Hi - fi Low- fi Whatever fi

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

matthewpiano

At present, after lots of much more expensive kit, I'm using the Denon RCD-M39DAB and I'm constantly surprised by how much I'm actually just enjoying the music. With the Q 2020i speakers it makes a really nice sound across the vast range of music we listen to, and we're actually listening to more of our music more of the time.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Andrew17321 said:
All the musicians that I know, some of whom have top quality grand pianos or other musical instruments, have LoFi music players. What do you make of that?

Andrew

They are too busy hearing the real thing, to worry.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Andrew17321 said:
All the musicians that I know, some of whom have top quality grand pianos or other musical instruments, have LoFi music players. What do you make of that?

Andrew

They are too busy hearing the real thing, to worry.

No, in this case I think something else is happening.

It is not a question of hearing the real thing as you put it, but of musicians hearing the music in their head that is the issue. Only the most basic 'clues' are needed and their brain does the rest, I have seen this many times.

On the odd occasion that I have supplied proper systems to professional musicians they have been some of the most difficult customers I have ever had to deal with, conventional hi-fi, even pretty good hi-fi, rarely seems to do the job.

Roundhead 5000

Jan 13, 2013
Visit site
BigH said:
Roundhead 5000 said:
Saying that I've just had a demo of the Moon 650d CDP and I really liked it, and will probably buy it. My Marantz is getting on a bit now. Nothing like contradicting yourself eh?

How much are they in the UK?

Sorry, missed your post, I was off enjoying some music ha ha...I've been quoted around £7,000.00. I was looking at the Wadias but they're a bit out of my price range at the moment. If anyone would like to recommend anything at or near this price, feel free. The Moon has the dac and all the other gubbins for when I decide to start getting into streaming, although the streaming module from Moon is about a grand or so on top.

Roundhead 5000

Jan 13, 2013
Visit site
davedotco said:
Roundhead -

i think the key is finding a system that works for you, it can be at any level.

I have spoken, in a other thread, about an inexpensive system (Dual 504, Nagaoka, NAD3020, AR18s) that worked consistently well and was hugely enjoyable and the cost was extremely modest, even at today's proces we are still looking a just a few hundred pounds. I enjoyed that system immensely.

I have also mentioned my 'best' system, SME20A, Koetsu and Kiselki cartridges, ARC valve phono stage, preamp and solid state power amp and Martim Logan full range electrostatics with REL subwoofers.

This was an attempt to emulate, at much lower cost, the best system I ever heard (at a large house on Wimbledon Parkside) involving Martin Logan Statement speakers. On occasion my system could sound quite close to the Statement system but mostly was a long way off and as such deeply frustrating. I played and tweaked the system for a while but it simply did not really work for me with any kind of consistency so in the end it got moved on.

Yes mate, you are spot on.

I think I'm addicted to detail, the pursuit of pulling more from a disc, the way different equipment presents the ebb and flow and structures the music. But detail and musicality don't always come as a package do they? I was listening to The Stranglers- Rattus Norvegicus album yesterday and I heard little bits and bobs I'd never heard, and was grinning like an idiot. One of my favourite albums just got a little bit better. So I would say I'm pretty happy right now, and I can't really ask for more than that :)

GMK

Jan 23, 2009
Visit site
I was once asked, which is the worst mountain bike ever made? I replied, "The one that sits unused in the shed"

andyjm

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
davedotco said:
None of these posts come as a surprise, the psychology is quite clear on this.

What is more interesting is that some systems can, in my experience, frustrate the user because they tend to hint at a better level of performance than they actually deliver.

Quite difficult to explain really, it was touched on in another thread where systems only sounded good on certain 'good' recording but this lack of balance in a system manifests itself in a number of ways.

The results are that some systems frustrate their owners more than they delight them, far too common in my experience.

I find this problem a lot - one of the reasons I have stopped buying much new music. My system (squeeze transporter, Krell amplification, Martin Logan speakers) takes few prisoners, and compressed recordings really do sound terrible. I am not sure if it is system balance, or whether the system just exposes the inherent problems in the mix. A good recording from the 70s or 80s (Supertramp for example) can sound fantastic, my Wife's new Michael Buble CD sounds awful (notwithstanding the content...). I have a recent Shelby Lynne CD which sounds great, so I don't think I am locked into the previous century.

cheeseboy

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
andyjm said:
I find this problem a lot - one of the reasons I have stopped buying much new music.

not meant offensively, but that's actually quite sad that you would have a system that stops you buying music. Kind of defeats the object of it in really. :cry:

andyjm

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
cheeseboy said:
andyjm said:
I find this problem a lot - one of the reasons I have stopped buying much new music.

not meant offensively, but that's actually quite sad that you would have a system that stops you buying music. Kind of defeats the object of it in really. :cry:

Its a good point. I still buy music, just new old music not new new music - if you see what I mean.

In the loudness wars, I am definitely a casualty.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
andyjm said:
I have a recent Shelby Lynne CD which sounds great, so I don't think I am locked into the previous century.

Shelby Lynne is good, I believe her last 2 albums she produced herself on her own label, before that she was on Lost Highway a small label which is generally very good for sound quality.

Its sad in this day and age when they have all the resources that the record companies decide to compress most records to be louder rather than give us good sound quality.

cheeseboy

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
andyjm said:
Its a good point. I still buy music, just new old music not new new music - if you see what I mean.

well fingers crossed that the record companies are starting to listen to people about the stupid loudness mastering they do, it's not good for anybody and quite frankly, sucks big ones!

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
andyjm said:
My system (squeeze transporter, Krell amplification, Martin Logan speakers) takes few prisoners, and compressed recordings really do sound terrible. I am not sure if it is system balance, or whether the system just exposes the inherent problems in the mix.

I think it's the speakers. I heard the ML Ethos, driven bij Accuphase electronics. Wonderful with well recorded music - though a little harsh at higher volumes - and really unbearably awful with modern rock.

BTW, Shelby Lynne rules!

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
cheeseboy said:
andyjm said:

well fingers crossed that the record companies are starting to listen to people about the stupid loudness mastering they do, it's not good for anybody and quite frankly, sucks big ones!

They will continue to produce music that sounds good on the equipment that most people listen to it on, which nowadays means mobile phones, I-pods, car cd players, etc. If that means compression then that is what they will do.

Chris

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Covenanter said:
cheeseboy said:
andyjm said:

They will continue to produce music that sounds good on the equipment that most people listen to it on, which nowadays means mobile phones, I-pods, car cd players, etc. If that means compression then that is what they will do.

Chris

But does it sound good? They do it because it sells more apparently, loudness sells.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
BigH said:
Covenanter said:
cheeseboy said:
andyjm said:

Chris

But does it sound good? They do it because it sells more apparently, loudness sells.

The trick of course is to buy and play music that is not recorded to appeal to the hard of thinking.

If pop acts want to release recordings that are little more than a collection of ringtones then don't buy the rubbish, there are plenty of decent recordings of great music out there.

I am a great lover of live recordings, musicians, in my experience, usually put far more into performances in front of an audience thean they ever do in the studio. OK, sweeping statement I know but it works for me most of the time.

Recently I have been working through a series of albums 'Live at Billy Bob's Texas' and for those occasions when bar room rock and roll does not quite hit the spot I go for some Art Pepper, live at Ronnie Scott's, a venue I know well.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
davedotco said:
Recently I have been working through a series of albums 'Live at Billy Bob's Texas' and for those occasions when bar room rock and roll does not quite hit the spot I go for some Art Pepper, live at Ronnie Scott's, a venue I know well.

Art Pepper is on eof my favourites. But my favourite live jazz album is Shelley Manne at the Blackhawk Vol 1-5. Quite an old recording.

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
cheeseboy said:
andyjm said:

I've posted this before, but hopefully the following link contains some info about a loudness standard being implemented for radio which might lead to an end to the 'loudness wars'. Fingers crossed anyway. Clicky

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Craig M. said:
cheeseboy said:
andyjm said:

I've posted this before, but hopefully the following link contains some info about a loudness standard being implemented for radio which might lead to an end to the 'loudness wars'. Fingers crossed anyway. Clicky

Not much support for it, only 1,600 since last Nov.

byakuya83

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
Roundhead 5000 said:
Yes mate, you are spot on.

I think I'm addicted to detail, the pursuit of pulling more from a disc, the way different equipment presents the ebb and flow and structures the music. But detail and musicality don't always come as a package do they? I was listening to The Stranglers- Rattus Norvegicus album yesterday and I heard little bits and bobs I'd never heard, and was grinning like an idiot. One of my favourite albums just got a little bit better. So I would say I'm pretty happy right now, and I can't really ask for more than that :)

You should watch Ethan Winer's audio myths talk on Youtube. It's very interesting and explains how we hear music. Helps to explain what you experienced with regard hearing things you hadn't noticed before.

Going back to the original post, I really don't like the Ruark's design. I would definitely opt for the A8 or A9, the latter is extremely powerful for what appears to be an elegant piece of furniture.

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
BigH said:
Craig M. said:
cheeseboy said:
andyjm said:

Not much support for it, only 1,600 since last Nov.

I was referring to the first reply from Hugh Robjohns. The op of that thread is barking up the wrong tree, imo, and with numbers like that the record industry aren't going to take a blind bit of notice. The only hope is that a loudness standard being imposed on them will lead to a change.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
BigH said:
davedotco said:

Art Pepper is on eof my favourites. But my favourite live jazz album is Shelley Manne at the Blackhawk Vol 1-5. Quite an old recording.

I take my music recommendations where I find them, the Art Pepper stuff comes from a detective friend of mine, Hieronymus (Harry) Bosch.

Not the finest recording I have heard but not bad, the 'feel' is tremendous as is some of the playing.

Spotify list 'the Blackhawk Dates' vol 1-4, is that the stuff? I'll give it a go.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
davedotco said:
Spotify list 'the Blackhawk Dates' vol 1-4, is that the stuff? I'll give it a go.

Yes thats the one I think. Vol. 2 is my fav.

I take it the Art Pepper is Blues for the Fisherman? If so its meant to be a good recording, done by Mole Jazz.

Another good live jazz album is Bill Evans Waltz for Debby..

TRENDING THREADS