mainstream schlock to help you work out what is good and what isn't.

Oh, and the recordings and performances are usually pretty good too.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Not really into country music, don't like all that twang thing. I like some Alt country like Mary Chapin Carpenter, Calexico, Patty Griffin and Dolorean to name a few, also some bluegrass like Alison Krauss.

As for Chris Jones I would not really call him country. One review site called him a bit country. Yes I quite like it.

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Hi-FiOutlaw said:
hi DogG

when I was demoing hi fi, last year, i've demo Epos speakers with Creek amps and the guy that was doing the demo played a CD from Chris Jones Roadhouses & automobiles, he is a country music singer, i'm not to much in country, as it is not my cup of tea, but when i left the demo i went to buy the CD!

Chris Jones is a wonderfull artist and the cd is mastered suberbly!!! It is quite an acoustic performance with a great beeeeeep bass!

Thanks for the tip, Outlaw.

I just checked at bol.com (where I buy most of my CDs), and it sells there for €30.99. Would his music be on Spotify or sth? (Can't check myself; I' m at work :shhh: ). Would like to taste before spending this kind of money on a CD.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
BigH said:
Not really into country music, don't like all that twang thing. I like some Alt country like Mary Chapin Carpenter, Calexico, Patty Griffin and Dolorean to name a few, also some bluegrass like Alison Krauss.

As for Chris Jones I would not really call him country. One review site called him a bit country. Yes I quite like it.

Alt country is the 'new' outlaw country but really it doesn't much matter what you call it. It's not difficult to tell good music from bad if you use your own criteria.

For example I consider good bar room rock and roll to be one of mankind's greatest achievements but I know that is a very personal view.

I like artists that bring 'something' to the music, can be anything really so for example I really love Muse, who shamelessly rip off everyone under the sun yet somehow make it all their own. In contrast I have no time for Alison Krause or Mary Chapin Carpenter invariably beautifully played and sung but to me quite pointless.

Then again I rather like Dido, so there is no logic to it at all.

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
DocG said:
Hi-FiOutlaw said:
hi DogG

Thanks for the tip, Outlaw.

I just checked at bol.com (where I buy most of my CDs), and it sells there for €30.99. Would his music be on Spotify or sth? (Can't check myself; I' m at work :shhh: ). Would like to taste before spending this kind of money on a CD.

There is one in DISCOGS for 15,90€

http://www.discogs.com/buy/CD/Chris-Jones-Roadhouses-Automobiles/91407445?ev=bp_titl

:cheers:

byakuya83

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
It terms of simplicity and quality I think a personal music player and headphones is top of the pile.

I'm sure that qualifies as low-fi yet the resultant sound is anything but.

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Hi-FiOutlaw said:
DocG said:
BigH said:
He is on Spotify but not that album.

Here are some samples: http://www.elusivedisc.com/CHRIS-JONES-ROADHOUSES-AUTOMOBILES-CD/productinfo/SFCD6027/

Its on Amazon for about £13.

Cheers, BigH. The samples do give an impression of the style, and of the quality of the record. I like!

Gonna try Amazon! :cheers:

It is a nice album all through, but my favouritnis "No Sanctuary Here" my god, it really test the bass in your speakers!!!!

Its a bit of an audiophile album, on a good system you can hear crickets on the title track.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts