Hi - fi Low- fi Whatever fi

Um

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
um,

just a quick one really. Owned lots of Traditional setups , HC etc and actives over the years, and now I realise I much prefer listening to all types of music on radios, dock systems, boom boxes, iPads

Bit of weird one really but the idea of sitting down perfectly positioned in front of a stereo pair just no longer appeals..

Currently using my headphone and ipad set up and saving for a one box system.

Maybe I've lost it.

looking at the below.if interested

Um

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
http://beoplay.com/Products/BeoplayA8

http://www.ruarkaudio.com/products/r7-prpreview or maybe a Geneva product.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
People's priorities and lifestyles change. A couple of years ago I was heavily into gaming. My 360 gave up the ghost, it went away for repair, got it back 2-3 weeks later and have hardly touched it since. I love playing games, but I've just lost the will to continue to play them.

cheeseboy

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
Um said:
um,

just a quick one really. Owned lots of Traditional setups , HC etc and actives over the years, and now I realise I much prefer listening to all types of music on radios, dock systems, boom boxes, iPads

Bit of weird one really but the idea of sitting down perfectly positioned in front of a stereo pair just no longer appeals..

Maybe I've lost it.

I don't think you've lost it all, you've just remembed how to enjoy music and ignore the equipment. All I can say is :cheers: and enjoy

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Yes things change, play most of my music from Spotify now either through the computer sound system if on the computer or the hifi when not on computer.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
Um said:
um,

Maybe I've lost it.

So long as you're happy and enjoying the music who cares what you use to listen to it on? :)

I have a good quality HiFi system at home and I also have a top of the range Sony MP3 player with some very expensive earphones. Yet dispite this I still do most of my music listening using a cheap £15 portable mono speaker which I thoroughly enjoy listening to. It's all about the music. 8)

Nelly

Apr 18, 2013
Visit site
David@FrankHarvey said:
People's priorities and lifestyles change. A couple of years ago I was heavily into gaming. My 360 gave up the ghost, it went away for repair, got it back 2-3 weeks later and have hardly touched it since. I love playing games, but I've just lost the will to continue to play them.

I hear that :)

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
David@FrankHarvey said:

Glad you got over it.

Roundhead 5000

Jan 13, 2013
Visit site
I own what I consider to be a fairly decent set up, Hi fi and home cinema. Even my car - Focal speakers, Kicker sub etc, but I think the time I most enjoy my music is when I'm driving home in my Transit listening to a C.D on the standard Ford player. I believe it's because I'm not listening critically or looking for negatives in the system, what it's doing right or wrong. I'm just enjoying the music. Possibly a very expensive lesson learned :)

Um

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
Roundhead 5000 said:
I own what I consider to be a fairly decent set up, Hi fi and home cinema. Even my car - Focal speakers, Kicker sub etc, but I think the time I most enjoy my music is when I'm driving home in my Transit listening to a C.D on the standard Ford player. I believe it's because I'm not listening critically or looking for negatives in the system, what it's doing right or wrong. I'm just enjoying the music. Possibly a very expensive lesson learned :)

yup expensive lesson indeed . :wall:

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
Roundhead 5000 said:

fords do have pretty good players IMO.

i reckon the standard stereo in my 4 year old Fiesta is more enjoyable than the upgraded one in my 3 series. Maybe its the fact the BMW is an estate ?

byakuya83

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
I can relate to that, music sounds far better during my journey home. It also helps if the weather is nice!

There might be compromises with such systems but they produce a decent enough sound for most to enjoy.

The Beoplay A8 is a terrific system by the way.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
None of these posts come as a surprise, the psychology is quite clear on this.

What is more interesting is that some systems can, in my experience, frustrate the user because they tend to hint at a better level of performance than they actually deliver.

Quite difficult to explain really, it was touched on in another thread where systems only sounded good on certain 'good' recording but this lack of balance in a system manifests itself in a number of ways.

The results are that some systems frustrate their owners more than they delight them, far too common in my experience.

Um

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
byakuya83 said:
I can relate to that, music sounds far better during my journey home. It also helps if the weather is nice! There might be compromises with such systems but they produce a decent enough sound for most to enjoy. The Beoplay A8 is a terrific system by the way.

I've been loitering around it for a while now! Like a bad smell....I think it's great. If An alll in one B and O was system was good enough for my grandad then it is for me to.

Roundhead 5000

Jan 13, 2013
Visit site
davedotco said:

What is more interesting is that some systems can, in my experience, frustrate the user because they tend to hint at a better level of performance than they actually deliver.

Quite difficult to explain really, it was touched on in another thread where systems only sounded good on certain 'good' recording but this lack of balance in a system manifests itself in a number of ways.

The results are that some systems frustrate their owners more than they delight them, far too common in my experience.

+1

Part of my problem is I listen to a lot of indie/punk/rock etc which is in the main badly produced and maybe compressed etc. I don't want to listen to 'love over gold' or something similar everyday just so I can tell myself my system sounds good. Obviously in my van none of this matters. I have however had the experience of enjoying something on my way home, and thinking I'll put that on when I get in, only to be dissapointed when listening on my main system. Not so much nowadays, my Lavardin/Spendor combination seems to filter out the harshness while still being dynamic and musical. But all I've really done is come full circle from my first proper system of Arcam alpha 9/ 9P and Mission 752s. Which I loved.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing :)

Roundhead 5000

Jan 13, 2013
Visit site
Roundhead 5000 said:
davedotco said:

+1

Part of my problem is I listen to a lot of indie/punk/rock etc which is in the main badly produced and maybe compressed etc. I don't want to listen to 'love over gold' or something similar everyday just so I can tell myself my system sounds good. Obviously in my van none of this matters. I have however had the experience of enjoying something on my way home, and thinking I'll put that on when I get in, only to be dissapointed when listening on my main system. Not so much nowadays, my Lavardin/Spendor combination seems to filter out the harshness while still being dynamic and musical. But all I've really done is come full circle from my first proper system of Arcam alpha 9/ 9P and Mission 752s. Which I loved.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing :)

Saying that I've just had a demo of the Moon 650d CDP and I really liked it, and will probably buy it. My Marantz is getting on a bit now. Nothing like contradicting yourself eh?

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Roundhead 5000 said:
Saying that I've just had a demo of the Moon 650d CDP and I really liked it, and will probably buy it. My Marantz is getting on a bit now. Nothing like contradicting yourself eh?

How much are they in the UK?

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Roundhead -

i think the key is finding a system that works for you, it can be at any level.

I have spoken, in a other thread, about an inexpensive system (Dual 504, Nagaoka, NAD3020, AR18s) that worked consistently well and was hugely enjoyable and the cost was extremely modest, even at today's proces we are still looking a just a few hundred pounds. I enjoyed that system immensely.

I have also mentioned my 'best' system, SME20A, Koetsu and Kiselki cartridges, ARC valve phono stage, preamp and solid state power amp and Martim Logan full range electrostatics with REL subwoofers.

This was an attempt to emulate, at much lower cost, the best system I ever heard (at a large house on Wimbledon Parkside) involving Martin Logan Statement speakers. On occasion my system could sound quite close to the Statement system but mostly was a long way off and as such deeply frustrating. I played and tweaked the system for a while but it simply did not really work for me with any kind of consistency so in the end it got moved on.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts