Mains products - How far should you take it?

Dan Turner

Jul 9, 2007
Visit site
Having got things pretty much where I want them on the component and accessories front, my attention is turning to the mains conditioning products on the market, and I'm finding it hard to judge what if anything I should spend, which manufacturer to go for, and who's claims to believe.

My system is Arcam CD37/A32/P35, PMC TB2+, Chord Chorus 2 interconnects, Van Damme LC-OFC 6mm speaker cable, Atacama AV rack, and Partington Super Dreadnought speaker stands.

I already have Russ Andrews mains cables (a classic on my CD and 2* Powermax on my amps) and an Olsen 8 way mains extension block (c. £100), which also serves my HC system.

I did notice a difference when I first got the Olsen several years ago, a small improvement in clarity and reduction of 'grunge'. The RA mains cables cumulatively also give a subtle increase in bass clarity and 3 dimensionality. However what makes me think about looking further in to this is that I can still notice a distinct difference in sound quality at different times of the day, (although less than it used to be), and the general consensus seems to be that this phenomenon is due to mains quality being affected by the load on the grid and inteference deposited by the things connected to it, both within and beyond one's property.

The problem is like anything in HiFi - who's claims to believe....I was looking at the Isotek Sirius. However I am intending to connect both HiFi and HC components to it and I've seen other Isotek mains products claiming to be tailored for AV use with different properties - so would one product not fit the bill for both? (Annoying because I only have one available wall socket and not much space behind my rack - any detrimental effect of 'daisy-chaining mains extensions?) Some Isotek products have dedicated sockets for 'high-current' devices, but not enough for my system annoyingly.

Then you have Russ Andrews, who don't differentiate between the characteristics required to serve HiFi and AV uses, or offer dedicated 'high-current' sockets (and would be different about a high-current socket anyway, they're all connected to the same mains?!), but generally just claim that their products are the best. And the little pseudo-scientific graphs comparing the subjective qualities of the different products in the RA range just make me deeply sceptical.

Some of these products cost as much as high end HiFi components in their own right. Also it doesn't stop at mains cables or mains conditioning extension blocks - apparently you can get better wall and IEC plugs that can improve the sound, and Russ Andrews even sell the wall sockets themselves, and special mains wire to re-wire your house......Now I like to think I'm fairly open minded, and I can get about as far as believing that a woven mains cable will have the benefit of rejecting radio frequency inteference, and that a thick cross section of high quality copper will reduce resistance, because that all has a sound scientific basis, and filtering/conditioning the mains supply so that you have a rock-solid 230v at 50 Hz also seems to make sense to me and aligns with my experiences of varying sound quality varying through the day. But if you start upgrading your IEC plugs and you wall sockets, really, where do you stop?

I think I could countenance a spend of about £250 for an 8 way mains block if it I believed that it would really make a significant difference and eliminate the variation in mains quality throughout the day.

Any thoughts, experiences or recommendations.....?

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
I'm not sure that a £250 conditioner would add much to what you have, you would need to go for the Substation or above really to make it worthwhile.

A

Anonymous

See if you can get a home demonstration/loan to make sure your getting the benefit that suits your budget!

I was interested inÿupgradingÿmains leads and some sort of filter block for my system, and settled on an expensive but fantastic VertexAQ taga mains block. ÿIt contains a passive shunt filter system, acousticÿabsorptionÿmatrix and has 6 sockets. ÿIt's not cheap, but the performance improvements are fantastic. ÿIt cost more than my initial budget suggested, but appears a far better upgrade than similar products that I tried from isotek and Russ Andrews.

Dan Turner

Jul 9, 2007
Visit site
Mmmmmmm. The Isotek substation option is rather more than I'd want to spend on this sort of product, and the Tacima would probably be more of a sideways step. What sort of money for the Vertex Griffy?

Maybe a home trial of the options around £250 is the way to go, and then if there isn't an improvement, I'll just stick with what I have.

A

Anonymous

Dan Turner:
Mmmmmmm. The Isotek substation option is rather more than I'd want to spend on this sort of product, and the Tacima would probably be more of a sideways step. What sort of money for the Vertex Griffy?

Maybe a home trial of the options around £250 is the way to go, and then if there isn't an improvement, I'll just stick with what I have.

Vertex.......http://www.vertexaq.com/index.php?option=com_products&page=categories&catid=7&Itemid=0

Lokks like its more than you have to spend

A

Anonymous

Morning Dan

With what you have already (Russ Andrews mains cables and a Olsen block) don't see any real improvements on using replacement products here.

This is similer to what I am running, (my mains block is a Tacima + Russ Andrews) However I run my system off a 40A solid wired dedicated spur on circuit breakers. (No Fuses)
Thought that was as far as I could go, both the sonic and visual improvements were excellent.

Now for the interesting discovery, many know of the benefits of running the power supply (PSX units) well away from Pre Amps and other signal paths.
But I have just found the same sort of difference by buying a Mains Conditioning Unit which consists of a large Transformer (which totally cancels out RFI) along with some big capacitors (for smoothing) plus some other smaller components. My AV equipment runs cooler now as well.
I now have a totally clean and stable power supply.

I mainaged to pick up a BT one off E Bay, I think you will need something similer with a big transformer and a large enough ampage to run your power off.

Then you should be sorted. ;-)

TRENDING THREADS