RIP British Federation of Audio (BFA)

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Formed in 1965 by around thirty British manufacturers of hi-fi equipment, the Federation of British Audio, as it was then called, served to foster the interests of a developing industry and to promote the widest use of its products at home and, especially, overseas. Thanks largely to the dedicated work of those founder-members, British hi-fi equipment became widely respected and helped set the scene — and the standard — for a thriving global industry.

In recent years, as the market has matured, the Federation’s membership has broadened and now consists of a melange of manufacturers and distributors of a wide range of audio, home-theatre products and accessories. To reflect these changes, the name was changed to the British Federation of Audio in 1994. In 2001 the BFA became a Company Limited by Guarantee.

It is important to have an impartial central identifying authority around which the industry can rally. The BFA’s long history and excellent track record make it a natural rallying point and with the industry’s enthusiastic support, the BFA is helping build on the remarkable achievements of the past, towards a bright and expanding future.

The BFA was closed around 2011 due to dwindling support from the industry.

The BFA Plug remains a world standard.

bfa_lions.jpg

The list of members I found from a 2007 Archive.org capture of the official website www.british-audio.org.uk.

Activ Distribution

Andy Giles PR & Media

API UK

ARCAM

Atacama

ATC Loudspeakers

Atlas

Audica

Audio Acoustics

AudioPlus Ltd.

AudioVend

AVID

Beauhorn Loudspeakers Ltd

BenQ UK Ltd

Bose UK Ltd

B&W Loudspeakers

Castle Acoustics

Celestion

Chapter Audio

Chord Company

Chord Electronics

Clearer Audio

Creek Audio

Cyrus Audio Limited

DCS

Denon UK Ltd

Dolby Laboratories Inc

Eclipse TD

Exposure Electronics

Eyework

Ferguson Hill Studios Ltd

Graffix Publishing Ltd

Harman

KEF Audio UK Ltd

Linn Products Ltd

Living Voice

Loricraft Audio

NAD

O'Heocha Designs

PlasmaTVinfo.com

Pure Digital

QED Audio Products

Revolver

Robert Follis Associates

Si-Fi

Sonneteer

Sony UK Ltd

Tannoy Ltd

Triode Audio

Vivadi plc

What Hifi? Sound and Vision

Wilson Benesh Ltd

The list of members I found from September 2010 before the official website went offline.

Arcam

Atlas

AudioPlus Ltd

AudioVend

Bose UK Ltd

B&W Loudspeakers

Chapter Electronics

Dolby Laboratories Inc

Eclipse TD

Harman

KEF Audio UK Ltd

Living Voice

Loricraft Audio

NEAT

O'Heocha Designs

Plasma TV info

Smashing Publicity

Tannoy Ltd

What Hifi? Sound and Vision

The BFA's legacy amounts to the BFA connectors, rank list of classic British hi-fi, and reaction to some imported bad CDs. I couldn't find anything else on the site. Perhaps anyone remembers something more about BFA and their work from 1965 to 2011?

rf_banana.jpg

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Just a bit dissapointed finding out they went bust. *unknw*

Why the membership soared so much in recent years? Such organization should maintain at least a symbolical existance.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Not as much membership as BFA 10 years ago. (edit: I just saw they do have more members, just categorized on separate pages)

Their recent activity is a vinyl media themed show planned for 23rd-24th April 2016. Styl:us

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
From an episode of Frasier ...

" ... at Cornell University they have an incredible piece of scientific equipment known as the Scanning Tunneling Electron Microscope. Now, this microscope is so powerful that by firing electrons you can actually see images of the atom, the infinitesimally minute building blocks of our universe. If I were using that microscope right now, I still wouldn't be able to locate my interest in this subject."

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

chebby said:

" ... at Cornell University they have an incredible piece of scientific equipment known as the Scanning Tunneling Electron Microscope. Now, this microscope is so powerful that by firing electrons you can actually see images of the atom, the infinitesimally minute building blocks of our universe. If I were using that microscope right now, I still wouldn't be able to locate my interest in this subject."

*biggrin*

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
chebby said:

" ... at Cornell University they have an incredible piece of scientific equipment known as the Scanning Tunneling Electron Microscope. Now, this microscope is so powerful that by firing electrons you can actually see images of the atom, the infinitesimally minute building blocks of our universe. If I were using that microscope right now, I still wouldn't be able to locate my interest in this subject."

*ROFL* .......

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
spiny norman said:
Trouble is, the hi-fi industry has always been so busy fighting itself that it neber got round to organising strategies to challenge the other demands on people's spare cash, from cars to computers to holidays.

That holds from manufacturers all the way down to retail, and explains why it has almost always been up to individuals, publishers or outside companies to organise things like hi-fi shows, let alone events that might attract non-enthusiasts to turn out and find out what a decent sound system could bring to their lives.

It's all very well blaming Apple or Napster or TPB for destroying the music and audio industries, but in reality both have long been their own worst enemies.
On a personal level, I totally agree.

spiny norman

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
Trouble is, the hi-fi industry has always been so busy fighting itself that it never got round to organising strategies to challenge the other demands on people's spare cash, from cars to computers to holidays.

That holds from manufacturers all the way down to retail, and explains why it has almost always been up to individuals, publishers or outside companies to organise things like hi-fi shows, let alone events that might attract non-enthusiasts to turn out and find out what a decent sound system could bring to their lives.

It's all very well blaming Apple or Napster or TPB for destroying the music and audio industries, but in reality both have long been their own worst enemies.

spiny norman

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
David@FrankHarvey said:
On a personal level, I totally agree.

Thanks, and apologies for spelling mistake in my post, now corrected.

Compare and contrast with Germany, where the High End Society organises a hugely popular show each year, which is now almost universally acknowledged as the only 'must attend' on the international audio show calendar.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
spiny norman said:
Compare and contrast with Germany, where the High End Society organises a hugely popular show each year, which is now almost universally acknowledged as the only 'must attend' on the international audio show calendar.
I've only been once, and I didn't really get to look around the whole show as I was there for a specific product launch, but what I did see was extremely impressive, making Bristol look like a small indoor market! (No offence to any organisers etc). It was huge, with rooms that actually seemed to remove outside noise. It'd be nice to go again and have a proper look and listen.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
spiny norman said:
Vladimir said:
I have to visit the High End Show in Munich some day.

What's the biggest Hi-Fi show in the UK?

Bristol

"AudioNote UK Ltd will be showcasing an all new EL34 Push Pull line amplifier 25 Watts per channel, with on board DAC. UK Retail circa £2,000"

Hmmm...

That's a 'bargain basement' price in Audio-Note world and twice as powerful as Quad's new £1500 valve/DAC integrated. The choice of (just about) affordable valve DAC/amps seems be increasing.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
David@FrankHarvey said:
chebby said:
"AudioNote UK Ltd will be showcasing an all new EL34 Push Pull line amplifier 25 Watts per channel, with on board DAC. UK Retail circa £2,000"

Hmmm...

That's a 'bargain basement' price in Audio-Note world.

What does it sound like?

Not heard it.

I was just pasting something that piqued my interest from the Bristol show website linked above.

TRENDING THREADS