Hear how Mains Conditioning Improves your Hifi

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
pauln said:

Pauln - picking up on my english, top marks for that one, buy that man a drink - its not school, does it make you feel bigger to do that - well in that case. What is wrong with people to feel they need to do that - second time

We are discussing hifi - it doesnt matter if someone spells something wrong or uses improper your or you are - that doesnt change a thing its just a weak attempt at belittling.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
ellisdj said:
Noone mentioned Cables BigH - you are trying to deliberately twist the thread off the positive topic.

And still noone is saying they are going to try one a device out - which is the only test.

Noise is manifested on the signal and generated from loads of places, it clouds actual clarity and organic character of what your listening to - if you think your listening to noise free sound you live in dream land - noone is

No I was not, I was just looking at the Isotek video and it was going on about RF and how their expensive cable gets rid of it, so what. If you have a mains conditioner do you need expensive mains cables as well or does that do away with the need of them?

As I said I did the test with the volume, even with the computer contected there is no noise at all on my system. So no I won't be trying one out and there is loads of clarity on my system already thats one reason why I bought it.

As for your English, it is very annoying your use of noone so many times.

TomSawyer

Apr 17, 2016
Visit site
ellisdj said:
...it doesnt matter if someone spells something wrong or uses improper your or you are...

I admit that it can seem churlish and hardly on topic to criticise someone's English, but it can change the meaning. There's quite a difference between your pants and you're pants, for example.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Wow English lesson thanks guys - who do you think you pair are to post like that - honestly you wouldn't say it someone's face because it's rude and I bet your not rude people in real life. It reads as bitterness btw not sure what about tbh no need for it

Either way your head is in the sand if you think you have no noise in your system just because you don't hear any pops or crackles when you turn it up.

Edbo2

Mar 6, 2016
Visit site
ellisdj said:
I came across this while looking for something else.

I am a big advocate of the importance of mains products - for those who dont belive it go and listen and see if you hear any differences and be proven right or wrong

Forgot to add this - More Details Here 

There will be exclusive offers and deals for attendees over the two days! Plus all visitors can claim a FREE 10% OFF Hi-Fi discount voucher. 
Afficienados install a dedicated mains spur from the fuse box. Internal power supplies in HiFi components are good at supressing mains noise

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Agreed they are good but do you think they are perfect - I very much doubt it.
No power supplies are created equal either phone Paul Hynes and ask him about them- about an 18 month waiting list for one from him

TomSawyer

Apr 17, 2016
Visit site
ellisdj said:
I bet your not rude people in real life.

I am. I'm an engineer so I have "an extreme intuition of all things mechanical and electrical and other social ineptitude"

See https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8vHhgh6oM0 for the definitive work on the subject.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
ellisdj said:
Wow English lesson thanks guys - who do you think you pair are to post like that - honestly you wouldn't say it someone's face because it's rude and I bet your not rude people in real life. It reads as bitterness btw not sure what about tbh no need for it

Either way your head is in the sand if you think you have no noise in your system just because you don't hear any pops or crackles when you turn it up.

I was not being rude and yes if someone did kept repeately making the same mistakes I would point it out otherwise they will not learn and people will be laughing at them. Yes I will keep my head down in the sand and my money in my pocket when it comes to mains conditioners.

You still got that window in your room?

radiorog

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
ellisdj said:

From my experience, people who are rude enough to pick up on some bodies English grammar when it doesn't really matter shows a genuine below average level of IQ. I have a friend who does it all the time on Facebook , AS A JOKE, and its really funny. It's funny because no well rounded individual would go out of their way to !Ake someone feel small over such a small matter. Only those with some social issues would. Facts brothers, facts.

TomSawyer

Apr 17, 2016
Visit site
radiorog said:
From my experience, people who are rude enough to pick up on some bodies English grammar when it doesn't really matter shows a genuine below average level of IQ. I have a friend who does it all the time on Facebook , AS A JOKE, and its really funny. It's funny because no well rounded individual would go out of their way to !Ake someone feel small over such a small matter. Only those with some social issues would. Facts brothers, facts.

You don't say who this is aimed at, but since Ellis included me in the people he thought was belittling him, I can only assume you also include me. I said that it may seam churlish to mention grammar but the reality is that a forum is a written medium and clarity and meaning come from correct use of language. My example was meant to illustrate that, not belittle. It's not difficult to choose between your and you're or there, their and they're so why not? People spend hours choosing a cable, why not spend seconds choosing the right word.

The rest of your post about your friend, IQ and social issues shows that this touches a nerve with you and clearly I had no way of knowing that would happen. Incidentally, did you look at the link I posted. You will see that it includes a joke about engineer's social skills.

Dom

356lvb.jpg

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
David@FrankHarvey said:
If anyone is a little unsure as to when to use "you're" and "your", use "you are" more often. This approacg is far more obvious as to which is correct :)

Sorry David not having a dig but in the grander scheme of things relative does it really matter for purposes of a hifi forum.
It matters more what's written is understandable and use of any of the you re you are are always very obvious. It's purposeful nit picking that we can hopefully leave behind now.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
David@FrankHarvey said:
If anyone is a little unsure as to when to use "you're" and "your", use "you are" more often. This approacg is far more obvious as to which is correct :)

Sorry David not having a dig but in the grander scheme of things relative does it really matter for purposes of a hifi forum.
It matters more what's written is understandable and use of any of the you re you are are always very obvious. It's purposeful nit picking that we can hopefully leave behind now.

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
BigH said:
ellisdj said:

I was not being rude and yes if someone did[font="ProximaNova-Semibold, arial, verdana, sans-serif"] kept repeately[/font] making the same mistakes I would point it out otherwise they will not learn and people will be laughing at them. Yes I will keep my head down in the sand and my money in my pocket when it comes to mains conditioners.

You still got that window in your room?

Woops :) kept repeately

andyjm

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
TomSawyer said:
Andy,

I assume you are saying that a DC offset causes RF to be produced within the case rather than ambient RF causes a DC offset in the mains?

Tom,

Apologies for not being clear.

DC offset can cause large currents to flow in the transformer windings, leading to the iron core becoming saturated. This is turn leads to the transformer making a buzzing sound. To be clear, this isn't out of the speakers - the transformer itself buzzes. In principle there should be no DC offset on mains, but asymetric loads (large dimmers, motor controls, industrial equipment) can introduce an offset. Unlikely domestically in the UK.

RF is entirely separate - and is everywhere. You can't hear RF, so in of itself it isn't an issue, but interaction with non linear components in the amp can produce audible baseband noise. The 'zzt zzt zzt' noise you hear when a mobile phone is placed near audio equipment is exactly this effect (often picked up by speaker cables, not mains cables).

In electronics, out of band noise is easy to fix. The audible 0-20KHz signal is miles away from the 100KHz and up RF noise, and a few cheap components can filter it out. This is why for domestic use in a developed country, mains conditioners are generally not required. The best place for the filter components is just inside the amp case, where the mains cable enters - and this is where most reputable designers put it.

Edit: £5 will buy an excellent filter that blocks RF from entering the amp enclosure. Google Fn9222r-10-06 for an example.

TomSawyer

Apr 17, 2016
Visit site
ellisdj said:
It matters more what's written is understandable and use of any of the you re you are are always very obvious.

Sorry Ellis, forgive me. As TrevC has already observed, I am hard work. But it's not the use of you're versus you are, as you say, that confuses. Those are perfectly interchangeable both meaning the same thing. It's substituting your for you're which changes the meaning of sentences.

In my example, your pants are the pants belonging to you whereas you're pants means you are pants. Incidentally, that was just an example, not aimed at anyone.

If you fully understood that and still think it's nitpicking, then fair enough, but it is different for a reason. No offence meant.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
What is the efficiency of a power line filter 10-20db at its most efficient freq.

Do you think that is sufficient and that they cover a wide enough freq all in. I am not so sure but do feel every little helps. I think a large part of what we are hearing is noise and that's just how it is and why things rarely sound truly authentic. Noise also in the recording stage and mixing stage etc.

Noise is the enemy and we need to declare war against it at every stage

TomSawyer

Apr 17, 2016
Visit site
andyjm said:
The 'zzt zzt zzt' noise you hear when a mobile phone is placed near audio equipment is exactly this effect (often picked up by speaker cables, not mains cables).

Thanks for the comprehensive reply. Having spent 25 years in heavy industry I'm relatively familiar with the importance of immunising electronics from EMI. As you can imagine, the danger of a train with two fully energised 4MVA 25kV transformers, three phase drives and motors and auxiliary inverters passing a signalling cabinet doing something to undermine the safety integrity of the signalling system is pretty key.

One thing I don't understand though is why, if mobile phones in this country operate at 800MHz as their lowest frequency, can we hear the noise when induced in an audio cable?

Thanks

TrevC

ellisdj said:
David@FrankHarvey said:

Sorry David not having a dig but in the grander scheme of things relative does it really matter for purposes of a hifi forum. It matters more what's written is understandable and use of any of the you re you are are always very obvious. It's purposeful nit picking that we can hopefully leave behind now.

It does matter, yes, and it isn't nit picking.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
ellisdj said:
What is the efficiency of a power line filter 10-20db at its most efficient freq.

Do you think that is sufficient and that they cover a wide enough freq all in. I am not so sure but do feel every little helps. I think a large part of what we are hearing is noise and that's just how it is and why things rarely sound truly authentic. Noise also in the recording stage and mixing stage etc.

You go on about noise and authentic but then you link to recordings that use tube mikes?

All due respect but a lot of your music is never going to be authentic, its probably made up of loads of different samples and filtered no end of times.

TrevC

ellisdj said:

Stick an oscilloscope on a reservoir cap in any amp you like and you won't find any noise at all. It's all been removed.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts