Do Q Acoustics 3020 speakers have better highs than Q Acoustics 2020?

George

Nov 20, 2014
Visit site
Hi, I have a pair of old Q Acoustic 2020 speakers running off a Marantz PM6004 amp. I like the sound of the 2020's BUT they lack top end, ie cymbals really do not really shine they just lurk in the background. Last Christmas I tried a pair of Dali Zensor 3's after reading they were quite bright sounding speakers but after comparing them with my Q Acoustic 2020's I did not hear much improvement in the highs and on the whole I still prefered the sound of my Q Acoustic 2020's. Does anyone think that the new Q Acoustic 3020's would give me the high end sparkle i'm after but still have similar overall sonic charateristics of the 2020's (ie; nice tight bass and detailed mids?

Also I have toyed with the idea of wiring on some better tweeters and placing them on top of my 2020's, but I would not know how to go about wiring crossovers or which tweeters to get?

Thanks in advance.

DannyB

Nov 12, 2015
Visit site
The 3020's are stand out for their price, honestly vastly improved from the 2020i's ( still fantastic to this day )

They also have something called a ring dome tweeter, basically a 2 tweeter format, this means it has better dispertion so you have a wider listening range for the highs

George

Nov 20, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for that info. I am seriously thinking about ordering a pair of 3020's and if I order from Amazon I should be able to return them if I really don't notice much improvement. BTW my current speakers are the older 2020's not the 2020i's so I would imagine that the 3020's should be a marked improvement *unknw*

George

Nov 20, 2014
Visit site
RobinKidderminster said:
OK assume the tweeters 'point's towards yr ears. (No reply reqired)

OK fair point, but I have an 80's boombox in my kitchen and I can clearly hear the treble from the tweeters on that standing anywhere in the room BUT even if I put my ears next to my Q Acoustics 2020's it does not make much difference and besides if I have to be fixed to a certain spot to get good sounds from a pair of speakers I might as well be wearing headphones.

TRENDING THREADS