Expert advice needed...Pioneer SC-LX83 with Spendor SA1???

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi Guys,

I own a Pioneer SC-LX 83 receiver for two weeks now. I am very happy with it!!

I also ordered the Spendor SA1 speakers and I will get those speakers in two weeks.

My local hifi dealer told me that this av receiver can’t handle the Spendor SA1 speakers even when the receiver performs at his very best. The dealer told me that it would be much better to sell this receiver, and maybe for something like the Naim Uniti with NACA5 speaker cable, because this will make much difference in the sound quality?

Are there other options?
Like keeping the Pioneer receiver and use the pre-outs on the sc-lx83 to run to the stereo amp from naim(which I need to buy) and can the pioneer's mcacc processing handles this?

Or do you have other suggestions?

Thanks for your help!!

A

Anonymous

A top of the range amp cant handle the SA1
emotion-3.gif

Depends what you want it for, a 2 channel top quality amp would be better for music, but if you watch TV and movies to then the 83 will do just fine.

A

Anonymous

thanks canada for your reply! I use it for: 70% music and 30% movies and tv.

I hope someone can help me to make up my mind.
emotion-42.gif

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
There's loads of people out there with mismatched speakers/amplification, so you wouldn't be the first!

The SA1's are designed as a hi-fi speaker. They will perform better with a dedicated hi-fi amplifier - many AV receivers just aren't up to the job of driving high quality hi-fi speakers properly. The Pioneer LX73 and LX83 amps are a little different. I have found that they control more awkward speakers better than normal AV receivers that use the more common Class A/B amplification. The LX82 I bought has turned the musical quality of my system upside down - it's surprising how good it is. I have no doubt that the LX83 will drive the SA1's as far as volume is concerned - how well they perform with them will be another matter. I think it'll be a case of suck it and see.

I would keep separate hi-fi and AV systems if possible.

A

Anonymous

FrankHarveyHiFi:There's loads of people out there with mismatched speakers/amplification, so you wouldn't be the first! The SA1's are designed as a hi-fi speaker. They will perform better with a dedicated hi-fi amplifier - many AV receivers just aren't up to the job of driving high quality hi-fi speakers properly. The Pioneer LX73 and LX83 amps are a little different. I have found that they control more awkward speakers better than normal AV receivers that use the more common Class A/B amplification. The LX82 I bought has turned the musical quality of my system upside down - it's surprising how good it is. I have no doubt that the LX83 will drive the SA1's as far as volume is concerned - how well they perform with them will be another matter. I think it'll be a case of suck it and see. I would keep separate hi-fi and AV systems if possible.

Thanks David for your advice, as usual!!
emotion-21.gif

The problem is that I will get those speakers in two weeks and selling my receiver now will be a better bet for the price.

I don't need 5.1 setup with those speakers and play all of my movies via the pc at this moment. Do you think that if I go for Naim XS or Uniti will this make much difference in the sound quality over the LX83?

A

Anonymous

Inthemood - can I ask you what made you buy the Lx83 in the first place?

It sounds like you wanted a stereo amp to begin with?

A

Anonymous

FrankHarveyHiFi:inthemooed:Do you think that if I go for Naim XS or Uniti will this make much difference in the sound quality over the LX83? If you're talking Nait XS, definitely!
emotion-1.gif

Thanks David, and yes you're right!! It's Nait XS I am talking about...
emotion-5.gif

One more question: will I get the same results with: Uniti and NAP200 setup?

A

Anonymous

barnsleydave:

Inthemood - can I ask you what made you buy the Lx83 in the first place?

It sounds like you wanted a stereo amp to begin with?

That is very good question..
emotion-5.gif
I was thinking about the MA Apex range speakers at first....

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
inthemooed:

Thanks David, and yes you're right!! It's Nait XS I am talking about...
emotion-5.gif

One more question: will I get the same results with: Uniti and NAP200 setup?

You'll get better power delivery and control from a NAP200, and obviously you'll get the benefits of the Uniti's Extra facilities. I suppose if you're going to stream, this would be a good choice. Although if it's just for Internet radio, your Pioneer will do that, and you could take that signal digitally into a SuperNait.

A

Anonymous

FrankHarveyHiFi:BUT, the Naim amplification would be quite different to the Pioneer's, so a Uniti with the SA1's would make a great independent hi-fi system.

Yeah, cheers to David
emotion-22.gif
emotion-21.gif

Thanks for your advice. I will order the Uniti with my SA1`s, can` t wait...
emotion-2.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts