DVD for Pioneer PDP-428XD

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Narrowed-down the search for a new TV to Sony KDL-40W3000 and Pioneer PDP-428XD, and having read a lot of the content on this site and the recent Supertest am swaying towards the Pioneer.<p>

Like the sound of the Denon 1940, but should I be looking to spend more on a DVD player to make the most of the TV?? Also does it make a big difference how the screen is mounted, i.e. wall, stand etc??<p>

All comments greatly received, thanks

A

Anonymous

i use the Denon 1940 with my 427xd and am very happy. I'm still tweaking though...

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Raver"]
Narrowed-down the search for a new TV to Sony KDL-40W3000 and Pioneer PDP-428XD, and having read a lot of the content on this site and the recent Supertest am swaying towards the Pioneer.<p>

Like the sound of the Denon 1940, but should I be looking to spend more on a DVD player to make the most of the TV?? Also does it make a big difference how the screen is mounted, i.e. wall, stand etc??<p>

All comments greatly received, thanks
[/quote]

Wall monted my 428 at eye level, don't put 'em too high and crick your neck, watching upscaled Alien via PS3 at the mo..........fab

A

Anonymous

thanks, can you recommend a bracket for the 428? Only needs to be fixed, no angling required.

Looks like the Denon could be the one then, unless any else has other ideas......???

A

Anonymous

Just looked at the 600AV, looks like a nice little unit, but why so cheap??

Can a player at such a reasonable price show the real quality of the Pioneer?? Maybe I'm paying too much attention to the "Home Cinema Essentials" in the magazine??

Does the rule of thirds when purchasing hi-fi kit have any place in the world of home cinema??

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Well, not quite thirds since four-figure flatscreens became part of our lives!

Howvever, the Pioneer is such a stupendous set, it's worth feeding it the best source you can afford. I'd consider the Denon DVD-1940 as a minimum, with a high-def disc player ideal if you don't mind making a format gamble. if you want to stick with DVD, something more sophisticated like Marantz's DV7001.

D.J.KRIME

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
I would spend a little more money rather than get the Denon 1940 and go for either the Marantz DV7001 or the Denon DVD2930. Personally I would lean toward the Denon 2930 as it is a cracking machine and you can get a much better deal on it over the Marantz. I almost got a 2930 but was offered a deal I could not resist on a 3930.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Raver"]
thanks, can you recommend a bracket for the 428? Only needs to be fixed, no angling required.

Looks like the Denon could be the one then, unless any else has other ideas......???
[/quote]

Raver

The Vivanco WMS750PLS 30-60" FLAT PLASMA Mount is what I have, simple but very good. Although according to this website I was mugged on price.................

http://www.vivanco-direct.com/acatalog/vivanco_stands_and_brackets_lcd_plasma.html

Rob

A

Anonymous

Thanks guys... found the Denon for £399, Marantz looking more like £599.... is it £200 better??? If I went down the HD player route, could I play my old discs on it??

Pardon my ignorance, but currently have a 5 yr old Sony 32" CRT and Pioneer DV-717 player, which I think give a great picture, am I right to assume the new Pioneer screen with either Denon or Marantz player will be in a different league........ gonna demo them anyway for piece of mind, but guess technology has moved on very significantly since my last purchases.

Anyone got rec for wall-mounting the Pioneer pls?

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
If you're also going to use the Marantz for music, I'd definitely say it was worth the premium. Both HD DVD and Blu-ray players also play DVDs,

And yes, the new Pioneer and player should be a major improvement on what you have now (not that you could say that about every flatscreen vs CRT, even these days...)

Not an expert on wall-mounting flatscreens, i'm afraid, other than to say don't just opt for the manufacturer option, as some after-market products seem to be better value - worth shopping around for one that suits your specific type of wall/required height/any need to swivel or tilt etc.

A

Anonymous

Great, thanks again for all your comments everyone. Fantastic forum with oodles of knowledge out there, made my decision-making process much easier.

Will be back to let you know how I get on, and maybe even pass on a (very) little knowledge of my own!

A

Anonymous

ps, looks like I just missed a 7001 on e-bay for 399...... doh!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts