Hear how Mains Conditioning Improves your Hifi

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

TrevC

ellisdj said:
Wow English lesson thanks guys - who do you think you pair are to post like that - honestly you wouldn't say it someone's face because it's rude and I bet your not rude people in real life. It reads as bitterness btw not sure what about tbh no need for it

Either way your head is in the sand if you think you have no noise in your system just because you don't hear any pops or crackles when you turn it up.

That darned imaginary noise, if only I could afford a wired in big half empty metal box to put it in my life would be complete.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
TrevC said:
Clearly a typo, not a sign of wilful ignorance.
Clearly.

The whooshing noise you hear, is the point that you have just missed, skimming over your head. Hint....the wink should have given the game away.

radiorog

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
TomSawyer said:
radiorog said:
From my experience, people who are rude enough to pick up on some bodies English grammar when it doesn't really matter shows a genuine below average level of IQ. I have a friend who does it all the time on Facebook , AS A JOKE, and its really funny. It's funny because no well rounded individual would go out of their way to !Ake someone feel small over such a small matter. Only those with some social issues would. Facts brothers, facts.

You don't say who this is aimed at, but since Ellis included me in the people he thought was belittling him, I can only assume you also include me. I said that it may seam churlish to mention grammar but the reality is that a forum is a written medium and clarity and meaning come from correct use of language. My example was meant to illustrate that, not belittle. It's not difficult to choose between your and you're or there, their and they're so why not? People spend hours choosing a cable, why not spend seconds choosing the right word.

The rest of your post about your friend, IQ and social issues shows that this touches a nerve with you and clearly I had no way of knowing that would happen. Incidentally, did you look at the link I posted. You will see that it includes a joke about engineer's social skills.

I hadn't read your post Mr sawyer, and was in no way aimed at you. I've just noticed a few posts over the last month where people have made childish personal attacks on someone's grammar or spelling. Some of may be from another country and spending a lot of effort trying to write posts, and I really admire these people. Or so ebody may be dyslexic, people I also admire. Or it may just be a spelling mistake or grammar mistake from tiredness, or whatever, it doesn't matter. I'm sure there there are many examples of very intelligent people who couldn't spell properly. One that comes straight to mind is Shakespeare, who spelt his name in something like 15 different ways.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Yes I go on about noise because to me that is one key area of focus that makes the difference between great sound and the rest which is pretty average for the most part from what I have heard in comparison. Pretty average being kind in description to some of it.

Really good sound is a game of % and in my view you have to put as many your way as you can. Nothing is too much and it's nothing to do with being shiny or expensive a lot of what I have bought has been for a specific functionality reasons. Price is irrelevant within my affordability range, the cheaper the better but often really good bits are not cheap and there is no surprise there.

Yes lots of kit is extremely well made and does a grand job but I don't think anything is perfect so far that I have experienced so to think thrre is nothing that can be done to help the overall picture I think is wrong

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
I admire your fortitude. I have long since given up the fight, as it's a futile exercise that leads to nothing but frustration and changes nobody's mind.

My advice goes something like, "I've personally heard a difference, so why not try it for yourself", and leave it at that.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
For the record the disc that I linked to a few pages back is an outstanding piece of work.

If you hear it done well it makes most of other cds sound pretty shocking even good ones.

The level of detail and ambience that has been picked up is incredible so say what you want but that disc is the perfect tool to seperate the great from the average.

It has everything except really driving pumping bass which a good system should do just as well as a bass guitar or double bass imo.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
ellisdj said:
Yes I go on about noise because to me that is one key area of focus that makes the difference between great sound and the rest which is pretty average for the most part from what I have heard in comparison. Pretty average being kind in description to some of it.

Really good sound is a game of % and in my view you have to put as many your way as you can. Nothing is too much and it's nothing to do with being shiny or expensive a lot of what I have bought has been for a specific functionality reasons. Price is irrelevant within my affordability range, the cheaper the better but often really good bits are not cheap and there is no surprise there.

Yes lots of kit is extremely well made and does a grand job but I don't think anything is perfect so far that I have experienced so to think thrre is nothing that can be done to help the overall picture I think is wrong

Thats fair enough but for most people spending large amounts of money on cables and mains conditioners is a real issue, I think you are the first person I have come across who has spent such a high porportion of their budget on such things.

What other things do you believe in? Cable directionality, cable burn in, isolating each compnent from vibrations?

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
I admire your fortitude. I have long since given up the fight, as it's a futile exercise that leads to nothing but frustration and changes nobody's mind.

My advice goes something like, "I've personally heard a difference, so why not try it for yourself", and leave it at that.
Cno I will never quite it's not in my blood. The more people who will get to hear my system which has no right to sound good considering its av and a computer will see what I mean pretty easy.

Why don't people buy that cd and listen to it and put your system to the true test.
It shows you in the accompanying pamphlet how it's been recorded - does your system do it justice. Can it do all the different ambiences of the different venues.
Does it make a cello sound the size of a real instrument.

Can it keep up in terms of timing with that jazz band and big band complex pieces.

Lots to test great disc

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
ellisdj said:
Why don't people buy that cd and listen to it and put your system to the true test. It shows you in the accompanying pamphlet how it's been recorded - does your system do it justice. Can it do all the different ambiences of the different venues. Does it make a cello sound the size of a real instrument.

Can it keep up in terms of timing with that jazz band and big band complex pieces.

Lots to test great disc

Well it sounds good on my system, so what does that prove? If it does not sound good is that down to the mains electric? It could be any number of things, I think many hifi systems are poorly matched thats why people are always looking to change or upgrade them. The only way to tell is to do with and without tests.

As for Chelmsford cathedral that recording sounds a bit warm, probably because of the tube mikes?

Also as you say you like a warm sound so that is not very authentic?

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
How does the Chelmsford cathedral sound warm?

It's the oposite it sounds like a group of young choir boys Standing in a small group singing with the echo of the church and organ in the background.
You get great contrast between the solo singers and the full choir in terms of how lost the individual voice sounds.
Warm no Good yes

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
I suppose for contrast dire straights brothers in arms the newer redone version I would say is a warm disc just so I am referencing something to warm

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
ellisdj said:
How does the Chelmsford cathedral sound warm?

It's the oposite it sounds like a group of young choir boys Standing in a small group singing with the echo of the church and organ in the background. You get great contrast between the solo singers and the full choir in terms of how lost the individual voice sounds. Warm no Good yes

I have been to Chelmsford Cathedral several times, I was expecting something a bit more neutral, to me theres a touch of warmth, maybe its just my imagination. I thought the tube mics may have added a touch of warmth. You can't compare it to Dire Straits which I don't have anyway.

radiorog

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
radiorog said:
TomSawyer said:
radiorog said:
From my experience, people who are rude enough to pick up on some bodies English grammar when it doesn't really matter shows a genuine below average level of IQ. I have a friend who does it all the time on Facebook , AS A JOKE, and its really funny. It's funny because no well rounded individual would go out of their way to !Ake someone feel small over such a small matter. Only those with some social issues would. Facts brothers, facts.

You don't say who this is aimed at, but since Ellis included me in the people he thought was belittling him, I can only assume you also include me. I said that it may seam churlish to mention grammar but the reality is that a forum is a written medium and clarity and meaning come from correct use of language. My example was meant to illustrate that, not belittle. It's not difficult to choose between your and you're or there, their and they're so why not? People spend hours choosing a cable, why not spend seconds choosing the right word.

The rest of your post about your friend, IQ and social issues shows that this touches a nerve with you and clearly I had no way of knowing that would happen. Incidentally, did you look at the link I posted. You will see that it includes a joke about engineer's social skills.

I hadn't read your post Mr sawyer, and was in no way aimed at you. I've just noticed a few posts over the last month where people have made childish personal attacks on someone's grammar or spelling. Some of may be from another country and spending a lot of effort trying to write posts, and I really admire these people. Or so ebody may be dyslexic, people I also admire. Or it may just be a spelling mistake or grammar mistake from tiredness, or whatever, it doesn't matter. I'm sure there there are many examples of very intelligent people who couldn't spell properly. One that comes straight to mind is Shakespeare, who spelt his name in something like 15 different ways.

OK, did a little search and this came up. Not totally surprised that Einstein wasn't the best speller, because, it doesn't really matter how you spell, as long as you convey your message adequately, you have succeeded. People who are hung up on grammar and spelling, either have ocd, or should get more.....imho!

http://www.leelofland.com/wordpress/15-famous-thinkers-who-couldnt-spell/

Dom

radiorog said:
or should get more.....imho!

lindsay-lohan-body-double-machete.jpg

andyjm

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
TomSawyer said:
One thing I don't understand though is why, if mobile phones in this country operate at 800MHz as their lowest frequency, can we hear the noise when induced in an audio cable?

Thanks

A good question. The answer is complicated, so I will try to keep it simple. Lets say your mobile phone outputs a burst of data every second when it is going through a handshake cycle with the mast. The data burst istelf contains data pulses transmitted 100 times per second superimposed on a 800MHz carrier.

This is picked up by your amp and finds its way to the input stages. All things being equal, a 800MHz signal should be ignored, but any non-linearity in any of the components in the amp will act as a demodulator (albeit a poor one), and effectively demodulate the signal into a series of 100Hz bursts. This is then amplified and gives the 'zzt zzt zzt'.

There is a bit more than this going on, but in principle this is about right.

TomSawyer

Apr 17, 2016
Visit site
andyjm said:
TomSawyer said:
One thing I don't understand though is why, if mobile phones in this country operate at 800MHz as their lowest frequency, can we hear the noise when induced in an audio cable?

Thanks

A good question. The answer is complicated, so I will try to keep it simple. Lets say your mobile phone outputs a burst of data every second when it is going through a handshake cycle with the mast. The data burst istelf contains data pulses transmitted 100 times per second superimposed on a 800MHz carrier.

This is picked up by your amp and finds its way to the input stages. All things being equal, a 800MHz signal should be ignored, but any non-linearity in any of the components in the amp will act as a demodulator (albeit a poor one), and effectively demodulate the signal into a series of 100Hz bursts. This is then amplified and gives the 'zzt zzt zzt'.

There is a bit more than this going on, but in principle this is about right.

Thanks.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts