Hear how Mains Conditioning Improves your Hifi

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
I came across this while looking for something else.

I am a big advocate of the importance of mains products - for those who dont belive it go and listen and see if you hear any differences and be proven right or wrong

647db66b-eb92-4833-9ed0-44e91c87e75b.jpg

Forgot to add this - More Details Here

There will be exclusive offers and deals for attendees over the two days! Plus all visitors can claim a FREE 10% OFF Hi-Fi discount voucher.

I have heard their demos a few years ago, at the Bristol Show, I think. It was pretty persuasive.

Unfortunately, I think it can be quite easy to persuade a group of Hifi buffs that something like this works, whether or not it really does. Actually, in the hotel environment I'm sure it can and does clean up the mains, which must be polluted with all manner of nasties - what with dozens of other rooms competing for the supply.

Whether one actually benefits at home is less obvious. It might clean the mains, measurably, but does that translate to a more musical or accurate sound? I'm not sure!

TrevC

ellisdj said:
I came across this while looking for something else.

I am a big advocate of the importance of mains products - for those who dont belive it go and listen and see if you hear any differences and be proven right or wrong

Forgot to add this - More Details Here

There will be exclusive offers and deals for attendees over the two days! Plus all visitors can claim a FREE 10% OFF Hi-Fi discount voucher.

Fortunately mains conditioning can't have any effect on performance, so you can therefore confidently save 100% and time and effort simply by not going to the demo and not buying one.

NSA_watch_my_toilet

Aug 24, 2013
Visit site
The theme of the power devices is a large one. In some countries, or in some specific situations, it can be useful. Had many cases where I had sound problems (hums), and, in those times, I used a professional current filter from Furman (120£). It worked and the hums and cracks that came through where banned. But, for european conditions, this is extremely rare. I had a factory with pretty current noisy machinery that was linked to my power installation. So, in this case, it has a use.

Some reported problems when having some solar pannels, or some giant radio broadcast antenna on the roof of their building.

Generally, many indian users are saying it improves the sound, but they have very catastrophic user conditions with very unstable current.

In many european houses, this should not be necessary.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
nopiano said:
I have heard their demos a few years ago, at the Bristol Show, I think. It was pretty persuasive.

Unfortunately, I think it can be quite easy to persuade a group of Hifi buffs that something like this works, whether or not it really does. Actually, in the hotel environment I'm sure it can and does clean up the mains, which must be polluted with all manner of nasties - what with dozens of other rooms competing for the supply.

Whether one actually benefits at home is less obvious. It might clean the mains, measurably, but does that translate to a more musical or accurate sound? I'm not sure!

I have related on several occasions my experience with poor quality sound in my room at a hi-fi show.

The system in place was a very decent and 'musical' sounding setup of modest, by show standards, cost. I had been playing it to dealers and reviewers for a couple of months so had a good appreciation of its qualities.

Set up in the usual way and using discs that I knew, the sound had a strange 'griity' almost 'fractured' quality to it, something I had never heard from this setup before. I did the usual things, adjusted supports, speaker stands etc, so that everything was tight and rigid and adjusted the speakers. Some slight improvement but the essential 'fractured' quality remained, my non technical MD though it sounded 'sh!t'.

Eventually, in some desperation, I borrowed an Isotek filter. It was a modular unit containing a couple of units designed to filter out of band noise, predominantly RF and another couple of modules that featured choke type filters. This was some time ago so details are a bit hazy, but the lower powered modules were used to power the CD and SACD and one of the higher power modules was used on the modestly powered integrated amp. Entry level screened mains leads (from Isotek) were used throughout.

The change was immediate and noticeable, the system now sounded as I expected with none of the nasty qualities mentioned above. Removing the power unit and plugging everything back into a normal 4 way block and the nastyness returned, so I refitted the Isotek and called my MD who pronounced the results to now be 'excellent'.

This was in no way a scientific experiment, other factors could well have been involved, but the following day I swapped out the power supply in a dem to a couple of trade colleagues with similar results, they knew I was changing something to do with the power but did not know what or in what sequence, the changes were made behind a display unit which hid the power unit.

That said, I did try the same power unit in our showroom with no noticeable effect, but then the system sounded fine just plugged into the wall. Make of that what you will.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
I agree with Dave, it can benefit in certain circumstances, going all the way to Southampton won't prove it will work in your home. I don't seem to suffer from mains problems so I will save my money, Southampton is a hell of a way to go anyway.

BigH said:
I agree with Dave, it can benefit in certain circumstances, going all the way to Southampton won't prove it will work in your home. I don't seem to suffer from mains problems so I will save my money, Southampton is a hell of a way to go anyway.

I can perhaps understand that a very stable noise free power supply might benefit something like a sensitive phono preamp, I cannot however see this being that beneficial to a stinking great power amp however crappy your power supply may be.

If I had the money Isotek are asking for their stuff I would just buy a better amp.

TrevC

davedotco said:
nopiano said:

I have related on several occasions my experience with poor quality sound in my room at a hi-fi show.

The system in place was a very decent and 'musical' sounding setup of modest, by show standards, cost. I had been playing it to dealers and reviewers for a couple of months so had a good appreciation of its qualities.

Set up in the usual way and using discs that I knew, the sound had a strange 'griity' almost 'fractured' quality to it, something I had never heard from this setup before. I did the usual things, adjusted supports, speaker stands etc, so that everything was tight and rigid and adjusted the speakers. Some slight improvement but the essential 'fractured' quality remained, my non technical MD though it sounded 'sh!t'.

Eventually, in some desperation, I borrowed an Isotek filter. It was a modular unit containing a couple of units designed to filter out of band noise, predominantly RF and another couple of modules that featured choke type filters. This was some time ago so details are a bit hazy, but the lower powered modules were used to power the CD and SACD and one of the higher power modules was used on the modestly powered integrated amp. Entry level screened mains leads (from Isotek) were used throughout.

The change was immediate and noticeable, the system now sounded as I expected with none of the nasty qualities mentioned above. Removing the power unit and plugging everything back into a normal 4 way block and the nastyness returned, so I refitted the Isotek and called my MD who pronounced the results to now be 'excellent'.

This was in no way a scientific experiment, other factors could well have been involved, but the following day I swapped out the power supply in a dem to a couple of trade colleagues with similar results, they knew I was changing something to do with the power but did not know what or in what sequence, the changes were made behind a display unit which hid the power unit.

That said, I did try the same power unit in our showroom with no noticeable effect, but then the system sounded fine just plugged into the wall. Make of that what you will.

A good well designed amplifier will perform equally well with loads of mains interference present while a poorly designed one might try to amplify any RF nasties present on the mains, causing distortion. It would also click and pop when a fridge goes on or off, for example. My budget Sony is excellent in that regard. Rather than waste money on mains nonsense get a well designed interference immune amplifier.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
There is a free opportunity to go and listen for people here - not just to the conditoners to all the kit of demo - PMC speakers etc. Get a 10% off voucher and a free prize draw of products to sell on ebay if you dont want them . What more do you want. I would like to go myself top hear the new Genesis One but dont think I can.

If its miles away thats different, I am sure there will be more in the future - not advertised that well, I just stumbled upon it.

What a great opporutnity to go and say they put ££££ of mains conditoners in and it sounded no different as expected

The opposite is true - how confident must Isotek be to do this - they do this all round the world. The mains quality must be different in all the countries they demo in and yet they still demo the same products.

The buyer then demo's at home with a return policy - but I doubt many go back.

TrevC

ellisdj said:
There is a free opportunity to go and listen for people here - not just to the conditoners to all the kit of demo - PMC speakers etc. Get a 10% off voucher and a free prize draw of products to sell on ebay if you dont want them . What more do you want. I would like to go myself top hear the new Genesis One but dont think I can.

If its miles away thats different, I am sure there will be more in the future - not advertised that well, I just stumbled upon it.

What a great opporutnity to go and say they put ££££ of mains conditoners in and it sounded no different as expected

The opposite is true - how confident must Isotek be to do this - they do this all round the world. The mains quality must be different in all the countries they demo in and yet they still demo the same products.

Isotek went bust in 2008 and that leaflet looks quite old. Are you sure it isn't a flashback?

TrevC said:
ellisdj said:

Isotek went bust in 2008 and that leaflet looks quite old. Are you sure it isn't a flashback?

If they went bust in 2008 I find it highly amazing they have brought out so many products since.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Al ears said:
If they went bust in 2008 I find it highly amazing they have brought out so many products since. 
Their products were being used in The Northern Ireland Audio Show (Belfast) in 2010....probably was imagining it, though.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Al ears said:
TrevC said:
ellisdj said:

The company (Activ) that owned Isotek did go bankrupt in 2009, Isotek was then taken over by Filtonic in 2010.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
TrevC said:
davedotco said:
nopiano said:

A good well designed amplifier will perform equally well with loads of mains interference present while a poorly designed one might try to amplify any RF nasties present on the mains, causing distortion. It would also click and pop when a fridge goes on or off, for example. My budget Sony is excellent in that regard. Rather than waste money on mains nonsense get a well designed interference immune amplifier.

I found this experience to be unusual in that the show was the only occasion I heard the system sound the way I described. Prior to the show I had set up the same system literally dozens of times, in people's homes, reviewers in the main, the occasional dealer and umpteen dealers dem rooms.

On no occasion did it sound the way it did at the show and the mains units did seem to do the job. I understand what you say about compedent design, but the design was perfectly 'competent' in all situations bar the hi-fi show. Is it at all possible that the show environment was a 'step too far'?

Romulus

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
Hi Fi can be a wonderful and strange world. I remember a similar 'new kid on the block' many years ago which was called Mana Acoustics ( HiFi racks, tables etc..) I believe Mana Acoustics tried to do business with HiFi dealers but no joy, so the firm sold directly to the customer with I believe 'no satisfaction money back clause in their general contracts. Their reputation spread quite virulently by word of mouth and experience to the degree that many known reviewers praised them and even acquired the racks/tables for their HiFi systems. I remember seeing photos of other peoples HiFi literally stacked layer upon layer of those Mana racks quite purposefully for the sole purpose of acquiring that 'sonic sound'. The HiFi systems often looked like cities (New York tower blocks) in steel girders. Most of the HiFi I saw were usually Naim black boxes together with the one and only Linn Sondek Turntables. As to plethora of reviews on the Mana components the common denominator terms were - Inky blank silences, with in your room musicians. As far as I can remember one review was in regard to the specific Mana table used for turntable and the music in question played from Lp was some form of Gospel music recorded in a church somewhere in one of the Southern states of America and the reviewer proclaimed his total awe and reverance of the recording because he actually 'felt the humidity of the indoors of the church'. I thought wow..! A Mana turntable can do that..? Thats quite a sonic achievement (or something else achievement). There were meticulous instructions how to put the Mana racks together, Allen screws, spikes and a leveller but nobody could inform or provide specifically what the Mana component was actually made of? The consensus among users and reviewers was that the rack consisted of steel and glass. I remember reading somewhere (perhaps from the Mana Acoustic website) that it was created by accident which involved a motorcycle messenger and the sonic effects of glass & steel. Users on forums all hailed the Mana sonic effects used with their HiFi but all moaned as to the dust the racks attracted... And then Mana Acoustics sort of stopped existing... I wonder if there are still HiFi systems existing in people's homes which are stacked into towers of steel girders, layers upon layer of Mana racks!

andyjm

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
TrevC said:
Fortunately mains conditioning can't have any effect on performance, so you can therefore confidently save 100% and time and effort simply by not going to the demo and not buying one.

To be fair (and I preface my comments on mains conditioners with 'in a domestic environment'), the mains at home in the UK is generally excellent. It has been getting noisier with the spread of switching supplies, CFL lamps and dimmers, but the RF produced can easily be handled by a few components in the amp. There really is no point in buying a conditioner in the UK.

The same may not be true in less developed countries. Large DC offsets, circuits shared between domestic and industrial users and generally unstable supply voltages could all benefit from a mains regenerator. This isn't some fancy cable but a device similar to a UPS that generates its own AC mains from scratch using switching technology to produce clean, properly shaped AC waveforms.

TrevC

andyjm said:
TrevC said:

To be fair (and I preface my comments on mains conditioners with 'in a domestic environment'), the mains at home in the UK is generally excellent. It has been getting noisier with the spread of switching supplies, CFL lamps and dimmers, but the RF produced can easily be handled by a few components in the amp. There really is no point in buying a conditioner in the UK.

The same may not be true in less developed countries. Large DC offsets, circuits shared between domestic and industrial users and generally unstable supply voltages could all benefit from a mains regenerator. This isn't some fancy cable but a device similar to a UPS that generates its own AC mains from scratch using switching technology to produce clean, properly shaped AC waveforms.

It depends which model you are talking about. Some are just aluminium technical looking lumps with sockets, RF filters and anti-surge, I don't think they even have DC blockers built in. Isotek are heavily into foo, they sell pointless expensive mains lead nonsense. This CD is a peach and indicates how full of carp they are. Burn in and demagnetise tracks included folks, step right up!

http://www.futureshop.co.uk/isotek-high-resolution-full-system-enhancer-p-6794.html?osCsid=783jbntgdl8dnqlgfj3hip33e6

TrevC said:
andyjm said:
TrevC said:

It depends which model you are talking about. Some are just aluminium technical looking lumps with sockets, RF filters and anti-surge, I don't think they even have DC blockers built in. Isotek are heavily into foo, they sell pointless expensive mains lead nonsense. This CD is a peach and indicates how full of carp they are. Burn in and demagnetise tracks included folks, step right up!

http://www.futureshop.co.uk/isotek-high-resolution-full-system-enhancer-p-6794.html?osCsid=783jbntgdl8dnqlgfj3hip33e6

Quite so. If you can demagnetise your system from a CD you're a magician. I wonder if it comes as a digital download ;-)

F

FunkyMonkey

I have a "serpent balm" sale in my garage next week.

£5 entrance fee but all products free thereafter.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Still noone posting on here saying that are actually going listen to this free demo opportunity so they can feedback what they experience, I would genuinely like to know some feedback, especially on the Genesis One performance. Must be someone local who is going?

Instead - Just the usual troll from the same people / person thats not needed for umpteenth time, noone really cares what you think TrevC - I think you have laid your system cards experience on the table and they are pretty limited in my eyes.

So while your opinions are freely yours and fair play to you for making them again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again - noone cares and all your doing is trolling and ruining good threads. Where is the shock in that I suppose on this forum.

TrevC

ellisdj said:
Still noone posting on here saying that are actually going listen to this free demo opportunity so they can feedback what they experience, I would genuinely like to know some feedback, especially on the Genesis One performance. Must be someone local who is going?

Instead - Just the usual troll from the same people / person thats not needed for umpteenth time, noone really cares what you think TrevC - I think you have laid your system cards experience on the table and they are pretty limited in my eyes.

So while your opinions are freely yours and fair play to you for making them again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again - noone cares and all your doing is trolling and ruining good threads. Where is the shock in that I suppose on this forum.

Trolling? Not me. Merely calling a spade a spade.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Your not though - once is calling it a spade relentless comments that are not in argument with anyone else is trolling.

Are you going to this demo?

Will you go to another demo if it is closer to home?

Would or have you tried one of these Isotek products in your own system? Feedback on this

These are the only comments people want to read from you in this type of thread - so far your comments are none of the above so what you said in this thread is Pure Trolling

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts