Hear how Mains Conditioning Improves your Hifi

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

TrevC

DomCheetham said:
Gaz37 said:
DomCheetham said:
I'f you don't go and listen, you will never know! *unknw*

I've never jumped off a tall building to see if I can fly, science pretty much proves that I can't so there's little point in finding out for myself.

Similar principle.

I don't think that's a safe thing to do, trying an IsoTek mains conditioner/ regenerator thingy won't kill you!

It might if it was dropped on you from a high building, but if you did do that at least you haven't lost anything in terms of performance.

TrevC

ellisdj said:
Life is too short to listen to a sound that could have been much better than it is.

That's how I look at it. Day someone proves to a system can sound no better with products like this in I may change my mind so far noone has done it including systems costing over £100k

Edit I would like to try a Genesis one but I have just laid out a huge cash lump on a 4k pj screen and infrastructure for it so pockets are very empty

Try an Exodus. That's the empty space that would have had the Genesis in it.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
TrevC said:
Try an Exodus. That's the empty space that would have had the Genesis in it.

Sorry what did you say?

18485898.jpg

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
TrevC said:
Andrewjvt said:
ellisdj said:
Life is too short to listen to a sound that could have been much better than it is.

That's how I look at it. Day someone proves to a system can sound no better with products like this in I may change my mind so far noone has done it including systems costing over £100k

Edit I would like to try a Genesis one but I have just laid out a huge cash lump on a 4k pj screen and infrastructure for it so pockets are very empty

what was the system that cost over £100k that you tested?

It was a probably a £1000 system with £99,000 pounds spent on foo from Isotek.

lol

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
ellisdj said:

Quality !! Thats the post of the year - I think WHF should do a forum post of the year award - you get my vote :)

someone giving you support has made you happy?

Trev is not a troll he just says what he thinks and stands by what he believes in. someone that does not agree with you is not a troll

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
BigH said:
ellisdj said:
BigH said:
You seem to be contradicting yourself. 

Sorry BigH - I didnt mean to - in what way?

Well you said people should go and hear these Isoteks and now you said life is too short to try to see if something is better.
Unless someone edited it in jest I said the opposite mate.

I think getting the next level of sound quality doesn't always come from the next speakers up or the next amp In the range.
I believe the reason people think laws of diminshing returns exist is because they are upgrading the wrong thing and the weak links in the chain are holding things back. So if the system infrastructure is good and getting the best from the existing then it makes sense to upgrade the kit - obviously within reason

stefanom

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
No, it doesn't make me happy.... I am already happy.

I am sorry if anyone is offended. This is just a stupid joke.

But everytime I go in here there are replies by TrevC on everything, often in a negative way to contradics others opinions.

But enough of this.....over and out.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
ellisdj said:
BigH said:
ellisdj said:
BigH said:
You seem to be contradicting yourself.

Sorry BigH - I didnt mean to - in what way?

Well you said people should go and hear these Isoteks and now you said life is too short to try to see if something is better.
Unless someone edited it in jest I said the opposite mate.

I think getting the next level of sound quality doesn't always come from the next speakers up or the next amp In the range. I believe the reason people think laws of diminshing returns exist is because they are upgrading the wrong thing and the weak links in the chain are holding things back. So if the system infrastructure is good and getting the best from the existing then it makes sense to upgrade the kit - obviously within reason

Maybe I misunderstood but you said "Life is too short to listen to a sound that could have been much better than it is."

TrevC

stefanom said:
No, it doesn't make me happy.... I am already happy.

I am sorry if anyone is offended. This is just a stupid joke.

But everytime I go in here there are replies by TrevC on everything, often in a negative way to contradics others opinions.

But enough of this.....over and out.

That's not true!

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
If you open the box of most electronics and most things for that matter how much do the bits cost compared to the price you pay for someone making it for you.
This is nothing new TrevC at all in fact it's totally irrelevant.

If you can make your own then you would obviously do it. However everyone has a putchasing choice but if they want it they have to pay for it same as anything else

TrevC

ellisdj said:
If you open the box of most electronics and most things for that matter how much do the bits cost compared to the price you pay for someone making it for you. This is nothing new TrevC at all in fact it's totally irrelevant.

If you can make your own then you would obviously do it. However everyone has a putchasing choice but if they want it they have to pay for it same as anything else

My Sony budget effort. It doesn't look much, but it was a WHF 5 star.

033570583.jpg

If I tried to make it from the parts it would cost twice as much. It even has a motorised volume control with remote.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
TrevC said:
ellisdj said:
If you open the box of most electronics and most things for that matter how much do the bits cost compared to the price you pay for someone making it for you. This is nothing new TrevC at all in fact it's totally irrelevant.

My Sony budget effort. It doesn't look much, but it was a WHF 5 star. 

If I tried to make it from the parts it would cost twice as much. It even has a motorised volume control with remote. 

How much did the bits cost and what % more did it sell for?

Advertising costs money but so does small scale production.
So does going to dealer after dealer around demoing your products so people can hear them for free, as does hifi shows. It's a business it has to make money.
I bet nobody minds paying all the people that designed made packaged and delivered all their prize possessions

I bet if apple announced how much it costs to make an iPhone it could be pennies and I bet they wouldn't sell 1 less

spiny norman

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
ellisdj said:
I bet if apple announced how much it costs to make an iPhone it could be pennies and I bet they wouldn't sell 1 less

The last teardown feature I read suggested around $230 (parts and labour) to build an iPhone 6S, and about $15 more for the 6 Plus. Labour (assembly and testing) accounted for about $11 of that total on each model.

US prices for contract-free iPhones seem to be around $600 and up (depending on storage capacity) for a 6S, and around $650 upwards for a Plus, although of course prices fall when they are 'subsidised' as part of an airtime comtract. A 128GB model is $100-$150 more than the same model with 16GB of storage, which proves that in Appleworld memory isn't cheap as chips.

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
ellisdj said:
A very big steinway system I mean very big.

Also not long ago a system well over £100k comprising £30k ish each dac valve power amps etc. That imaged on one song like I have never heard before but the rest was way below par for the money. Bass was horrendous.

Bass on the steinway was insane as was the scale of sound like nothing I have ever heard before or likely to hear again unless I hear that again
The Steinway Lyngdorf Model D looks like a pretty good system.

Open baffle bass can be good.

There's every chance the same level of bass quality and overall fidelity can be had for a lot less than £100k.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
lindsayt said:
ellisdj said:
A very big steinway system I mean very big.

Also not long ago a system well over £100k comprising £30k ish each dac valve power amps etc. That imaged on one song like I have never heard before but the rest was way below par for the money. Bass was horrendous.

Bass on the steinway was insane as was the scale of sound like nothing I have ever heard before or likely to hear again unless I hear that again
The Steinway Lyngdorf Model D looks like a pretty good system.

Open baffle bass can be good.

There's every chance the same level of bass quality and overall fidelity can be had for a lot less than £100k.
The model d does do surprisingly good bass. To achieve better bass from conventional hifi speakers would require a big effort made to the room which at that investment level you would expect the owner to do this.

However it's not the model d system I am referring to

Most hifi systems I have heard in many locations bass is always the weakest link steinway has always been excellent bass

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
Which Steinway Lyngdorf were you refering to?

Some speaker room combinations sound world class in the bass department with minimal effort from their owners.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
lindsayt said:
Which Steinway Lyngdorf were you refering to?

Some speaker room combinations sound world class in the bass department with minimal effort from their owners.

Hi LindseyT I am sure they do mate I have not heard one yet.

I think the system was iw66 speakers and 16 sub woofers. Name could be wrong. Amazing scale of sound

This trail of conversation is going from original point which was I am yet to hear a system that is so perfect it couldn't be improved in some ways that includes uber quality / expense.
I can't say categorically what would do what to what system but I know if I was an owner I would be looking to try things out and not rule anything out in trying to achieve that perfection I would be looking for.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts