Glass TV Unit

near dark

May 5, 2009
Visit site
Hi,

Im currently looking at a replacement TV unit .

My current unit is black ash(wood),and supports my 46" Samsung

Theres a strange absence of units which we like in black ash.

The glass units look very nice,especially the smoked versions. But I have concerns regarding products made from glass.This was highlighted in a previous job

Should I be concerned that the glass could/may shatter ?,the last thing we need is the TV becoming usable due to the unit shattering.

Your thoughts please

Many thanks

simonlewis

Apr 15, 2008
Visit site
I have had glass racks for six years (2008) and mine are perfecyly fine, obviously you have to be carefull and read maufactures suggested maximum weight, i don't know what wooden racks are like but glass racks get very dirty/dusty very quickly and if you haven't got a slave to clean them regularly they can look very shabby very quickly.

jamesrfisher

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
I have a Soundstyle one and have had it for over 10 years. Never been a problem.

Tv on top of rack

Cable box and DVD player on middle

Various bits on lower rack including a vortexbox as close to the wifi hub.

I first bought the unit when I has an old 32" CRT tv, that was very heavy but was within guidelines and caused no problem. Just think how heavy that was compared to a modern one. Should be no problems.

ayjaycee

Dec 30, 2007
Visit site
We have had an Alphason Ambri 1100-BLK for about 4 years without any problems other than it being a dust magnet! IMHO, it looks good and, according to the website (http://www.alphasondesigns.com/tv-units/alphason-design-first/ambri/abrd-1100-blk-television-stand-in-black.htm), can handle a load of 50Kgs which, I think, is probably way more than most modern TVs that would fit on it. According to the spec sheet, our TV (a 46" Samsung UE46F8000) only weighs in at about 14Kgs but, in any event, the load if further spread by the use of a plinth under the TV which is necessary to raise it to enable a centre speaker to sit in front of it.

My system is here: http://www.whathifi.com/forum/your-system/system-updated-again

ElectroMan

Nov 20, 2008
Visit site
I had a Stands Unique glass shelf equipment rack for over 10 years and it was fine.

However, when I was moving it last year, one of the glass shelves slipped off and crashed to the floor. You wouldn't believe how many tiny pieces it shattered into, and how long it was before I stopped finding them!

But if you aren't clumsy like me you should be fine!
regular_smile.gif

near dark

May 5, 2009
Visit site
ElectroMan said:
I had a Stands Unique glass shelf equipment rack for over 10 years and it was fine.

However, when I was moving it last year, one of the glass shelves slipped off and crashed to the floor. You wouldn't believe how many tiny pieces it shattered into, and how long it was before I stopped finding them!

But if you aren't clumsy like me you should be fine!

Thanks.

Thats what concerns me the most,the broken glass. We have seen one we like,just checking the specs on the website prior to purchase .Thanks

nottsprince

Aug 11, 2014
Visit site
Hi all

I have had my Soundstyle TV stand in my living room for more than a decade now and whilst I did initially use it as a TV stand it now houses my Sky HD+ box and games console as the TV is now wall mounted.

To my horror the table shattered into a million pieces for now reason at all and I have no idea of how to replace it.

I have been advised but it may be very expensive to replace. Can anyone help?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts